Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please join us for the first SORBA work project of the new year in DuPont State Forest on Sunday Jan 10th. We will give if a chance to warm up a little before the project, let's meet at 11 AM at the Fawn Lake parking area.

This is a tentative project as we are dependent of DSF getting us some needed materials and the weather could always throw us a curve ball. I will of course post here if this project is a no-go on Friday Jan. 8.

Yes, I know the ground is too frozen to do any tread work. Seems like a good time to go above ground with a project and we will be building 2 puncheons. Puncheon is a low lying (to the ground) but raised timber tread structure. There are many different styles but what we plan to build consists of 3 parts: 1. Mud sills sitting on the ground ans using re-bar to secure 2. Runners sitting on top of the sills (or stringers to use bridge terms) 3. Decking (we will use rough sawn 2'' white oak).

We will build 2 of these raised timber trail structures on the bottom end of Reasonover Creek Trail. You may have noticed standing water or mud after you drop off the Bill D. bridge across the creek before connecting to the road that takes you to the old dining lodge (the building that needs to be torn down). Horses use the ford at this location so this section of trail is only open to bikes and hikers.

If you have some carpentry skills, we could put those to good use on this project. If you don't have any skills, this is a great opportunity to learn how. Bring some basic tools if you have something you are fond of (ripping saw, framing hammer) but we will supply most everything needed tool wise and the materials.

Dress warm for the day as this project is a little less physical than other work days. I may try to build a small camp fire for the day to help warm fingers.

Please let me know if you can join us so I know how many to plan for.

This is a very different type of work project for us and I look forward to sharing some knowledge and skills with folks on how to build good puncheon.

Woody

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Postponed

Sorry to say, but we have to postpone this scheduled workday. This is for several reasons including:

-The sawmill has not milled the needed white oak deck boards

-The weatherman says more snow tonight and if this happens as they are calling for the work area would be covered in snow making the project difficult

-The ground is very frozen making it hard to get the mud sills to sit properly

I am out of town starting mid next week heading to FL for a trail design/build project and not home on a weekend again until early Feb. Let's shoot for that first Sunday in Feb for this re-schedule and I will keep you posted.

Woody

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Slacker... all I see is you and JJ in FLA.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
M-U-M said:
Slacker... all I see is you and JJ in FLA.
Nope, JoJo will be here with Pumpkin. Woody and 3 other TD staff will be down for 10 days in Jan for the design phase of a design/build contract of a trail system and some bike park elements. The full TD crew will be there for a month in Feb. for the construction phase.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
JJ/Kitteh/TJaye = parta

:yawn:

Or not. Gosh almighty - I got ride withdrawals...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts