Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seem to be pretty much unanimous Thomson whores around here, so I figured this was not too far afield. I have heard rumors for ever that Thomson was coming out with an OS stem. I just noticed this on the Thomson site:

Thomson said:
31.8 Stem for Road and Mountain
The new X4 is shipping. X4 is intended for Mountain Bike use but can be used for Road. X4 is 30 grams lighter that the Elite 25.4 Stem. X2 for Road should be ready to ship by January 2005. Both stems are for the new 31.8 handlebar diameter and will be the lightest, strongest 31.8 stems available. Stay tuned!
They also mention showing the X4 at Eurobike in early Sept.

Sorry if this is old news, but I'm giddy.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Acadian said:
ah I didn't know since I don't ride road...but I was talking about 25.4mm for MTB bars.
I was just wondering what the significance of 31.8 mm diameter bar is, and why Thomson would only offer a MTB stem accordingly. But I guess I've answered my question with a little Googling and Race Face's website. I guess 31.8 was the industry's answer to a stronger bar, along with the 1.5 steer tube. Interesting... any word on available lengths on the X4?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
31.8 is a new system for both road and mountain. It is OS (oversized). It offers a stiffer interface, and can be lighter for the same strength at that critical spot. And that stem just looks do damn sexy.

Personally I have not issues whatsoever with the 4 Thomson stems I own where the pinch clamp is concerned. I kinda like it, but that one looks nice too.

I think they will offer all manner of lengths. Right now Titec already makes a pretty cool 31.8, and bars to match.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Makes inventory a lot easier for shops....

...vs the 25.4 and 26.0 that they need now. I think this is one area in which standardization is great, I've bought stems from the LBS only to realize when I get home that a road stem found it's way into the mountain bin. No more hassle.

CrashTheDOG said:
I was just wondering what the significance of 31.8 mm diameter bar is, and why Thomson would only offer a MTB stem accordingly. But I guess I've answered my question with a little Googling and Race Face's website. I guess 31.8 was the industry's answer to a stronger bar, along with the 1.5 steer tube. Interesting... any word on available lengths on the X4?

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
tscheezy said:
Personally I have not issues whatsoever with the 4 Thomson stems I own where the pinch clamp is concerned. I kinda like it, but that one looks nice too.
I didn't have any issues with my first one, although the bolts would bind, but my current one has come loose several times so I tightened it good and then one of the bolts would not come loose so I had to drill out the head and replace it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
available sizes

The stems are just becoming available. If any of you are industry folks, a certain distributor in the midwest (QBP) just got them instock today. They will be available in two angles and lengths starting at I think 70mm going to 130 or 140.

I brought a 90 degree by 110mm home today with the new syncros 31.8 carbon bar. Meow! This thing is beautiful.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
titusrider said:
The stems are just becoming available. If any of you are industry folks, a certain distributor in the midwest (QBP) just got them instock today. They will be available in two angles and lengths starting at I think 70mm going to 130 or 140.

I brought a 90 degree by 110mm home today with the new syncros 31.8 carbon bar. Meow! This thing is beautiful.
Oh great a new standard:rolleyes: ... Does this mean I have to get new grips too:D. I suppose the new bars will be cool if they are stronger or lighter. Neither was an issue for me though. I do get the slightest creak that I think is coming from my current Thomson stem. A standard clamp would be cool.

Something for UGI I guess...

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Specialized bikes

Somebody in the Specialized forum noted that the 2005 bikes [SJFSRs] look like they're specced with the new Thomson stem. I've posted the Stumpy FSR Expert 120 with the silver stem so it's more visible...

Does this mean Specialized has gone to speccing 31.8 bars? Or that's not a Thomson X4?

tscheezy said:
We seem to be pretty much unanimous Thomson whores around here, so I figured this was not too far afield. I have heard rumors for ever that Thomson was coming out with an OS stem. I just noticed this on the Thomson site:

They also mention showing the X4 at Eurobike in early Sept.

Sorry if this is old news, but I'm giddy.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I've seen it.
Green Giant has one on his Ventana and he spent a few days riding CO with me & Larry back in July. It's sweet.
He posted pictures on the Ventana board in early July.

It's not available, yet, but he managed to get his hands on it directly from LH Thomson.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Available Now!!!!

I don't think you guys read my post just above.

They are available now, at least the black ones! I work in the industry and bought one from QBP yesterday. Any bike shop in the US can order one now.

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
titusrider said:
I don't think you guys read my post just above.

They are available now, at least the black ones! I work in the industry and bought one from QBP yesterday. Any bike shop in the US can order one now.
I just ordered a black 0dx70mm yesterday as well, through my shop from QBP (Quality). The 90mm was also in stock at the time. It should be in tomorrow! Looks nice.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Thanks for the update.

My one complaint....the bolts are not nearly as recessed as they are on the standard Thomson stem. I don't know whether that will predispose to more knee banging or not, but the recessed bolts are one of my favorite Thomson features.

And I have to agree with Bikezilla....I've never broken or overflexed a standard bar so the extra diameter doesn't mean much. I'd like to see Thomson make that cut-out design for standard stems for the weight savings.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.