Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Song Vs Leviathan

2K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  jms 
#1 ·
After buying every bike mag I could find, and reading damn near every post on this forum. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

Siren Song www.sireenbikes.com/
or/ Lens Leviathan 3.0 www.lenzsport.com/

I'm hoping to get back into racing this year, but not at the expense of enjoying weekend epics. I can't afford two bikes so I'm hoping for a do it all, light weight, yet comfortable steed with an emphasis on handling, speed, and efficiency. I ride mostly twisty, root strewn North Carolina single track.

The Leviathan is roughly $500. cheaper, but the Song is fully custom so..... You tell me.

I can't test ride either rig so I'm relying heavily on research, opinion, and reputation. Not the best way to choose a new ride I know, but Where I live it's Trek, Specialized, and Cannonade dealers only. No chance I'll see one of these babies on demo, or a local trail.

The rig will be set up with a Carbon lefty & 321 adapter, a mix of XTR Sram, Stans, etc

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Here is my 2 cents, so take it for what it's worth......

I've met Brenden from Siren several times and that dude eats, drinks, breathes bicycles........He is a smart mo-fo and builds beautiful frames. He learned his tooling and welding while working at Intense, but wanted to provide something different than what Intense is known for building.

Sirens are 100% designed, built, painted etc domestically. If I was in the market for an aluminum hardtail, there would be nowhere else I'd look.

That said, I've never been a fan of the Lens stuff, for no other reason that I think they look funny. ;) That's about all I know about them as well.

-C

#5 ·
cork said:
That said, I've never been a fan of the Lens stuff, for no other reason that I think they look funny.
Talk about a funny looking bike- check out the siren song- yikes.

I prefer to judge a bike by it's ride......

As Enel, I am biased by travel and bikes owned. I like travel and short-stays and my LenZ bikes are ABFAB riding.

It is a simple choice to me: you either get a custom frame that will ride like a hardtail or a FS bike. Get the bike that best fits your riding style and your terrain.

#6 ·
Where in NC do you live? That might make a difference in the answer, I think. Also, what type of racing do you plan to do: mostly short XC races, or concentrating on longer endurance events?

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Siren if you're centered in the center or eastern part of the state, and look at the Lenz if you're in the west, maybe even with a consideration of the 4" version of the bike. (Inside info: I lived in the Triangle for six years.) Moreover, if you were doing mainly XC-style races I'd say the Siren; concentrating on longer events = Lenz.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

#7 ·
cork said:
I've met Brenden from Siren several times and that dude eats, drinks, breathes bicycles........He is a smart mo-fo and builds beautiful frames.
I've met him as well and totally agree. Same could be said of Devin Lenz

cork said:
Sirens are 100% designed, built, painted etc domestically. If I was in the market for an aluminum hardtail, there would be nowhere else I'd look.
Same for all Lenz Sport bicycles.

Both these companies are one man show type USA built operations run by passionate people. That part of the decision making process is a wash.

#8 ·
I typically don't respond to the "x vs. y" type posts b/c generally they are filled with objective response based on personal biases, then again, the bikes compared are normally big brands.

This poses a more interesting comparison - you can actually talk to both builders and lay out your requirements. I would opt for the one which best 'sells' their product to you and can tailor it to fit your unique requirements.

#9 ·
I'm with Enel; this boils down to a hardtail with some compliance vs. a full-suspension bike. I don't know the weight difference between the two frames but I'd be surprised if it's more than 1.5 lbs. so that's that. Be honest with yourself about what you're looking for and make your decision. I do have to say that my Lenz Lunchbox is easily one of the most impressive bikes I've ever owned (and that's a long list) both in terms of design/build quality/innovation and ride. You can't go wrong if you're clear on what you really want.

#11 ·
Well we had dinner with Brendan and Mary last night and handed him a couple of grand for my wifes new custom 55er so you know where I stand.

These folks are true enthusiasts who we met riding on Gooseberry just after Interbike (we live in Virgin UT) and make some great stuff... Hell I can't wait to wear out my Hei-Hei 29er so I can get a Siren for myself!

#14 ·
I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, both look very nice and you don't hear to much negative about either one.

I'd say, like said earlier, do you want a FS or a softtail?

What I like to do when I can't decide, I contact the manufacturer, whoever gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside, I go that way.

Edit - One other thing...When is Lenz going to update the web site? Probably doesn't make any difference in this case, but It would be nice to see a little more info about the new longer travel offerings.

#15 ·
I used to Have a 3" travel Levi and currently have a Ti 1.75" travel softtail. Between the two you are looking at you won't be noticing a ton of difference in weight. If you are a die hard hardtail guy and are sick of getting beat up go with the softtail. Either frame you are looking at will do fine as a "do all" bike with the Siren reaching it limits on the rough stuff sooner than the Levi. I would almost be tempted to spend less and get the Levi and put the $$ towards a killer set of wheels.

#16 ·
bigdrunk said:
I used to Have a 3" travel Levi and currently have a Ti 1.75" travel softtail. Between the two you are looking at you won't be noticing a ton of difference in weight. If you are a die hard hardtail guy and are sick of getting beat up go with the softtail. Either frame you are looking at will do fine as a "do all" bike with the Siren reaching it limits on the rough stuff sooner than the Levi. I would almost be tempted to spend less and get the Levi and put the $$ towards a killer set of wheels.
Now that is some sound advice- Killer wheels go a long way......err no pun intended.

#19 ·
Siren Song with Titanium stays and titanium flex plate......yum!

I have no experience with either, just happen to be a big fan of the Song. 1.5" of active travel in a lightweight package for racing and riding sounds very appealing.

Have you seen this one yet? Still in the making and built around 650b wheels, but.......Siren Song, Lefty, Press fit BB30, XX.....I can't wait for the owner to post finished pics.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=578705

#20 ·
Thanks for all your ideas, and opinions.
In a perfect world I'd own both the Song, and a 4" Leviathan. I realize they are two different animals suited for different terrain. It's that fact that makes choosing one so difficult.
I've been in contact with both Devin, and Brandon. Both are incredibly passionate about their craft, and I'm certain Both bikes would reflect that passion on the trail. Can't go wrong I guess.

#25 ·
It has been said here before but the reality is that you need to be truly honest with yourself as to what and how you will be riding. if you are looking for opinion I vote for the Lev as I have personal experience with Lenz... Mind you I am biased as I have never ridden a Siren but hear a lot of good stuff out there...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.