Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I will start this off by saying - any of ya'll from the north don't laugh...we southerner's get cold easilyl...I also lived in Ohio for 8 years...so I DO know how cold it can really be...

I went riding on Friday and it seemed cold...but I was fine...temp's yesterday and today aren't much lower, only a few degrees...but man does it feel colder!!

The high today is 48 - it will only be about 43 around 11-12ish when we hit the trails...I REALLY wanna go ride this advanced trail we haven't gotten on yet...but my brain is saying...man it's TOO cold out there!!

Oh...on a lighter note...if you haven't checked my blog yet I have stories of my rides...and my first spill on Friday... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Hmmm. Well you don't ask about what we wear to ride in cold weather (coldest I've ridden is 10 degrees) so I guess you're just wanting to pass on that you don't ride when it's much under 50. Okay.

As for your blog...can't say I have any interest in reading anyones blog. Sorry.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Just layer your clothes

Layer your clothes and you should feel slightly chilly when the ride starts. Your body will warm up as you ride.

Bob

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah...I try to layer...but my cold weather riding clothes are limited right now as I have just gotten started.

Today I will wear...two long sleeve shirts w/ a NorthFace Fleece vest over that...my riding gloves, a Novara thermal skull cap that covers up my ears under my helmet...shorts with Novara leg warmers...

I don't have any pants I can wear b/c the pants I have are too baggy and I feel like they would get caught up in something...

·
KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
265 Posts
Just did a nite ride at 15 degrees the other nite, for nearly two hours.

43 to 48 degrees? Clyde said it best, especially the part where you warm up as you ride. For me, those temps would call for a long sleeve jersey, over a short sleeve, then a light jacket/windbreaker, some legwarmers and some thick socks. And a cap.

Shed cap, jacket, legwarmers as you ride, if necessary.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I had a wind-breaking riding jacket of some sort...my NorthFace fleece vest does a pretty good job of blowing the wind...but it is a vest, so my long sleeve tee's don't always do the trick on my arms...

·
265 Posts
Time to go shopping! Check you're LBS or go to one of those big name sporting goods stores and check out cold weather cycling/running clothes. They make arm warmers too, that might be a good idea.

As far as your fleece is concerned, that is your best option. A riding jacket or windbreaker will hold in more moisture and when you stop to take a break, you will get cold from all of the sweat collected in your jacket.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Above forty F should be easy.

You need protection from the wind in front, arms,body and legs.

You need big time ventilation out the back body arms and legs.

I don't add a layer, until its below freezing, and then the same as above.

Really cold (-20 C) I add a wool sweater or fleece outside, since the wind blows through when your working hard, but if you stop the lack of wind allows the wool or fleece to keep you warm.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
I know you don't want people from up in the northern states laughing at you, but, mid 40s?! Just wear a long sleeve jersey, windbreaker, and tights!

This morning me and my wife left to go riding, here is a pic of the temp. gauge in our car:

Here we are about to leave the shop:

Normally about 10-20 people show up for our Sunday morning rides. This morning. . .Just me and my wife :D

And, I admit it, we totally wussed out! We got *almost* 1 mile down the road, and then we turned around. :rolleyes: Geez. It's just too cold in Michigan!

·
265 Posts
You two deserve credit for the attempt. That was the same temp here in Illinois this morning....went to the basement and hit the trainer for an hour....yipee!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
man a high of 48 degrees, i'd probably be breaking out the shorts if it was that warm here. i'm usually comfortable with anything above 30 degrees as long as its not really windy. 40-50 degrees is perfect riding weather. just wear layers, warm gloves and socks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
As long as your feet and head are warm, the rest of you should be fine.At that temperature, I find I don't even need special gloves. Two breathable layers, a lightweight down vest and a shell are my only changes. And wool socks. Can't forget wool socks.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Oh man, 48, sorry, but that is summer time. -16 for a low here and -4 for a high today, windchill of -35...needless to say, riding=death. But everyone else has it pretty much down. And avoid wearing cotton. The cold is just in your head, mental toughness will keep you warm!

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
It was -14 C here yesterday which converts to a balmy 7 degrees F which I consider good winter riding weather. Our lowest temps so far (with wind chills) have pushed things down to nearly -40.

I've ridden in the "death zone" when the temps have been -40 (where F meets C) and then you have to factor in the wind chill caused by the act of riding itself which can make things feel like -60... you don't want to be exposing any flesh to this.

My typical winter gear is:

Fleece pants
Windproof shell pants
2 pairs wool socks - one pair of light Merino socks plus a thicker wool sock
Dry Ice winter hiking boots with added thermal insole
Waterproof and windproof Gordini fleece gloves with a poly innner glove
3 in 1 fleece hoodie
Shell jacket
Fleece jacket
Long sleeved riding shirt
Scott ski goggles with UV protection

My outer shell weighs next to nothing and it's sole purpose is to block wind and moisture while enjoying a good deal of breathability...it get used year round as it serves double duty as my rain and cool weather gear.

When it's really cold your body will reduce circulation to your extremities in order to maintain your core temperature and once the core temperature is okay, bloodflow to the hands and feet will improve.

Eye and face protection is important especially when it's cold and snowy... you will want to protect your eyes from too much exposure and protect the tissues aroung your eyes as well.

·
Jump in
94 Posts
27 over at the Conyers Olympic Park this morning. Had a wicking long sleeve T, jersey, arm warmers, and a fleece long sleeve jersey (along with tights, full finger gloves and two pair of socks [thin wicking and warm]).

Thought I was gonna die of heat prostration after about two miles. Ended up with the jersey and fleece long sleeve (tights gloves and socks). Mid forties and I'm in a jersey with arm warmers, long finger gloves and tights. Probably lose the arm warmers after an hour or so.

Ride Panicfan77, ride. If you have an REI nearby, go get one of their house brand wicking long sleeve T's, those will broil your buns.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I'm in the same city as Sixty-Fiver... I am not as converted to all the specific gear, but I still get out and ride.

I usually go for my wicking under clothes followed by cycling shorts and a short sleeved jersey. Over top of the shorts, I go for sweat pants. On top of the jersey, I usually go long sleeved t-shirt, sweat shirt and windbreaker. I have a headband for my ears (my helmet is a 3/4 style and it keeps my head fairly warm) and will break out a scarf (tucked into the windbreaker) for the really cold stuff. For my hands, I've got a fairly comfy set of winter gloves that have some pretty good feel through them...if it isn't quite that cold, I'll just use my long fingered riding gloves.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It was 38 here today and I just wore a base layer with a jersey over it. Zippered stuff helps a lot, because you trap a lot of heat zipping up to your neck. I was warm enough I had to open it a little to vent. For pants I'm just wearing shorts over a pair of compression tights pulled over my padded shorts (no easy feat). I have a Buff on my head just because I lack any other insulation up there.

Usually when I'm riding on the road or forest roads at that temp I throw a fleece vest on. If it's any colder I'll usually put a fleece jacket on and that usually fits the bill. If it requires anything heavier than that, chances are I'll just opt to do some yoga that night.

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Being from buffalo, I can tell that you would not want to ride a bike when the temperature drops below -10F, with the windchill being several degrees more below. You would not want to expose any part of the skin to the wind.... I tried to ride a bike in that weather with a ski mask, helmet, goretex jacket, sweatshirts, 2 pairs of leg warmers... but I just couldnt enjoy. The eyes started to freeze, and the clothing was just too bulky to have any fun.... If I was out there riding for an hour or so, the people would have been laughing over my shrivelled up skull..

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been kicking myself for only bike commuting 2-3 times a week lately, with 7am temps in the 20's and teens.

42 would be heaven.

Just put on some sweatpants and strap the right leg down with anything you have handy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.