Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first no viable road bike now my favorite Ala Carte is gone.

Did your designers only get to use the 700/29" wheel in school? I am bummed.

Now I here I can't just get one through QBP but have to be a dealer?

It looks like I will be moving on for my next bike. I hope my old brown Ala Carte serves me well for some time. I love my Podio but it is getting old and time for a new bike.
You guys were a great company once.

Rant over.

·
I <3 dirt
1,430 Posts
The QBP dealer thing sucks ass that's for sure.
I was looking at getting a chili con crosso to replace my old crosscheck but then I saw you have to be a salsa dealer. No way my boss would go for that; we don't have the market for it.

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
The QBP dealer thing sucks ass that's for sure.
I was looking at getting a chili con crosso to replace my old crosscheck but then I saw you have to be a salsa dealer. No way my boss would go for that; we don't have the market for it.
I would imagine there was pressure from the few Salsa dealers who were probably tired of bike shops taking all the inventory one or two frames at a time with no commitment to the brand.

With that said I do think it's a mistake, unless they put out the effort to create a MUCH larger network of dealers.

·
I <3 dirt
1,430 Posts
Do they make like 100 frames a year? Maybe they need to up production?

If you sell through a distributor like qbp and they're selling your product to bike shops then what's the big deal? They shouldn't be directly involved regardless if the shop is a salsa dealer or not.

Just sounds like poor business practice to me. Either get your own distribution, make more frames to supply the demand or stop stuffing out the small bike shops.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm feeling a bit the same way. Dissapointing that there isn't a 26" complete or frame only in the lineup. Also nearly half my riding is road and no true options here either. Even without the lineup concerns it would be very difficult for me to obtain a new Salasa given my location. Here's hoping my Ala Carte and Gunnar last and my desire for new bikes wanes; my forseeable future does not include a new Salsa. Disappointing to say the least....

Rich

·
Registered
859 Posts
On the road bike issue, Salsa has hinted (I think here on MTBR) that this is a temporary issue that will be resolved in the near term (I think 1-2 years might have been the timeline, but don't quote me on that).

On the distribution issue, I can't really comment. My LBS is a Salsa dealer, and I get great customer service both from the LBS and Salsa. I'm rocking a Ti Vaya, have a Muk II on order, and really wish I had held out for a Horsethief instead of picking up my Rumblefish last year. Maybe I'm drinking the Koolaid, but they're making the bikes that I want and checking all the boxes. After the Muk, the next dream bike on my list would be a Ti El Mariachi. I'm not a bike manufacturer, but I can see the benefits of working with a dedicated dealer network, where you know your products will be properly assembled and where you know your customers can receive warranty support and continuing service. The countervailing argument outlined above is persuasive too...if they could build and sell more bikes, that would seem like good business. Maybe they're after sustainability instead of uncontrolled growth? Maybe they want to occupy niche markets? Maybe something completely different. As I said, I'm lucky to have an awesome LBS that is a Salsa dealer. Or maybe I'm unlucky to have them feeding my addiction...

On the 26er/29er thing, I dunno. All of the posts after Interbike talked about how the whole world is going 29er. I don't think it's just Salsa. The purposes that they identify for their bikes are all rides that, IMO, lend themselves to the 29er format better than 26er. I don't think they're trying to capture the low-cost/high-volume cheap 26er territory that Trek/GT/Giant/others occupy, nor does it look like they're trying to capture the high-cost/low-volume/long-travel FS territory. Their race ambitions are clearly oriented towards 29er crowd...a movement which is gaining momentum around the country from my limited perspective. I kinda think the move towards 29ers is emblematic of Salsa not sticking with the status quo, but being fluid in their design philosophy.

I like the direction Salsa is taking, with different frames and layouts...instead of offering 47 different bikes that are minimally different (I'm looking at you, Surly). Salsa certainly doesn't have every niche covered...but every time they come out with a bike, I find myself looking at it and thinking--Damn, that really makes sense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
"...low cost high volume cheap 26er territory..." ????

Don't think they ever were in that market.

What I liked about Salsa was that they did make high quality products that were not commonly seen or available elsewhere. I just don't see how dropping 26" platforms and going wholly towards the 29er market is going against the current "status quo". There is still a need and I would wager adequate demand for high quality steel, titanium, and (gasp) aluminum 26 inch frames. Apparently Salsa disagrees. Guess I'll have to vote with my wallet. Still disappointing as I had much respect for Salsa's bikes.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Well, I understand the frustration if you are not a Salsa dealer. If the dealer network was being completely satisfied, and the production was keeping up, QBP would gladly sell more Salsa bikes. I mean, why would they say "no" to more money, ya know?

The thing is, Salsa Cycles is running at 110% and selling way more bikes than they imagined, and dealers are pre-selling through production runs before they even arrive on these shores in some cases with certain models.

Salsa has a limited budget and is doing all they can do with what they have, it's just that demand is outstripping supply in some cases.

I would add also that this very situation may have contributed to the demise of the Ala Carte and possibly some of the road stuff. If it wasn't selling well, and it was eating up resources that could be redirected to make more money, why not do that?

Just a theory. I don't know for sure that is the case, but it would make sense to me. 26"er hard tails are not being bought in the numbers they once were. Industry wide, the upper end 26" hard tail is a dead fish. That's a fact. Salsa is just one tiny reflection of what is happening all over in the mtb arena.

Salsa can't satisfy everyone. But obviously a lot of folks want their rigs. Hopefully the gap can be narrowed a bit in the future for them.

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
I do not ride a 26er hardtail regularly but do own a old school one and do enjoy it. I think with Surly introducing the Troll I think QBP as a whole saw this as satisfying that market. It's a shame as the Ala Carte I think is/was a nice frame.

It's sad as my LBS can no longer sell Salsa, I was fortunate enough to get my Cromoto Maxle just before he was officially dropped. What I see silly on this is since QBP owns all of these companies why wouldn't you just be a dealer throughout vs being a Surly or Salsa or Civia or All-City and I am sure many other companies within QBP umbrella.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Salsa introduced the latest ala cart in steel and ti last year. does anyone think they are dropping them because the sold really well? businesses operate on a pretty basic principles. if the customer is buying it, you keep making it.

I thought non-salsa dealers could order bikes after the dealers had first crack at the inventory. has this policy changed?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Salsa introduced the latest ala cart in steel and ti last year. does anyone think they are dropping them because the sold really well? businesses operate on a pretty basic principles. if the customer is buying it, you keep making it.

I thought non-salsa dealers could order bikes after the dealers had first crack at the inventory. has this policy changed?
No, it hasn't. There just hasn't been enough inventory to go beyond the Salsa Dealer network in many models cases.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.