Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to MTB but not new to riding but man after a short 7 mile ride with my son my elbows are killing me ( Tendonitis ) . Any helpful tips on set up would be appreciated. I ride a stock fuji 1.9 Thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Seven miles on the trail is not necessarily short for a newb. What kind of trail?

Your bike has a rigid fork and itty-bitty tires, so it's not really set up to absorb much shock on the trail, which could account for it. Between that and 7 miles potentially being a pretty good pounding if you aren't used to it and have an existing sensitivity . . . .

You could have too much weight forward on your handlebars, but that usually manifests in wrist discomfort. I see that you already have the tendinitis, but one might think that your wrists would bug you a bit also. Without delving into the geometry of your bike, it looks like it's set up for more upright riding than most mountain bikes, so that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
12,886 Posts
It is equally likely that the problem is how your bike fits under you and your physical fitness. How long can you hold a plank? How many consecutive push-ups can you do? Those are hypothetical questions that you'll have to consider. Consult with a sports-oriented physical therapist for the best results.

The other half is the bike fit. Sore elbows sounds like the cockpit is too long or too low. It could also be the position of your controls- brake and shift levers, handlebar angle.

Mechanical- does the bike shift and brake smoothly and easily? It could be that the brakes and shifty bits are gunked up and forcing you to push harder than would be ideal, straining your hands and arms.

·
jcd's best friend
3,406 Posts
Are you locking out your elbows? You may need to give your elbows a slight bend and engage your core. Mountain biking will punish your arms quickly if you are locking out your elbows!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.