Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to publicly apologize to Stan's NoTubes for my earlier post entitled "Stan's NoTubes Suck! and so does his Crows tires.." After cooling off for a week I gave the NoTubes install another go (plus my wife found the receipt and was pissed that I bought something I wasn't going to use).

I tried the NoTubes with some Panaracer Fire XC Pros and I successfully mounted both the front an rear tire as painlessly as Stan did in the video. I did my first ride on Sunday with the pressure at 32 in the front and back, the traction was unbelievable. I hit a few rocks and roots that I thought I was going to loose the tire but I survived unscathed. It feels like I almost have an extra inch of travel. Very sweet!

I still didn't get the Crow mounted. That bead is extremely tight. I think the trick to this system is finding the right tire/rim combination. Before you try this system take the time to research which combination people have had success with, otherwise you will be eating Crow like me (pun intended!).

Sorry again Stan... and thanks everyone for the suggestions.
 

·
Emu's Taste Like Chicken
Joined
·
157 Posts
Kuddos to you for the crow ingestion, congrats on the tire mounting. Been on the fence about them but if after the frustration you encountered and were still happy with the end results I believe the time has come (also tired of buying $5 tubes).
 

·
NoTubes.com
Joined
·
600 Posts
Thanks for posting the follow up CM. I never heard back from you but drop me an e-mail and I'll help with getting the Crows mounted if you still want to try them.
 

·
Believer in Darwin
Joined
·
274 Posts
Way to eat some crow CM.I knew once you calmed down it would work out. I have been in your shoes before. Hearing about the Stans, how it can save your tires, its SO easy. But then you get it and it isn't so easy to install, you might need to use an air compressor, microscopic pinholes in the tires, juice everywhere etc... then you end up bummed out.
You got the reflection and clarity you needed!! Now that you have done it once, it'll just get easier. Pretty soon you'll be doing it at the campsite, under latern, for a buddy who can't seem to Stans the tires.
I must thought I haven't had the best of luck with Stans sealing up XC Pros punctures. I have had better results with Kendas, and WTBs.
paz afuera
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Bro I do like your approach, your are taking it like a man

CrankyMonkey said:
I have to publicly apologize to Stan's NoTubes for my earlier post entitled "Stan's NoTubes Suck! and so does his Crows tires.." After cooling off for a week I gave the NoTubes install another go (plus my wife found the receipt and was pissed that I bought something I wasn't going to use).

I tried the NoTubes with some Panaracer Fire XC Pros and I successfully mounted both the front an rear tire as painlessly as Stan did in the video. I did my first ride on Sunday with the pressure at 32 in the front and back, the traction was unbelievable. I hit a few rocks and roots that I thought I was going to loose the tire but I survived unscathed. It feels like I almost have an extra inch of travel. Very sweet!

I still didn't get the Crow mounted. That bead is extremely tight. I think the trick to this system is finding the right tire/rim combination. Before you try this system take the time to research which combination people have had success with, otherwise you will be eating Crow like me (pun intended!).

Sorry again Stan... and thanks everyone for the suggestions.
thats the best way to do it. I been working retail for years, and many times is operator error on a lot of the I can't make this stupid thing work. A monkey can do it as long is a NASA monkey, you know the ones that went into space:D .But is great that you got it to work, because is really a good product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
nice work CM!

I was certainly close to your level of frustration during my first attempts. Once I talked myself through it and calmed down, it all worked out.

Some things that REALLY helped me out:

1. Set up new tires on an old rim with a tube to stretch out the bead overnight
2. The soap suds step is key, more bubbles than water, although my gf is getting suspicious at the rapidly dwindiling supply of dish soap.
3. My tire/rim combo seemed to work best with traditional rim strip underneath a layer of black electricians tape. Building up the height seemed to alllow the tire bead to seat more firmly.

anyway, glad it worked out for you.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top