Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Soon to be Sultan'd...Papa Smurf?

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  LyNx 
#1 · (Edited)
Dave at Redstone was nice enough to post a few pics of my new Sultan on his blog. I think it turned great and Dave couldn't have been any better to work with. I honestly look forward to giving him more business in the future. Thanks Dave.

Between Dave, Chad at Red Barn, and Larry at Mountain High, we are lucky to have such great vendors out there to deal with.

Anyway, I had a 5 Spot years ago and really liked it. I shouldn't have sold it really, but I quit riding when my knee went to shite and kept me off the bike 100%. Well, I just had it scoped last week and this is one more reason to recover and get back out there.

My reason for the Sultan came from my enjoyment of the 5 Spot combined with how much fun I have had on my 29er hardtail recently. It should be a good marriage of the two.

I struggled a bit with the fork selection but eventually leaned towards the sharper handling Fox with the idea that I can move to either the Manitou or White Bros if I want more travel/slackness. I went with the Stans Flow rims in case I go with a burlier fork down the road. Oh yeah, and I'm waiting for the 29er Pike that will be out next year. (<---using the Jedi mind trick on Rock Shox there)

I'll post a more detailed post in the Sultan build thread, but here's what she looks like.

See less See more
#13 ·
cocheese said:
Amen to that! I think Dave sent it yesterday, so it should be here next week. At least I can, uhhhhhhh...sit on it in the garage and make vroom vroom noises?! ;)
wow...been a long time since we've been riding???? :eek::confused:

because the only time a bike makes vroom vroom noises is when you've had too many beans for dinner the night before a long ride! ;):p

#17 ·
kosmo said:
Nice bike. If you liked the Spot, you'll love the Sultan.

You and the entire Sultan Owners' Club are awaiting the 29er Pike!
Thanks Kosmo. Yeah, I think waiting for the 29er Pike will be like waiting for the Great Pumpkin. That would just be the perfect fork for the Sultan. I wonder what alternatives we'll have a in a year or so?

#18 ·
It's been rumored that that's about the time frame you'd be waiting for to get it. The WB 150 should be a good fork, but lack of a travel adjust just doesn't cut it. Definitely a 100-140mm travel adjust with 36mm stanchions, 20mm thru axle would be the ultimate.
cocheese said:
Thanks Kosmo. Yeah, I think waiting for the 29er Pike will be like waiting for the Great Pumpkin. That would just be the perfect fork for the Sultan. I wonder what alternatives we'll have a in a year or so?
Oh and yeah, Totally Blingy Sultan :thumsup: looks super - I'm jealous. :(

#19 ·
LyNx said:
It's been rumored that that's about the time frame you'd be waiting for to get it. The WB 150 should be a good fork, but lack of a travel adjust just doesn't cut it. Definitely a 100-140mm travel adjust with 36mm stanchions, 20mm thru axle would be the ultimate.:(
I'm mostly just a trail guy. For me, 32mm stanchions, QR and 120 or so with the wind-down would be fine.

But the real key is coil-sprung. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to make due with the current versions of the Reba or Fox.

#20 ·
LyNx said:
It's been rumored that that's about the time frame you'd be waiting for to get it. The WB 150 should be a good fork, but lack of a travel adjust just doesn't cut it. Definitely a 100-140mm travel adjust with 36mm stanchions, 20mm thru axle would be the ultimate.

Oh and yeah, Totally Blingy Sultan :thumsup: looks super - I'm jealous. :(
Yes, that would be the ultimate fork spec for the Sultan I think.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to riding it. :)

#21 ·
kosmo said:
I'm mostly just a trail guy. For me, 32mm stanchions, QR and 120 or so with the wind-down would be fine.

But the real key is coil-sprung. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to make due with the current versions of the Reba or Fox.
I'm pretty much a trail rider too. I think that the Fox will be just right and the DT skewer may give it a little more stiffness in the front. I'm used to the Reba on my hardtail, so the Fox should feel stiffer based on the reviews I've read.

#22 ·
You're welcome :D I think you, me and the rest of the 29er cycling world will be patiently awaiting that fork :D through in the 36mm stanchions for good measure ;) We can dream right :skep:

cocheese said:
Yes, that would be the ultimate fork spec for the Sultan I think.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to riding it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.