Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I should post this in RBR, but I'm interested in getting a bike for my non-riding wife for riding on MUTs and gravel rails-to-trails paths. No singletrack or technical riding. She has a Giant hybrid that she won't ride 'cause even she can tell it's a total pig and a POS to boot, so ugly, clunky hybrids are out of the question.

I've seen several "hybrids/commuters" that are basically road bikes with flat bars that just might be what she'd want - any suggestions for <$1000.00, preferably <$800.00?

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Fuji

I think Fuji makes a line of those flat-bar roadie bikes. And I think they are in the $400-$700 range. At least that's how much they are in my LBS.

D.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Drewdane said:
Maybe I should post this in RBR, but I'm interested in getting a bike for my non-riding wife for riding on MUTs and gravel rails-to-trails paths. No singletrack or technical riding. She has a Giant hybrid that she won't ride 'cause even she can tell it's a total pig and a POS to boot, so ugly, clunky hybrids are out of the question.

I've seen several "hybrids/commuters" that are basically road bikes with flat bars that just might be what she'd want - any suggestions for <$1000.00, preferably <$800.00?

Thanks!
I've tried to set my wife up on one of those flat bar road bikes. If your wife is somewhat uncomfortable on a road bike, this may not be a great idea. They seem to have that twitchy roadbike feel and aren't very "comfortable" for the beginning rider. I think they're aimed at folks who want performance, but don't want drop bars.

I have seen some bikes that seem to split the difference between the hybrid dork-bike (just kidding! :D ) and the flatbar roadbike. Trek makes one - the 3700? Rigid fork, 700cc wheels, cushy saddle and adjustable stem and somewhere in the neighborhood of $400.00-$500.00. I just got a flyer from El Performo last night that had a Schwinn that might fit the bill for around $400.00.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.