Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new MTB and went on a relatively easy ride with my son. It did involve a lot of riding over rocks etc...going up steep hills with rocks. I can ride 100 miles a week on my roady and not suffer any knee soreness. Did anybody else have sore knees when first riding on the trails? I do have a prior knee injury so that obviously would contribute, and the main reason I went with FS as a newbie. But like I said no issues on my roady. I am fitted perfectly to the bike as well.

Below are my two giants. I don't like Giant as you can tell :)

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
jcd's best friend
3,325 Posts
Hard to say what's wrong seeing you were fitted to the bike. My recommendation is to visit your doctor and see what they can do. Perhaps there is something internally wrong that's surfacing now considering you had a prior injury. Does generalized pedaling down the street cause your knee to hurt or is it when you are doing certain things on the bike?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally, I would do a few more rides and see if the soreness stays or goes away. Your body can adapt to various bike geometries to a point but it won't happen in one ride. Even if you've done a proper bike fit, the geometries between the two bikes are not identical. I was on mountain bikes for 20 years (usually just one bike for a few years at a time), then for various reasons switched to a road bike about a year ago and took a break from mtb. I got back on my existing mountain bike a couple of weeks ago and got sore knees after the first ride. It still took me by surprise because prior to the break I'd ridden this bike for about 4 years with no issues. But that also tells me it's just a matter of body readjusting to the geometry again. I think it's the minor differences in reach and seat tube angle that have an impact on how your knees feel after the first couple of rides. And the cleat position on the shoes if you use clipless pedals.

As a side note, I once switched from concave to convex flat pedals. The convex shape caused me quite a bit of pain in the feet for the first few rides, bad enough that I nearly switched back to the old pedals. But I tried it for a few more rides, the body adapted, and the pain went away.

If your knee pain doesn't go away after the first few rides and you use clipless pedals, I'd start by playing with the position of the cleats on your shoes, and forward/aft position of the saddle on the seat post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to say what's wrong seeing you were fitted to the bike. My recommendation is to visit your doctor and see what they can do. Perhaps there is something internally wrong that's surfacing now considering you had a prior injury. Does generalized pedaling down the street cause your knee to hurt or is it when you are doing certain things on the bike?
I can do 100 miles in a week on my road bike. General riding down the road is fine on the MTB. It was my first time hitting the trails, ever. Lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I would do a few more rides and see if the soreness stays or goes away. Your body can adapt to various bike geometries to a point but it won't happen in one ride. Even if you've done a proper bike fit, the geometries between the two bikes are not identical. I was on mountain bikes for 20 years (usually just one bike for a few years at a time), then for various reasons switched to a road bike about a year ago and took a break from mtb. I got back on my existing mountain bike a couple of weeks ago and got sore knees after the first ride. It still took me by surprise because prior to the break I'd ridden this bike for about 4 years with no issues. But that also tells me it's just a matter of body readjusting to the geometry again. I think it's the minor differences in reach and seat tube angle that have an impact on how your knees feel after the first couple of rides. And the cleat position on the shoes if you use clipless pedals.

As a side note, I once switched from concave to convex flat pedals. The convex shape caused me quite a bit of pain in the feet for the first few rides, bad enough that I nearly switched back to the old pedals. But I tried it for a few more rides, the body adapted, and the pain went away.

If your knee pain doesn't go away after the first few rides and you use clipless pedals, I'd start by playing with the position of the cleats on your shoes, and forward/aft position of the saddle on the seat post.
This makes me feel a bit better! Im trying to be more active and not blame my knees lol. I also wanted a switch to keep riding interesting. I ride my road bike almost every morning, but now my knee is too sore from the MTB.

The geometry is very different and makes sense your body has to adjust. Thanks for the reassurance! I am riding flats but go clipless on the roady. I am not having any foot pains at the moment. I am still playing with the seat placement as well as this bike has a dropper post.

·
jcd's best friend
3,325 Posts
This makes me feel a bit better! Im trying to be more active and not blame my knees lol. I also wanted a switch to keep riding interesting. I ride my road bike almost every morning, but now my knee is too sore from the MTB.

The geometry is very different and makes sense your body has to adjust. Thanks for the reassurance! I am riding flats but go clipless on the roady. I am not having any foot pains at the moment. I am still playing with the seat placement as well as this bike has a dropper post.
Is that the Defy Advanced road bike? I used to have one and I didn't like it. Too heavy! I now ride my Trek Emonda SL6 and love it! I'm fixing to get a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3s for my Emonda soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that the Defy Advanced road bike? I used to have one and I didn't like it. Too heavy! I now ride my Trek Emonda SL6 and love it! I'm fixing to get a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3s for my Emonda soon.
Yep the defy advanced. I believe it's just under 20LBS. I like it considering it's carbon and under $3K.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I wouldn't worry, you'll almost certainly be able to sort it.

I would be looking at fit. Where you want to be on the bike for riding rough stuff is not the same as for road riding. Try moving stuff.

Also, consider flat pedals. For trails I find it best you have your foot further forward than the typical clipped foot position for road. I think a lot of people do. With flats your foot will naturally find the most comfortable place to sit. That alone can make a big difference.

Do you lower the saddle when off road?

I think if you mess with all of these things you'll get it. If you don't get knee pain on the road there isn't really any reason why you should off it.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Def check out fit and maybe talk to doc, but it can take time to adapt when using a body part differently. The usual recommendation is not to push through pain as the resulting irritation and inflammation can make it worse. Best to work up gradually stopping just short of pain and gradually increase duration or intensity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I don’t feel the pain until the next day so in the moment I don’t realize how hard I’m pushing it.

I have meniscus pain in my knee. Two surgeries showed no injury but just muscular tension. Hurts like hell to be just muscular but whatever. Road cycling has actually helped with my knee issues. The more I ride the less it hurts. After a few days of no riding it’s all stiff and aches.

I suspect once I find the sweet spot on my bike fit all will be well like it was on my other bike. Also I may need to adjust the suspension as well. We did it quickly at the LBS but it probably could be fine tuned.

·
jcd's best friend
3,325 Posts
Yeah I don't feel the pain until the next day so in the moment I don't realize how hard I'm pushing it.

I have meniscus pain in my knee. Two surgeries showed no injury but just muscular tension. Hurts like hell to be just muscular but whatever. Road cycling has actually helped with my knee issues. The more I ride the less it hurts. After a few days of no riding it's all stiff and aches.

I suspect once I find the sweet spot on my bike fit all will be well like it was on my other bike. Also I may need to adjust the suspension as well. We did it quickly at the LBS but it probably could be fine tuned.
Have you done any strength training for your knee or physical therapy?

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,095 Posts
Saddle height and position is the likely culprit, especially since you're switching to flats. They'll put your foot in a different position from the clipless so gotta take that into consideration. When I ride clipless, the pedal spindle is usually under the ball of my foot but on flats it's farther back (yours may differ depending on setup/riding style). Other differences like pedal/shoe sole thickness should also be taken into account.

The other thing to think about is the fact that you're out of the saddle a lot more off road, which can stress muscles/joints differently than just spinning on the road. It's always a good idea to take it easy until you're adjusted when doing a new sport (yeah, they're both bikes but as mentioned, how you ride them is quite different).

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Mountain bike geometry has dramatically changed in the last few years, and bike shops tend to be very slow to adapt. It concerns me any time I see someone has been "fit" to a modern mountain bike. That often means some lbs guy stuck in the early 2000's is trying to fit you like we used to fit 26ers with 100mm stems.

Its safe to say if your knees hurt, your fit is wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The other thing to think about is the fact that you're out of the saddle a lot more off road, which can stress muscles/joints differently than just spinning on the road. It's always a good idea to take it easy until you're adjusted when doing a new sport (yeah, they're both bikes but as mentioned, how you ride them is quite different).
What he said, plus more torque application and less spinning

My second season of MTB underway after being a roadie for a couple of decades. Lots more going slowly and powering through obstacles. Lots less high rpm, low torque scenarios. That's what made me sore for a while!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Saddle too low, sore knees.
Pushing a harder gear, sore knees.
Riding with flat pedals, where you mash down but can’t spin, sore knees.
Pushing heavier bike with flat pedals up steeps, sore knees.

I have a Defy Advanced, love that bike. Had to upgrade the wheelset though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Saddle height and position is the likely culprit, especially since you're switching to flats. They'll put your foot in a different position from the clipless so gotta take that into consideration. When I ride clipless, the pedal spindle is usually under the ball of my foot but on flats it's farther back (yours may differ depending on setup/riding style). Other differences like pedal/shoe sole thickness should also be taken into account.

What he said, plus more torque application and less spinning

My second season of MTB underway after being a roadie for a couple of decades. Lots more going slowly and powering through obstacles. Lots less high rpm, low torque scenarios. That's what made me sore for a while!
Saddle too low, sore knees.
Pushing a harder gear, sore knees.
Riding with flat pedals, where you mash down but can't spin, sore knees.
Pushing heavier bike with flat pedals up steeps, sore knees.

I have a Defy Advanced, love that bike. Had to upgrade the wheelset though.
Thanks guys! I am still playing with the fit. I just ordered a new saddle so that will change things. Also my suspension is not tuned to my style, which can change things once I get my shock pump. I feel like I need to get the suspension right before making any other mechanical adjustments. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The spinning comment vs torq is probably what did it. I was spinning like crazy up the hills and rocks on my first MTB ride LOL. I am still sore and stiff in the knee from that ride 3 days ago.

Looks like some more tweaking of the bike and perhaps getting my body in shape and used to MTB riding.

Question....I would like to continue road cycling. Do you know anybody who does both, and how their body adapts?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.