Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am looking at buying a 29er SS frame with Christmas money and am torn on these two bikes. What is your opinion of them? I am currently leaning more towards the new G3 Dillingers. I noticed that SC is selling them at a discount through the first week of Jan...

I currently ride a 09 Cobia frame with a G2 offset Fox F29. I am riding this bike SS with a YES ETR-B tensioner. I am having no problems with it, I would just like a clean SS bike and then build this frame back up geared as an option.

Overall, I am an enthusiast rider who does some light competitive racing.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
I thought about both of those frames and wound up getting a Vassago. The main difference between the Dillinger and the Dissent is that the Dillinger has an EBB while the Dissent has sliders. The Dillinger is also designed for a 4" fork, I think. If you're planning on using your Fox the Dissent may be a better option...a 3" (I'm assuming) G2 fork on the Dillinger might be a bit twitchy.

I picked my Jabberwocky over those two because it's a bit slacker than either and has bonehead-simple track drops instead of sliders or an EBB. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one, though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on using the F29 at least for now... I was going to ask how each of these frames would ride with a G2 offset fork...

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I've ridden both quite a bit. Here's my take........

Misfit: Sliders for tensioning are no problem at all, but if you are a cog changer, you may want to know that the set up as is doesn't accomodate cog changing without use of a half link or slightly modding the frame. Otherwise the Misfit is a great riding rig with moderate tire clearance that will not let you down. It handles very well with suspension forks or rigid. By the way, the Misfit fork is killer! Finally, you must like either black or a raw finish.

Dillinger: Eccentric bottom bracket- Well, you will find haters and praisers, but the Dillingers I have ridden have never given me an issue with creaking or slipping. Take that for what it is worth. My opinion is that it works just fine. Beyond this, the Dillinger's geometry is optimised for a 100mm travel fork, (Dillinger fork is heavy but nice riding ) and it has some stout construction yeilding a stiff ride. Not jarringly stiff, but it is stiff. Efficient for racing for sure. Better tire clearance here by a smidge, so if you are into fat tires on the back, the Dillinger is better here. Handling is great as with the Misfit. Finally, the finish options for the Dillinger are outstanding looking in person. I have seen a few and the look is great.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Loggahead said:
I was planning on using the F29 at least for now... I was going to ask how each of these frames would ride with a G2 offset fork...
I haven't tried a G2 fork on either of these. They both would probably become a bit quicker handling, but I don't think either one would be that negatively affected by a longer offset. As long as it is a 80mm travel fork anyway.

Edit: I should also add that a G2 fork on either of these frames is sub-optimal, so it really isn't the best choice for most folks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Never rode a Dillenger so I can't comment.

I do love my Misfit and my current fork is a 100mm F29 G2 that I bought on a close out. They play very nicely together. It handles way more better than my 2008 Reba 100 that had 38 degrees of rake.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
I was considering both bikes also. I ended up going with the Dillinger. I love the geometry. The Dissent was a little more racer than I wanted. I am running a 110 mm WB fork and the handling is sharp, but stable. You really can't go wrong I don't think, but I did p/u the SC for $300 (blem, overspray)

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
I'm riding a Gen 3 Dillinger with a 46 mm offset fox. Absolutely love it. The Geo is dialed in with this fork.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I went with a Misfit and can say it fit like a glove, i run a half link with 18-21 cog with no big deal. The new MKIII should rid of the use of a half link. If you are looking for a med or large you will have to wait unil Feb - March. If you are looking at small-x-large then your in luck cause you get $100 off IIRC... Either way you can't go wrong with both these bikes unless you don't like EBB or Sliders...For the record I run my with misfit fork and non-g2 100mm fox and wifes with a g-2 100mm fox fork.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow... Thanks for all of the info guys! Im still betwixt...

Im glad to see that a couple of you are running a G2 fork with the Misfit and that they gel together! I definitely don't have the money to buy a second fork that will likely cost more than the frame... ;) I will likely go ahead and purchase the rigid fork with the frame just to be safe...

GT, thanks so much for all the input. I follow your site on a regular basis and was going to try and contact you through twentynineinches, but now that you respond here I don't have to! I read both reviews of these bike from your site before posting. The chainslap issue with the Misfit seems to be the only common gripe. You mentioned that changing gears can be an issue? I currently ride 32x18 exclusively but have been considering running 32x16 to build my legs up some more. Can you not use slider tensioners with the Misfit?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Loggahead said:
Wow... Thanks for all of the info guys! Im still betwixt...

Im glad to see that a couple of you are running a G2 fork with the Misfit and that they gel together! I definitely don't have the money to buy a second fork that will likely cost more than the frame... ;) I will likely go ahead and purchase the rigid fork with the frame just to be safe...

GT, thanks so much for all the input. I follow your site on a regular basis and was going to try and contact you through twentynineinches, but now that you respond here I don't have to! I read both reviews of these bike from your site before posting. The chainslap issue with the Misfit seems to be the only common gripe. You mentioned that changing gears can be an issue? I currently ride 32x18 exclusively but have been considering running 32x16 to build my legs up some more. Can you not use slider tensioners with the Misfit?
Well, you can use the sliders, and they work excellently, but the current issue Misfit doesn't allow enough slider travel to make a two tooth change without a half link or a bit of cautious drmeling. No big deal, but a nuisance none the less.

As has been stated, the newer Misfit will address this nit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For what it's worth, I have been dead set on getting a Dissent for the past month. I've spent a ton of time researching both frames and ended up ordering the Dillinger today. The G3's look great and are well priced for sure with the promo they are running. Either way I think you're getting a great frame, but waiting for a Misfit is really what kept me from getting it. I am impatient.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My local riding mates are trying to talk me into this... Its double the price for the frame, but phew... she sho is SEXY !!! And light too...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here is my Dillinger that has come and gone. I wish I had kept it, but my Jet will be here in a couple of months. Never road a Misfit so I can't comment on it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Dillinger -- luvin' every minute of it!

I too was considering getting either diSSent and a Dillinger and wound up with the Dillinger. Chad hooked me up with a sweet deal, and the color, I just couldn't resist. Been loving every minute of it. The Ergons rock and I can't wait to race it. Loving the SC fork but thinking I am going to try a CF before going to squish.

Attachments

·
WNC Native
3,910 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Here's some shots for reference. Gen III Dillinger and a Misfit diSSent with both bikes fitted with their matching forks.
GT- that Blue Gen III Dillinger looks sweet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts