Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some searching and noticed that these two frames are highly regarded for new builds, but was wondering what you guys would recommend and why?

I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam and currently ride a 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I had a Redline Monocog Flight 29er and loved that thing, but had to sell it a little while ago. Now I am looking at building up a 1x9 29er and am at a wits end trying to figure out which frame to start with.

If this helps, I live in Southern California and would like a lightweight build but not blow the bank trying to build a WW machine. In addition, anyone have any opinions on the EBB on the Dillinger. I have been reading mixed reviews (ie. squeaking, creaking, making other noises, and most of all slipping) and was concerned with the longevity of the EBB on the Dillinger.

In addition, I think I would be a 16" for the Dillinger and a small for the EMD, but if you guys have other suggestions regarding sizing, please enlighten me!

Thank you in advance for the help.

·
Weird Eh
159 Posts
I`m 5'10" with a 32 " inseam ( not the only things to consider on bike fit) and ride an EMD med.Small should work for you I figure. I`m very happy with it. Very light and climbs great. Get a good set of wheels imo. May I recommend Stans ZTR Arch with some Hope Pro Hubs. They`ll cost more than the frame but well worth it

·
Registered
386 Posts
I built up an EMD 1x9 (my first 29r) 8-9mos ago and it's been an awesome bike for fast short rides and longer all day riding.

In your case, I would try to decide now whether you think you'll ever run it SS - if yes, get the Dillinger. Otherwise I would get the EMD.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great advice so far guys. Right now I am leaning more towards an EMD but dang the Dillinger is on promo for like $359 for the Scotch Brite finish w/ clear.

But then again, the Dillinger is about 1 lb heavier.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
I own a Dillinger and was interested in the EMD. Just so you know, the Dillinger is not made here (unless you live in Taiwan). I like the stiffness of the frame and being able to run it as a geared frame is nice. The handling is to my liking, although I think the EMD would be good too. If I was only running geared, with no real intention of going SS, I would get the EMD.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
What fork do you plan on using? The EMD is designed around 80mm (some run 100mm though, heck even seen one with 120mm). The Dillinger is designed around 100mm. So if you plan on using a 100-110mm fork the Dillinger would be a better choice. The Dillinger is more for your money, but the Niner would probably have better resale.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I built my first 29er. I ended up getting the Dillinger and set it up as a 1x9.. Chad with Soul Cycles was great to work with. I was also able to buy many of the components from Soul Cycles. I haven't had an issue with the EBB. They bike is great. I built mine up for about 1600 dollars.

·
Registered
386 Posts
AL29er said:
What fork do you plan on using? The EMD is designed around 80mm (some run 100mm though, heck even seen one with 120mm). The Dillinger is designed around 100mm. So if you plan on using a 100-110mm fork the Dillinger would be a better choice. The Dillinger is more for your money, but the Niner would probably have better resale.
All the guys at Niner run their HTs with 100mm forks (per one of the guys there who I spoke with on the phone). I have no idea how much that materially changes the stated geo numbers..I'm sure a little.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yeah, my statement may strike a nerve with some. However a bike designed around a 100mm fork will ride better than a bike designed around 80mm with a 100mm on it. Those nit picky details in frame design start to come out. Stuff like rake, trail, and BB drop all get messed with when you start using a longer fork. How much you can get away with is personal preference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great info so far. I was going to run a RS Reba or Exotic carbon rigid fork from ebay. I prefer to run gears as my knees ache when grinding up the hills.

I am just mostly concerned with the EBB as there are mixed reviews using this system (slipping and creaking), it seems as though the Dillinger is most bang for the buck.

Don't really care about resale value. I am gonna ride it till it breaks or until I decide to build a new bike.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
The Dillinger EBB is a pretty good set up as far as our experiences at Twenty Nine Inches goes. We tested one here about a year and a half or so ago and it went between three riders without a squeak or slip.

We ran it in single speed mode for the entire test.

So as for the EBB on a Dillinger, I wouldn't worry much, especially since you are going to run gears and it will be a set it and forget it piece. Chad sends torque specs with the new ones, so if you follow the directions it shouldn't give you any issues.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a small EMD with a carbon fork. Coming from a Dos Niner (med). The EMD fits me way better more fun of a ride. Quick but stable climbs well didn't break the bank on the build either. Oh I'm 5'9 w/ 31" inseam. I've always like bigger bikes but I like the EMD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.