Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Quick question: anyone have a source for 2006 al ML frames? I'd even consider the '06 ti version... maybe (that's a wad of cash).

I'm looking at the ML as my first FS frame, but I'm not in love with the CF seatstays of the 2007 models (I know, it's total sacrilege... but I avoid CF as a way of life). Before I start demo'ing bikes on my "short list," I'd like to know whether the all-al ML is even an option. I could look at the '07 ML "complete" and eBay the parts, but that's a pain... and I'd be stuck with the copper ano.

While I'm at it... I've read elsewhere (here and here) that the new hydro/CF rear triangle gains some stiffness over the all-al models... can anyone verify? Also, is there any difference in tire clearance? Ideally, I'd like to run 2.3" tires without having to swap out for the odd mud ride (it happens in CA, but not terribly often). Any other salient differences between the '06 and '07 MLs?

Thanks,

--MW

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Hi!

I'm not sure you can still get 06s, but if you want the all alu ML complete, you might be able to trade in the parts, with the dealer... I'd recommend that you contact BikerBob he might be able to work a deal with you

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
2007 Motolite

New thought. Get the light carbon-based rear that comes with the ML2. If it ever breaks, get new improved replacement.
I don't think it will be an issue, though. They actually do materials testing on frames.

·
GASing
508 Posts
MW, you're in my neck of the woods. You're welcome to give my MotoLite a try. It's a Large '06, all aluminum. I got mine for $1000 from eBay.

Bikerbob is offering killer deals on those demos. I don't think you would go wrong buying from him.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BikerBob: "I bet if you bought a 2007 with carbon rear, you could find several Motolite fanatics on this forum who would give you their first born along with their '06 rear for it."

Ah... of course. "One man's garbage is another man's treasure," or something like that. Not that I think CF is garbage... I don't want to start a war here.

Anyway, this is a great suggestion. If I end up going for the ML-2, will I be able to swap out just the seatstays, or will it have to be the entire rear triangle? Gotta wonder what kind of bizarre-o up-trade offers I might get, though. <chuckle>

Funkle "MW, you're in my neck of the woods. You're welcome to give my MotoLite a try."

Really?! Let me contact my nearest Titus dealer and see if there's a ready-to-roll demo for me (may as well try the official channels, after all)... if that doesn't work, maybe we can meet up for a Saturday ride at ECdM sometime in Feburary? You can tool around on my $1k hardtail while I test drive your high-zoot ML. :) I'll PM and we can go from there.

Thanks for the feedback,

--MW

·
GASing
508 Posts
mwnovak said:
BikerBob: "I bet if you bought a 2007 with carbon rear, you could find several Motolite fanatics on this forum who would give you their first born along with their '06 rear for it."

Ah... of course. "One man's garbage is another man's treasure," or something like that. Not that I think CF is garbage... I don't want to start a war here.

Anyway, this is a great suggestion. If I end up going for the ML-2, will I be able to swap out just the seatstays, or will it have to be the entire rear triangle? Gotta wonder what kind of bizarre-o up-trade offers I might get, though. <chuckle>

Funkle "MW, you're in my neck of the woods. You're welcome to give my MotoLite a try."

Really?! Let me contact my nearest Titus dealer and see if there's a ready-to-roll demo for me (may as well try the official channels, after all)... if that doesn't work, maybe we can meet up for a Saturday ride at ECdM sometime in Feburary? You can tool around on my $1k hardtail while I test drive your high-zoot ML. :) I'll PM and we can go from there.

Thanks for the feedback,

--MW
Roaring Mouse Cycles in SF has a medium ML demo, and they may have one in large now. They charge $50 for a 24hr demo, applicable to your purchase. They are one of the best shops I've seen. I felt very compelled to buy from them, but I just could not afford paying the premium.

But as I said, I have no problem with letting you take a test ride down at ECDMOS. I'm sure you'll be a convert, and if you buy from Bob, maybe he'll send me some socks :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i hear you on the CF avoidance, you are not alone my friend. you will never find CF on any part of a trail bike frame sitting in my garage, but hey whatever works for em :)

i would not trade my FR aluminum rear (aka BEEFNESS) for a CF rear and cash. that rear is one of the reasons I chose the ML to begin with.

oh, and i'm running the 2.3 cinders with a ghetto tubeless setup, really hits the spot and plenty of room to spare

·
Slarts
145 Posts
There is an aluminum version for 2007

Titus are offering a complete Moto for 2007 with the older style all aluminum frame. May well be worth buying the complete bike and trading in the parts as complete bike is only $2500. The shop I own is in your area and does have demo Motos available. You can track me down easy enough, just don't want to advertise directly on the forum.

Slarts
The Bike Shop That Dare Not Speak Its Name

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
for an 06 Motolite try...

the guys at Revolution in Sandy, UT should have a few 06's leftover. the last time I was in the shop they were wheelin & dealin on the leftover 06 inventory. don't have a # handy but they are listed on the titus dealer page

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.