Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered a crack in the seat stay the other day and wrote to Canyon (Germany is where I bought the bike). No help was offered at all and I got a weird reply saying:
I'm sorry to inform you that we no longer have any seat stays in stock for your Strive, so we can't send you any.
If you want to look on the open market, the platform of your bike is the M27-16
No further help was offered. No explanation as to how their 6 years frame guarantee works. Won't even know how to search or reach what they called "open market". I searched for "M27-16" and all I could get are automobile wheels. I don't mind paying for one that is leftover from a broken frame if you have one (I have seen many online recently).
I'm now taking it into my hand fixing the crack but I was hoping to sell the bike and already received excellent offers before discovering the crack.

Appreciate any help.

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Bicycle part Font

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I get that some things might be lost in translation, but the most obvious answer here is:

They don't have any, and don't know when they'll get more. You know, the whole messed up supply lines thing.

Did you respond to the message for clarification?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO, this has a 6 year frame guarantee that guarantees what? I assume it comes with an unconditional 6 frame warranty.

How many years have you owned it?
Got the bike in December 2017 so owned the bike for almost 4 years. I’m just pissed off the way they replied which is not helpful at all. This is their own warranty/guarantee information: Warranty and Guarantee

I did reply to them asking how their “guarantee” work in this case and if they can help at least telling me where to look for a replacement on “the open market” whatever this is, since this is what they suggested.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
I was close to the end of my Pivot warranty, but not outside it, when I noticed the main-pivot crack that became a known issue for my model/year. They stepped up and I got a new frame. Companies that have BS/worthless warranties should be called out.

Although there are some things you can do, prepare a legal-type letter and demand a response, everyone should be wary with an overseas company that you can't get into small-claims court. In other words, the overseas company needs to have a pretty darn good reputation. There are absolutely these companies, ones that aren't going away any time soon and that make fantastic stuff, but there are ones that are not.

Reactions: Vespasianus

·
Registered
59 Posts
I read their 'Limited Warranty' and it states that it only covers manufacturing defects at the time of delivery for up to 6 years. It says nothing about collision damage. The warranty isn't much of a warranty since most manufacturing 'defects' would be apparent at delivery or soon after. A bike owned for 4 years may have received stresses and damage from riding/jumping/crashing but it would be hard to show the damage was a manufacturing defect 4 years after the fact. I think the warranty sounds good initially (6 years!!) but in reality most manufacturing defects show up much sooner so the buyer with a problem 4-5 years later has a harder time convincing the manufacturer their product was defective. I feel bad for OP but I'm not sure Canyon is the bad guy although having a 6 year warranty should require them to maintain a parts inventory for all bikes still under warranty coverage.

·
Magically Delicious
14,180 Posts
I read the Canyons website and it's a bit odd.

They have a 2 year warranty and a 6 year guarantee. WHAT?

It says: When you buy from Canyon, your bike is covered by an extended manufacturer guarantee in addition to the legally required warranty. It’s important to us that your bike is always in good condition, and that you remain completely satisfied with it. However, if issues should arise, in addition to the legal warranty you have, we also offer a 6-year guarantee on our frames, Canyon-engineered components, and forks...

This appears as a bit nebulous. Maybe a little confusing.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I read the Canyons website and it's a bit odd.

They have a 2 year warranty and a 6 year guarantee. WHAT?

It says: When you buy from Canyon, your bike is covered by an extended manufacturer guarantee in addition to the legally required warranty. It’s important to us that your bike is always in good condition, and that you remain completely satisfied with it. However, if issues should arise, in addition to the legal warranty you have, we also offer a 6-year guarantee on our frames, Canyon-engineered components, and forks...

This appears as a bit nebulous. Maybe a little confusing.
Just a guess, but the EU may have a mandatory minimum 2 warranty for certain products. With that said, it sounds like Canyon extended the minimum to 6 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I read their 'Limited Warranty' and it states that it only covers manufacturing defects at the time of delivery for up to 6 years. It says nothing about collision damage. The warranty isn't much of a warranty since most manufacturing 'defects' would be apparent at delivery or soon after. A bike owned for 4 years may have received stresses and damage from riding/jumping/crashing but it would be hard to show the damage was a manufacturing defect 4 years after the fact. I think the warranty sounds good initially (6 years!!) but in reality most manufacturing defects show up much sooner so the buyer with a problem 4-5 years later has a harder time convincing the manufacturer their product was defective. I feel bad for OP but I'm not sure Canyon is the bad guy although having a 6 year warranty should require them to maintain a parts inventory for all bikes still under warranty coverage.
I had the same thought about covering manufacturing defects at the time of delivery. But are we expected to be material scientists to discover manufacturing defects buried under layers of paint? If the bike has been used for 4 years, yes it will receive a lot of stress from being ridden. I guess it should be designed for this. I'm not sure if we should consider carbon fiber, as frame material, less durable than aluminum, titanium, or steel. When I bought the bike I didn't expect that it will fail after 4 years. I could have an expectation to give it to my son or even grandfather like the one I received from my uncle who gave it to me after riding it for several years.

After all, I'm willing to pay for it, I just feel helpless since no help was not offered. What I'm supposed to do with the frame now? Are we all expected to get ready to replace our carbon frame bikes after 4 years? I could have saved for months to secure funds for this one and I'm in no position now to do it over again. The agent could have at least made it easier for me if she told me which other bike manufactures are using the same platform. I could then go shopping and save the bike.

·
All fat, all the time.
11,120 Posts
I had a crack in a Trek frame (lifetime warranty). They gave me a 6 year newer frame, no hassles, I think it took a week or so to deliver to the shop, was impressed.

If this wasn't specifically damage because of a crash, you need to press them to give you a replacement frame.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did you discover the crack? Have you begun to fix the chainstay or did it always look like that?
I saw a hairline crack on the paint. At first, I thought it was a broken transparent sticker I put in earlier. Removed the sticker and the hairline is still there. Then sanded it down to see the crack very clear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a crack in a Trek frame (lifetime warranty). They gave me a 6 year newer frame, no hassles, I think it took a week or so to deliver to the shop, was impressed.

If this wasn't specifically damage because of a crash, you need to press them to give you a replacement frame.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I'm no jumper but I ride in rocky trails where debris is usually flying around. I fall off like everyone else but have not crashed. I don't really know what to do. I replied saying what are my options. But some members here make me feel that having a bike for 4 years is enough and I should be thankful for the good time and memories we had together. :D

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
But some members here make me feel that having a bike for 4 years is enough and I should be thankful for the good time and memories we had together. :D
It's Canyon's warranty, and they should honor it. Companies hold consumers' feet to the fire on contractual issues all the time. You can do the same. I would be nice but firm about it.

Edit: It sounds like Canyon is holding its breath and hoping you go away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Might be worthwhile checking with carbon repair shops for a price if you want to continue riding that frame. Probably should give the rest of the frame a good once over to ensure you don't have any other issues before spending money on it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
This is also real strange, as the bike in the picture has been sanded down. At the very least, I would expect to see detailed pictures of the flaw before sanding, but sanding and going to those lengths would probably invalidate any warranty. Sanding down like that is great when you are going to repair your own CF bike, but that usually invalidates a warranty claim, as they can't inspect the damage, etc. Impacts often leave tell-tale marks, vs. debonding. I've had two situations where stuff was de-bonding, CF strands were bursting and it was obvious the damage was not an impact-type failure.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.