Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have experience with a buyer from outside the country wanting to buy your stuff, overpay with a cashiers check, or something similar, then request that you return the overpayment? It doesn't sound right to me.
below is one of the emails I got in response to my bike for sale ad.

Anybody recognize this possible scam, or this possible scammer in particular?

You received the following message from [email protected] in response to your ad or message:
Name: [email protected]
Subject: BIKE $1750+$400-$2150 PAYMENT & SHIPPIN
Date: 08/01/2004
Message: Hii,Tom I got your mail safely and so Right now you know I'm going to ask my biz associate to issue the check of $6,850 in your name and you'll send the excess funds to my shipper via western union,for him to come for the pick up at your location,I ll give you my shipping agent's datas as soon as the check gets to you,He's handles my shipping arrangement. I will be giving $400 for your (efforts and western union fees) I'll be very grateful if really you can do everything the same day you recieve the check for a faster transaction and bcos i am really eager o see it.... I'll need your datas for the check to get to you soonest.. NAME.. ADDRESS.. ZIP CODE.. CITY.. STATE... COUNTRY.. PHONE NUMBER (HOME,OFFICE,CELL) Pls mail me today,to let me know what's good.Please mail directly to ( [email protected]

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
you could try it anyway, it's only a scam if the check doesn't clear....

maybe have him send you the check and try and cash it... if it works THEN send bike and cash back.

i doubt you'll get anything more than a fraudulant check though...

·
Registered
210 Posts
max-a-mill said:

maybe have him send you the check and try and cash it... if it works THEN send bike and cash back.

I disagree. It's a definite scam and a waste of time to bother cashing it. Notice how the guy asks that you send the item the same day you cash the check? That's cause it will take longer than that for the bank to determine whether it's real or not. This has to be the most common scam I see on the net.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
That is the problem.

max-a-mill said:

The check will clear, in short order. Weeks later it is revealed to be a VERY good forgery, and you are out the money, and the item.

You are wrong. Sorry. If you do not believe me, pick up the phone, and see what your local police fraud unit has to say.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you're tired of reading..

the movie "Catch me if you can" is kind of the how of the way the the scam works, except instead of fake pan-am checks, it is a fake cashier's check.

That and you are in the middle of losing money instead of a bank/company...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.