Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one have any problems with their sponsership program?? i know sum one on this forum is sponsered or was talking about geting sponsered by them.. im curiouse cuz it seems to be a good deal..

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
one person on this forum? Hm....just about every other poster on here is. Although according to snowskilz everybody they've sponsored so far is under 18. Im in the level 2 thing which doesnt mean much since you basically just put your name and get it, but hopefully they are a bit more selective for level 1 and hopefully I'm in it. lhahaha

·
Registered
752 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
one person on this forum? Hm....just about every other poster on here is. Although according to snowskilz everybody they've sponsored so far is under 18. Im in the level 2 thing which doesnt mean much since you basically just put your name and get it, but hopefully they are a bit more selective for level 1 and hopefully I'm in it. lhahaha
Snowskilz is wrong.... I am waiting for a mountaincross frame....

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well

im pretty close to 18. 19 actaualy. What is the differince between level one and level two...i went to the web site but it doesn't explain much about level 1... you get every thing free???????? bu ti can be just an idividual who wants to get sponsered..or would it be better if i got a group of people together. n created a team.... i do have one person intrested. shes #5 in alberta right now for bmx racing the problem being it doesn't look like soul has a bmx race bike.... i know i hafta get my act together though n actualy maybe start to hop on a road bike on rollers over the winter so i can work on speed n then next year hopfuly start up some racing.

·
bored
168 Posts
No problems, they're awesome to work with, and they communicate better than any bike company I've ever seen (they often answer e-mails the same day). Level 2=discounts on SC products, discounts on other products. Level 1=free SC products, discounts on other products. For level 1, you have to be doing well in racing. Your friend in BMX might think about racing mountaincross, as they could definitely help her in that case, and, given her bmx success, she would probably be level 1. It also might be worth asking if they are planning to make a BMX frame, although I don't think they are in the near future.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what.

thats what i thought. though it would be cool if they were planing to make a bmx bike to . after all they are rider with needs just like us. that why i wana start racig next year . maybe post some good results and see if i can get level one. i raced xc before. local races only though. n places good but that was a few years back. now ive become lazy n i realise i miss speed so im planing to hit up some provincial level DH races mybe a few xc 24 hrs. and depending if my freakish freands can convine me ill break down n get a cheep as road bike n do a race lol... Here we basicly ride every thing just cuz Free ride is a little limited. every time we try to build new stuff the city or some oil company comes along an tears it down. though free ride paradise and flow show haven't been touched by them yet. i should actualy get some pictures... though alot of the drop r massive n scare the crap outa me. we have what we call a 15 fter though no one has got out the pink bike messuring tape to find out. i realy wana hit it up but i can hardly get my self to go off anything above 6ft. i think the bigest ive done by acedent was sumtin like 12. never listen to your friends when they say oh its only a little drop around the corner lol. but then again it does help when you think its smaller than it actualy is. but now im gona get my fat lazy butt outa here n go check out the bikes n then ride all day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im gettin some people together for the sponsorship thing. It sounds like a good deal. U get wholesale costs on parts and $100 dollars off the frames they have now.

·
Team Captain
1,322 Posts
Yeah, that was a nice one fsdjer...

Anyways, I too have jumped on the Soul Cycles band wagon for two reasons. The first, half the people I worked with to build frames (FTY Ind.) have moved on to other cities and exotic new places. The second, they've got some really nice stuff coming out for 2005. I'm sure you've all seen the opening page on www.ridesoul.com which has a listing of the new products that are going to be coming out for 05. I recently got a chance to chat with Chad at Soul Cycles and he showed me some production drawings of what the new Titan, 4X frame and Trials frame are going to be like. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say, but those of you out there who are thinking about getting a new frame, hunker down and wait for these beauties. You will NOT be disappointed... Expect a new website to be coming out soon too....

·
Registered
524 Posts
Its a cool idea, but I kinda feel like a sellout. But its not really a "sponsorship", just like.....a discount. I wish they would come out with a DH frame, then I would go for the level1 sponsorship. The Level2 is a good idea to get their frames out there, but it seems like they are kind of selling out....especially for a company thats just starting out. I still have to contact them about discounts without buying a frame from them.....

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I dont think you get discounts without buying a frame from them cuz well....that defies the purpose of even having the level 2 sponsorship from them. I know occasionally they'll have some extra inventory that you can get for cheap without having to buy a frame but for everything else you have to atleast have purchased a frame already.

·
Registered
524 Posts
From what he said, I could, but it wouldnt be as much as a discount. Thats why I need to contact him again....

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
DJrider04 said:
Its a cool idea, but I kinda feel like a sellout. But its not really a "sponsorship", just like.....a discount. I wish they would come out with a DH frame, then I would go for the level1 sponsorship. The Level2 is a good idea to get their frames out there, but it seems like they are kind of selling out....especially for a company thats just starting out. I still have to contact them about discounts without buying a frame from them.....
What about it is "selling out?"

You're right its not a traditional sponsorship in that you have to be especially good to be sponsored, but it isn't just a discount...

Its a discount with the understanding that we will provide them with several crucial things -

Feedback on the bikes that exist

Market research on what types of bikes customers want to see

Eyesight advertising, a presence on the trails/streets. Essentially, kids on their bikes being seen by other kids.

They get direct feedback from a group of people that they know love riding bikes.
I don't know if you read over, but the 'sponsorship' also allows you access to custom builds, one-offs, etc...

So in exchange for that feedback and being brand-whore corporate lapdog ****s (jk), they give the riders stupid cheap prices & a level of contact with the designers that's only rivaled by small custom shops. Everyone wins, I don't really believe that bike design is going to suffer by having input from the average quality riders.. Plus its not like they don't have a program to sponsor competitive riders too.

If a relationship of mutual respect between riders and designers makes you feel like a sell-out, or if by not being aloof soul cycles have shot their "cred" with you so be it. IMHO there are lots of things (most all things actually) worth more than concepts like cred and image.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know, I understand all of that. Its just the fact that theres 100's of people sponsored by them. But the fact that I see is that, "O hey! We'll give you good discounts on everything if you go out and buy our bikes".....in my mind thats selling out. They are using their discounts that they get with other companies to sell their bikes. It shouldnt be about that. It should be that they make good frames, and they are desired for more than just "a good deal". Id rather spend the extra cash on a frame with some integrity, and a story behind it....like a Yeti, or a Sinister......

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I'm waiting to see the '05 product line then thinking I may ask about getting a steel titan made.

Regardless, I can see what you're saying about "integrity" and in this case the proof will be in the build. If these turn out to be sick bikes (they look better than alright in my book) then they won't be selling out or doing anything for greed because in my mind the agenda of hooking people up with good bikes for a good price is a great one.. If they're selling shitty bikes, they won't get anywhere anyways.

Selling out by selling (what look to be) well made frames with a good warranty for $200 even if you're NOT sponsored? I mean there's not much in that price range save for a couple of azonics... To me it seems like sponsorship thing is more of a gimmick than anything else, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to discontinue it soon. The profit margins have got to be razor thin when selling a bike to a "sponsored" rider. its hard to see it as selling out when they're intentionally taking a cut in profits in order to get people riding their bikes. I see it more as if they'd like to be a company that's got their finger on the pulse of what's going on with the average rider.

I'll bottom line it. If they hook me up with a sweet frame and build kit for a great price and I provide them some market research and word-of-mouth advertising to earn that sweet price? I can't think of a better situation, for me as a rider or for them as a fledgling company.

If the bikes are sheisty.... Then it'll feel like they conned a bunch of kids into buying sheisty bikes by offering them "sponsorships" and to tell their friends to come get "sponsored"

As I said, the proof will be in the build.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.