·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks I wont figure out the hard way then what the difference is, I'll just use the 8898. read the reviews on amazon couple people talking about using for tubless for the 8898, none talking about that for the other stuff.

is that lighter then gorilla tape? just bought a set of wheels from someone that was goin to use them, never did, but one wheel he applied gorilla tape, the other had a tube type rim strip still. should I remove that gorilla tape and use the 3m tape? cause I know alot of people also use that stuff.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
thanks I wont figure out the hard way then what the difference is, I'll just use the 8898. read the reviews on amazon couple people talking about using for tubless for the 8898, none talking about that for the other stuff.

is that lighter then gorilla tape? just bought a set of wheels from someone that was goin to use them, never did, but one wheel he applied gorilla tape, the other had a tube type rim strip still. should I remove that gorilla tape and use the 3m tape? cause I know alot of people also use that stuff.
Lighter and thinner, but Gorilla Tape works for tubeless as well.

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
8898 are way easier to mount tubes if you get a flat that won't seal vs gorilla tape. And they leave no residue. But they are not nearly as sticky and I've managed to get sealant/moisture underneath the tape and cause leaks and inability to seal that way. I have also used Stapples strapping tape that has the fibers. Less thick than gorilla, but thicker and stickier than 8898; not as much residue as gorilla, but they leave fibers on removal. Also the cheapest of the 3. Just another option of you aren't satisfied with 8898.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great thanks for the replies. I got the 8898, I'll give that a shot first. Good to know that there are options if I have any trouble with this stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have about 3 weeks using the Staples fiber reinforced strapping tape (couldn't find any 3M locally). Very strong and sticky. Used 2 layers on Stan's Flow EX - pulled as tight as possible - and holding air very well so far, once the tire sealed up.

Could not get it to work on my non-tubeless ready Mavic 719 rim, so went ghetto with that and it's working great so far (mounted both with non tubeless Nevegals).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got the front wheel done 2 nights ago. got the wheel to air up no problem, bead seated nicely all around. splashed the wheel all around, spinning, bouncing, shacking for a while. came out after work next day flatter than heck. still seated beads though. so I'll air it up tomorrow and see where the leaks are. think I gotta add a bit more sealant cause seems like it all leaked out.

any tips? got duster tlr rims and fast track tires.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow really? Guess I gotta wait a week anyways, might as well try it again. Probably woulda been fine if i'd have just Aired them up and rode them.
I'll do the tube trick too. Thinking I'll go 2 layers of the tape. like I said I have to wait anyways. I already have the tape might as well give it one more try.then I'll have the proper rim strips ready to go if they do feel later.
I also did a bit of research and found people suggesting to use the rhythm strips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts