Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
All fat, all the time.
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, so I haven't been paying much attention to the drivetrain stuff lately.
I used to run a 1x9 (BBG bashwich, 30T Andersen machine with 11-34 out back) simple, cheap & effective, for Indiana riding.

I recently moved west to the mountains, so on went the granny & back to 2x9.

Not bad but a bit annoying after running 1x9 for so long.

Now i am planning my next fatbike build, & I was going to stick with 2x....then I started looking around & noticed all these companies doing 40T and 42T cogs, new cool cranks with direct mount rings able to go nice & low like 26T or 28T.

Hmmmm......
I'm thinking back to 1x might be an option again & still be rideable in the mountains....28T up front, 11-42 out back.
Comparing the gear ratios of a 22 granny with 34 rear, or a 28T paired to a 42 rear, very very close....

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Haha, so I haven't been paying much attention to the drivetrain stuff lately.
I used to run a 1x9 (BBG bashwich, 30T Andersen machine with 11-34 out back) simple, cheap & effective, for Indiana riding.

I recently moved west to the mountains, so on went the granny & back to 2x9.

Not bad but a bit annoying after running 1x9 for so long.

Now i am planning my next fatbike build, & I was going to stick with 2x....then I started looking around & noticed all these companies doing 40T and 42T cogs, new cool cranks with direct mount rings able to go nice & low like 26T or 28T.

Hmmmm......
I'm thinking back to 1x might be an option again & still be rideable in the mountains....28T up front, 11-42 out back.
Comparing the gear ratios of a 22 granny with 34 rear, or a 28T paired to a 42 rear, very very close....
Yes. That answers your unasked question, right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts