Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want just the shell/case, not the battery cells. I have bunch of 18650 cells that need a home.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've been trying to find a waterproof hard shell/case/enclosure like Lupine's SmartCore batteries have, for 2 and 4 cell batteries. No success so far.

Does anyone know where I could find those?
You're going to have to adapt something to do the job. To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing out there for the DIY market that is specifically designed to allow you to enclose your pack in a "low profile" waterproof hardshell, similar to the Gemini packs. Personally, I have a method of using fiberglass reinforced tape and about 4 coats of UV-resistant black, Plastidip. Works great, but the Plastic is not cheap.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I wrap battery packs in Self-fusing silicone tape, then cover with a coat of shrink-wrap. I just paint the gaps at the ends with a bit of plasti-dip. Much cleaner and less smelly than multiple full coats.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've got a few of the hard cases I made for my 4 x 18650 batteries left. They've got a cable grommet on the end. I'll see if I can find some pics...

Edit: Some pics here:http://forums.mtbr.com/6215889-post137.html

They are machined out of a solid piece of acetal. The top plate is screwed in place (with a bit of silicon around the join...I can get some dimensions if you're interested.

·
Registered
373 Posts
if you can buy it, buy it.
especially for 2cell,
Lupine is very good, and very good sealed.
for diving , get diving canisters.
for generic waterproof cases, look at pelican cases.
for quick affordable, a mailing tube.
other option, to use a water-bottle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems like the cases might be soon available, from Fenix! Scroll down to see the batterycases (the wording implies it really is just the case).

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
You can easily modify cellphone/mobile device hardshell waterproof cases meant for whitewater paddling. Check stores that cater to that sport (either rafting or kayaking).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts