Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mountain Dew enthusiest
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know from my last thread, I have some money at my disposal after christmas. I want to upgrade my 06 garbanzo coiler to make it more bombproof. I have sun single track sl-1 rims and a 06 fox van R shock. I have a few questions. If i buy new rims, I will probably buy a set of Mavic ex 729 rims. What should I specifically ask the wheelbuilder for as far as tension and stuff? Also, how much should I expect to pay for labor to get them built? Or should I upgrade the shock instead? If I upgrade the shock, I would like to have something like a propedal feature to make climbing a little better. What shock would you recommend and what weight coil should I get for it? (I weigh 215 pounds and I mostly ride XC/AM type trails but I launch jumps and drops and ride DH/FR whenever I possibly can)

·
Registered
456 Posts
you have never tried drugs? well that may be your problem....

j/k about the drugs, they are bad and end up closing allot of doors in your future, keep doing what your doin

about your post, 729 are great and you are going to keep your same hubs? you may spend 50 bones or so to get them built.

BUT the singletracks are also a heavy duty wheel, if kept in tension.
if your wheels are dented real bad or have some stress cracking
-I would go for the shock, DHX 5.0s are very affordable and have pro-pedal and all that good stuff

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
maybe look for a new-used shock. (alot of brand new shocks can be found for cheap since they were replaced instantly by the user for a upgrade.) dhx air would be sick on that bike I think. if you keep the singletracks tensioned, they work okay. 729s are a great upgrade if you think you really need them tho. as far as the build, the builder should know how to build them good for what your doing.

·
Mountain Dew enthusiest
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. As far as the shock, I'd like to have a coil shock but i will try to find a new-used one. Thats a good idea. Thats if I get a shock instead of rims. I haven't made up my mind yet. The reason I'm asking about how to get the wheels built is because I live in Des Moines, Iowa and not very many people ride the way I do and I'm worried the wheel builders around here mostly only know how to build road and XC wheels.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
keep what you have till it breaks.....save your cash......what shock do you have on bike now....u might just buy a used shock, but leave rims alone until you break or bend them bad

·
Mountain Dew enthusiest
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There really isn't too much heavy trail riding in Des Moines. There Is a somewhat not terrible DH run back by a lake behind Targhetto but i heard its illegal. There is some good singletrack by the old science center. There is also a DH run if done correctly there. I know its Des Moines so these DHs are really not that great. Its all good though. Maybe I will just get only the shock. I have an old Fox vanilla R from 2006. The only adjustment on it is rebound and it bottoms out easily even when the sag is set correctly. I build my own jumps and drops so that where I get my FR in.

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Where's the heavy trail riding in Des Moines? I used to bring my bike out there for vacations and never really found anything significant. Some people said to go behind the museum that was near DMU, but not too much to speak of there at the time.
There's your problem... Vacation in Des Moines?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.