Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Underskilled
4,750 Posts
Any tourer should be fine.
Road bikes don't do fun stuff, so as long as you dont get an ultra light sprint bike you will be fine.

Tourers tend to be stronger and more comfy.

I used to have one, but it is SO boring.
I then bought road tyres for my MTB, problem solved

·
Registered
112 Posts
I took my Redline d440 29er (steel frame) and put drop bars on it, canti-levers, bar-end shifters, 36h weinmann's, 700x38 tires, 3x9 gearing. Its very comfortable on the road but not very light weight.

If I wouldn't have built that bike I was going to buy either a Surly Long haul trucker or Salsa Casserola(sp?).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Riding road is a completely different animal, putting slicks on your MTB isn't going to cut it for distance. I tried that to train on, and ended up buying a road bike......and I am much much happier. What kind of distance are you talking??

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
Gaffed said:
I took my Redline d440 29er (steel frame) and put drop bars on it, canti-levers, bar-end shifters, 36h weinmann's, 700x38 tires, 3x9 gearing. Its very comfortable on the road but not very light weight.
Pictures please!!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
If you just own one bike, then putting slicks on a 29er is a decent compromise. But if your serious about doing some touring, get a dedicated touring bike. There are several excellent choices in the under $1300 range
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Trek 520
Novara Randonee
Raleigh Sojourn (disc brake tourer)

Plus some "sport" road bikes (not true touring, but could be used for supported tours)
Salsa Casserol
Raleigh Clubman

·
Registered
25 Posts
depends on what you're looking to do on your road bike - but check out Salsa fargo - they are about to come out with a new bike .. vaya

·
Lurker
152 Posts
Don't forget the Kona Honky Tonk. Also, Gunnar makes a few different frames that will work for touring / credit card touring.

They key for us bigger folks is tire size.... at 215# I run 700x25's. I'd never even consider 23's. If I was any bigger I'd get a different frame with room for 28's.

·
local jackass
931 Posts
i have a 2010 specialized allez xxl with a 130mm stem and it fits perfect

·
Registered
699 Posts
Cervelo Soloist (now the S1) is my current main road bike. It's ultra stiff, tough as nails, flies, and is a pleasure to ride into the wind. Some smaller guys complain that it's too stiff and beats them up, but I've never had this problem (I do keep 25c tires on it, though). For a tourer you'd be better off with something like my 'B' ride, a Specialized Sequoia. It has a longer wheel base, is easier to mount fenders, panniers, and has a more upright riding position.

Edit: And check out Road Bike Review- link at the bottom of the page

1 - 14 of 14 Posts