Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "rfx rocker" search yielded some pretty ambiguous threads. Might as well just ask and get flamed if need be. Was pondering last night if anyone has ever machined out the stocker 06 rfx rockers? I think they just look bland. That is all.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What? Never owned a Mongoose in my life, you got me confused with Vinny?

I like Turners. Come in here to check things out. Been eyeballing a DHR but it won't happen cause I don't have that kind of loot. Somehow I managed to just pick up a new Yeti DJ frame though.

You got Bennet's BB mount Gamut backplate in your possession? I am going to need it for the DJ build up. Got any 31.8 bars for sale? Gonna need one of them too.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Mr Tiles said:
My "rfx rocker" search yielded some pretty ambiguous threads. Might as well just ask and get flamed if need be. Was pondering last night if anyone has ever machined out the stocker 06 rfx rockers? I think they just look bland. That is all.
Have you thought about polishing them? I've seen threads with polished rockers and they look good. I don't know about machining holes in them though. They are much thinner than the newer generation ('07-'08) rockers.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mr Tiles said:
yeah, I mistook you for vinny - bwahaha

you are a closet bike whore

no bars and bendit has your gamut guide.

This thread is out of control ;-)
I am lot taller and don't break everything I ride.

Only reason I am not a bike whore is cause I don't have the money.

I will e-mail him

PASA Style!!! Derail in three posts or less.

I got a nice Dremel you can borrow.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Have you thought about polishing them?
It's crossed my mind but the swing arm is polished so I thought for a bit it might be a little over the top. ball burnished might be sweet though.

Mtn. Biker123 said:
I don't know about machining holes in them though. They are much thinner than the newer generation ('07-'08) rockers.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I don't want to eff 'em up. I have access to a machine shop with a laser table and before I went nuts, I wanted to know any dangers of removing material. I'm purely speculating that rigidity of the rockers needs to be vertical more than lateral and removing material from the already machined surfaces won't cause a detriment. I'm not an engineer so I'm trying to cover all the bases before I cause some destruction.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Mr Tiles said:
It's crossed my mind but the swing arm is polished so I thought for a bit it might be a little over the top. ball burnished might be sweet though.

This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I don't want to eff 'em up. I have access to a machine shop with a laser table and before I went nuts, I wanted to know any dangers of removing material. I'm purely speculating that rigidity of the rockers needs to be vertical more than lateral and removing material from the already machined surfaces won't cause a detriment. I'm not an engineer so I'm trying to cover all the bases before I cause some destruction.
I remember a few people who dremeled a small indent in those rockers in order to mount the air shocks of that time. There were subsequently quite a few failures if I recall. They didn't remove even a fraction of the material that you plan to. Although, that was a pretty high stress area (just behind the shock mounting hole--non-drive side). My original '06 plates have the dremeled appendage, and I have not had any problems. It's a tough call, but I'd say no way.

You could get them plated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also thought about just having a set made. A custom design merely for bike snobish reasons, absolutely no performance advantage other than a slight reduction in weight. Fashion over function...

I take it PUSH never made a set of rfx plates?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,270 Posts
Like this?

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Have you thought about polishing them? I've seen threads with polished rockers and they look good. I don't know about machining holes in them though. They are much thinner than the newer generation ('07-'08) rockers.
I Endo Rando did some interesting polishing of his spot and rockers,
You may want to consider something similar:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.