Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I bought a barely used Fox Vanilla R on my Yeti 575. The for seems to perform well, but it sounds terrible when it rebounds, and the ground isn't there to slow it down.

That sounds confusing....

If I just test the fork while standing next to the bike, it seems fine. But if after I compress the fork, I pick it up off the ground, the noise is there.

According to the seller, the fork has very few rides on it.

Also, I think I need to go to a lower rate spring (down to purple) as I'm not using even close to all of the travel, and my sag is less than 1/2", at the lowest rebound settting. I don't know why this would make a diffenence....

·
carpe mañana
7,313 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
Hi.

I bought a barely used Fox Vanilla R on my Yeti 575. The for seems to perform well, but it sounds terrible when it rebounds, and the ground isn't there to slow it down.

That sounds confusing....

If I just test the fork while standing next to the bike, it seems fine. But if after I compress the fork, I pick it up off the ground, the noise is there.

According to the seller, the fork has very few rides on it.

Also, I think I need to go to a lower rate spring (down to purple) as I'm not using even close to all of the travel, and my sag is less than 1/2", at the lowest rebound settting. I don't know why this would make a diffenence....
The sound is probably just oil going through the rebound circuit. If you've got a heavy spring in there, you're probably running a lot of rebound damping, so there is a lot of force there sucking in the oil through the circuit. Doesn't sound abnormal if that's what it is. Try reducing the rebound damping (turn the red knob counter clockwise) and see if the noise lessens.

_MK

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'm confused. I am running a heavier spring than I think I should (I havn't yet checked, but I have the blue dial all the way clockwise, and I still never bottom out, no matter how hard I try, and I only have about 1/2" sag.

If I speed up the rebound, it helps the sound, but feels to fast. If I have have it set comforably, (which is seems to be toward the slower end of the dial) it makes the sound.

I'm having a hard time getting my suspenison dialed in, and this is just part of it.

More advice appreciated.

·
carpe mañana
7,313 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
Maybe I'm confused. I am running a heavier spring than I think I should (I havn't yet checked, but I have the blue dial all the way clockwise, and I still never bottom out, no matter how hard I try, and I only have about 1/2" sag.

If I speed up the rebound, it helps the sound, but feels to fast. If I have have it set comforably, (which is seems to be toward the slower end of the dial) it makes the sound.

I'm having a hard time getting my suspenison dialed in, and this is just part of it.

More advice appreciated.
What are you confused about? The dialing in of the suspension?

_MK

·
Registered
386 Posts
yeah ive got a pair of vanilla R and a pair of the RL and they both do that as long as its not a clunk your fine unless alot of oil is comin out on the stanchion tubes when you compress it get the right springs and youll be nice and comfy

·
Code Burr
1,381 Posts
My 05 Vanilla R fork has gotten progressively noiser from the left leg too. I think the spring might also be a bit heavy for me. Mine just sounds like spring rattle though, no clunk, just an annoying rattle. You think it might be the shrink wrap on the spring ? I read somewhere the oil deteriorates it and it needs replacing after awhile. I wonder if a road tube would work or would it limit the motion? I think they have similar shrink wrap at Radio Shack I could try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.