Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my job might transfer me from Tucson to Sonora. Any info. on the riding and living would be great. I love riding from the house which is something I don't get in Tucson. Where would be the best place with in about a 30 min. drive from Sonora where I could I get this? Its not official but its looking promising. Going to go visit soon. How is the housing market? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Sonora is a cool town.

Sonora has some trails. However, think of Sonora as the hub. You will have to drive to get to some of the better ones. Pinecrest to the East, Hogan to the North, Auburn to the waay north, Downieville to the waaaay north, etc. I'm sure someone else can tell you about the trails in and around Sonora.

The housing market is great for a buyer, however mortgage rates are being goofy. Who knows what they are going to be like when and if you do move there. Chances for another Fed hike is becoming greater each day. Still all in all, rates are better than they were 10 years ago.

Good luck!

jps

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd have to sell my place in Tucson anyway which might not be the easiest thing to do, however all it takes is one buyer. Looks like alot of good forest around there. Is there any riding right out of town that you know of? The other option is Redding. Still deliberating.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
You might also consider Angels Camp. About a half-hour from Sonora. Lots of good riding in the Angels Camp, Arnold and Bear Valley areas.

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
I'm a life-long Sonora resident. One of the main reasons I have stayed in the area is the abundance of great outdoor sports opportunities.

Being nestled in the Sierras between Yosemite to the South, and Tahoe to the North, this area has stayed pretty under the radar when it comes to outdoor sports, since those spots attract most of the tourists.

There are a couple cool trails right out of Sonora that a few locals ride, but most of the good stuff is East up HWY 108. If I was looking for a house in this area and wanted to ride from home, I would look in Twain Harte and above. Nice places, as long as you are cool with snow part of the year.

Check out http://ogrehut.com/ for some route descriptions of some trails in the area. Good stuff, although they are mistakenly listed under the heading of Southern Sierra trails. This area is typically refered to as the Central Sierras.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Come here not there

Ok. First off do not go to Redding. Chris King moved form there and went even further North to Oregon. That should tell you a lot. Sonora is a very looked after little town. Many Cal natives would love to be able to live in and work in this part of California. You should be so lucky. You will be in the center of it all. You will not be disappointed.

Can you handle the very cold? (winter) Perfect weather in summer. This is were I ride during the Hot summer months after the snow melts.

Being able to ride from your door could happen depending on exactly were your home/Cabin will be on Hwy 108. 20-30 min away you will encounter a lot of choice riding. New Malone's,Red Hills, Mine Shaft, Lions Dam,Dodge Ridge, Pin Ball, Pine Crest Peak, Deer Creek and so much more unknown stuff we are still exploring up in these parts. 45min + you will find Lake Hogan and Bear Valley Hwy 4. Bear Valley is a religious experience when it comes to MTBing in this area. You will have no fees or any restrictions of any kind Mtbing in this area of Caly. Were you want when you want.

I would suggest looking for a home in Sonora (hwy 108), James town (hwy108), Angles Camp(hwy 4) and a bit further up a nice little town of Murphy's (hwy 4). All of these small towns are below the Snow line. I my self am not in to the snow thing much. Calaveras County is were you will be looking for your knew beginning.

California is just so expensive as whole to live here. Seem like you are taxed for everything under the sun. I will leave the Real Estate to the experts.

Let me know when you're in Cal?

You can all so contact here on this board Jeff Boatman. His handle is (mountainboat) he lives and works in this area now. A real nice guy.

Good luck to you.

JDT

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Joseph-da-trog said:
Sonora is a very sauté after little town.
JDT
Engrish, preeze? Don't make me put you in my sig. :p

All I know about Sonora is that the Most Beautiful Girl In The World lives and works there. *sigh*

fp

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Engrish, preeze? Don't make me put you in my sig. :p

All I know about Sonora is that the Most Beautiful Girl In The World lives and works there. *sigh*

fp
saute?:skep:

Sonora's more of a grillin' town......In fact, if you ask some of "locals" real nice like, you might even be able to get their recipe for roadkill surprise.

(hint)........slowly smoking it over a good tire fire makes all the difference!

Most beautiful girl in the world, huh? Where's she work? Maybe I "know" her.

.......all I know about Sonora is that if I have never "known" her, I can probably name at least 3 guys who have.:D

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I'm not telling.

mountainboat said:
Most beautiful girl in the world, huh? Where's she work? Maybe I "know" her.

.......all I know about Sonora is that if I have never "known" her, I can probably name at least 3 guys who have.:D
And don't spoil my image. Maybe someday, we can have a beer at Stan's & discuss her. :thumbsup:

fp

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Finch Platte said:

fp
If she used to work up the road at the Strawberry Store, then I'd have to agree

Supposed to be some good Mtb biking near Parrots Ferry Bridge

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't love the snow, but I can live with some. I'd rather go to it if I feel like it. What elevation is the snow line usually come down to? Does the area convert solely to snow sports in the winter? I read that the pass closes from Oct to April. So I guess your traveling down hill during that time.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Snow and cold is rare!

I ride in the Sonora area all winter, mostly at night, and snow is very rare. It's nearly always above freezing overnight and in the mid 50's or higher during the coldest month. The weather in winter is usually much nicer than the central valley, which gets fogged in. It would be a really nice place to live. Sonora Pass is high in the mountains. Check this out: http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USCA1077?from=search

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,167 Posts
If

TahoeBC said:

If yer into big drops and huge jumps yes. Otherwise it's not that great.

Redding or Sonora, what a choice. Both towns have great MTB choices nearby. Man what a tough call. I would probably go with Sonora but I don't think you can lose either way. You might want to talk to LemurianGuy about what's up near Redding. Very nice stuff.

·
Young.Brash.Hopeful.
371 Posts
dogalope said:
Don't love the snow, but I can live with some. I'd rather go to it if I feel like it. What elevation is the snow line usually come down to? Does the area convert solely to snow sports in the winter? I read that the pass closes from Oct to April. So I guess your traveling down hill during that time.
on cold storms the snow will dip down to 1500-2000ft, Murphys is a good spot. In a normal winter we would get dusted once or twice each winter but never really got any accumulation. This area is a killer place to live. If Redding is similar, there is some awesome riding to be had but beware of the summers, that place gets very hot.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,167 Posts
dogalope said:
Not much snow in Sonora, up the hill a little it gets it though. Sonora is about 30 minutes away from Dodge Ridge. Given the choice I would rather have the small amounts of snow you get in Sonora than the 10-20 days of 100+ degree weather you get in Redding.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Actually, I think Tucson Real Estate prices are probably more expensive than Sonora Real Estate.

Gas to operate your vehicles is expensive here.

Other than that, I think we're pretty cheap.

dogalope said:
Beside the initial cost of real estate, what makes living in CA so expensive?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Parrots Ferry ?

TahoeBC said:

Parrots Ferry is best know as a swimming hole for the Russians

Ride yer bike at New Hogan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.