Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Been looking at some racing ralphs or rocket ron's but people say they are good but wear way to fast, and for the money I dont think I want to replace after 3 months.

I ride to work which is about 12 miles there and back, so lots of road, but like the offroad stuff as well.

I need light and fast and well wearing.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
canada16 said:
Hey

Been looking at some racing ralphs or rocket ron's but people say they are good but wear way to fast, and for the money I dont think I want to replace after 3 months.

I ride to work which is about 12 miles there and back, so lots of road, but like the offroad stuff as well.

I need light and fast and well wearing.

Thanks guys
Get two sets of tires. Slicks for commuting. Knobbies for off road. Lightweight off road tires will not be long wearing and fast rolling on pavement and few long wearing tires will perform well in the dirt.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Check out Specialized "The Captain" 2.2. I've used mine for about a year with plenty of road rides (up to 50 mile rides). They roll well, and wear well, and still hook-up very respectfully off-road. Not sure how light they are though, but I think they're great if you are not into changing tires every other ride.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
GMM said:
Check out Specialized "The Captain" 2.2. I've used mine for about a year with plenty of road rides (up to 50 mile rides). They roll well, and wear well, and still hook-up very respectfully off-road. Not sure how light they are though, but I think they're great if you are not into changing tires every other ride.
But are you riding them 60 miles a week, every week, on pavement?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a real... Look at my bike type of guy.. Ha Ha

I would not ride with a 100.00 bike, I know thats very bad, but thats just me.

Slicks are a no go, I dont have time to swap out and some of my journey is off road, but only about 1 mile or so, and sometimes (if I have the time) I can go off road all the way home, just takes a little longer.

Those captians look good.

I am running panaracer fire xc on my bike, they wear very well, but a little slow.

Looking at Furious Freds, but they are like £35.00 = $45.00 each, which is way to much if they wear quick.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
shiggy said:
But are you riding them 60 miles a week, every week, on pavement?
I do late winter through spring. I pump them up to 60 psi on the road and they are fine. Not setting any speed records of course. I'm sure they're faster tires, but they really are very usable for both on and off-road.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
canada16 said:
I am a real... Look at my bike type of guy.. Ha Ha

I would not ride with a 100.00 bike, I know thats very bad, but thats just me.

Slicks are a no go, I dont have time to swap out and some of my journey is off road, but only about 1 mile or so, and sometimes (if I have the time) I can go off road all the way home, just takes a little longer.

Those captians look good.

I am running panaracer fire xc on my bike, they wear very well, but a little slow.

Looking at Furious Freds, but they are like £35.00 = $45.00 each, which is way to much if they wear quick.
The FFreds are race-day tires. Thin, light and almost no tread.

These are not ultra light but they do pretty well for combined road trail:
Schwalbe Black Jack 2.25 - not expensive, wears well, reasonably easy rolling
Panaracer CG XC 2.1 - FAST on trail with good grip, OK wear, easy rolling on pavement

Almost anything will roll better on pavement than the Fire XC

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
I've had a Geax Saguaro on the front of my 29er for the better part of two years. In that time I've put over 2500 miles of trail, bike path (paved and crusher gravel), dirt roads and roads on that tire. It is showing some wear, but I'd call it 50% tread.

The front will wear slower than the rear, and I've worn out a couple different rear tires in that span, but I'm still impressed with how well its held up. I've never used the Saguaro on the rear, but I'm impressed with it as a front tire. Rolls quite well on paved roads too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.