Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am again. Now want to find out how many parts from my current hardtail can still be used on Sonix frame as is.

AFAIK, Sonix frame is designed to accept conventional XC cranksets with 22/32/42(44) chainrings.

But I prefer non-conventional 2x9 setups with two chainrings being sized inbetween those classic ones. Something like 24/36T, 26/38T, 28/40T or 29/42T combos. With bashring or without. The result is more efficient drivetrain. You have only two rings to shift between, smaller one for steep climbs and bigger one for all other cases. IMHO, if the smallest (22T) and the bigest (44T) rings are very rare used then "exotic" 2x9 is the way to go. And as a bonus you get a better chainline too.

I have two setups:
1) 28/40T + bashring - for summer; the majority of climbs can be conquerred with 28T chainring front and the largest 34T cassete ring rear; 40T is also big enought in most cases to go fast downhill or on smooth horizontal road
2) 24/36T + bashring - for winter; easier to sweat you way through snow, and even with spiked tyres you wouldn't go too fast on smooth anyway so 36T is big enough

I've discovered there is very little clearance between the chainrings and frame chainstays on Sonix (there is a whole thread on this topic) so now I wonder if I can fit those cranks on a Sonix frame with my "exotic" rings without issues.

My crankset is Truvativ Stylo GXP 2008.

If frame's BB is 68mm there is a possibility to put both GXP BB spacers on the driveside and increase clearance between chainstays and rings. I'd like to try this option if possible but left crank will shift 2.5mm closer to chainstays and I don't know for sure if there is enough space between cranks and chainstays.

What do you think? Am I forced to go back to 22/32/42(44) setup or there is a chance for my 2x9 combinations to fit Sonix frame just fine?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Go on what your research is telling you. :thumbsup:

You can run a 2X9 on just about any bike what your confronting is the larger Granny gear contacting something like the chainstay. Look at it this way if you run a 28T Granny and it hits the chainstay then you will have to go to a smaller size that fits. :cornut:

36T is a standard size for the middle ring on a 2X9 setup so there should be no issue there and if there was you will have to run the chainring that fits and you dont have to run the 3rd ring no matter what. Bottom line you can run a 2X9 whether or not your combos will work is a guessing game if your research of post is good it should make it easier to figure out. :rockon:

·
Registered
233 Posts
otoko said:
Here I am again. Now want to find out how many parts from my current hardtail can still be used on Sonix frame as is.

AFAIK, Sonix frame is designed to accept conventional XC cranksets with 22/32/42(44) chainrings.

But I prefer non-conventional 2x9 setups with two chainrings being sized inbetween those classic ones. Something like 24/36T, 26/38T, 28/40T or 29/42T combos. With bashring or without. The result is more efficient drivetrain. You have only two rings to shift between, smaller one for steep climbs and bigger one for all other cases. IMHO, if the smallest (22T) and the bigest (44T) rings are very rare used then "exotic" 2x9 is the way to go. And as a bonus you get a better chainline too.

I have two setups:
1) 28/40T + bashring - for summer; the majority of climbs can be conquerred with 28T chainring front and the largest 34T cassete ring rear; 40T is also big enought in most cases to go fast downhill or on smooth horizontal road
2) 24/36T + bashring - for winter; easier to sweat you way through snow, and even with spiked tyres you wouldn't go too fast on smooth anyway so 36T is big enough

I've discovered there is very little clearance between the chainrings and frame chainstays on Sonix (there is a whole thread on this topic) so now I wonder if I can fit those cranks on a Sonix frame with my "exotic" rings without issues.

My crankset is Truvativ Stylo GXP 2008.

If frame's BB is 68mm there is a possibility to put both GXP BB spacers on the driveside and increase clearance between chainstays and rings. I'd like to try this option if possible but left crank will shift 2.5mm closer to chainstays and I don't know for sure if there is enough space between cranks and chainstays.

What do you think? Am I forced to go back to 22/32/42(44) setup or there is a chance for my 2x9 combinations to fit Sonix frame just fine?
...so did you buy a frame or a complete bike?

Are you enjoying it?

As far as 2x9; won't it space out to where you need it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.