Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What and how are the Trails off Central or farther west? I live out west and was just wondering if there was any closer access to the West side. DC is like 30 miles from my place...

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
CrazyEye said:
Thanks man! What trails can you access from that side? DC? I'm a rookie...
There is not much for a rookie from the San Juan area... Desert Classic is not accessible from that side of the park. From the parking lot you can go up Alta trail. I consider this a hiking trail, although some of my crazy DH friends like to ride it. I do not suggest that you try this trail until you get lots more experience on the bike. You should instead opt for National from the San Juan parking lot to where it crosses the road. Go across the road and you can ride up National for a while, but where it starts really going UP hill (after it crosses a deep wash), you will probably want to turn around. Another flat-lander trail at that end of the park is the Bajada trail. I'm not sure where exactly it begins so you'll have to do a bit of research. Get a map at the South Mountain park entrance and you'll have a better idea of the layout of trails. Good luck!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bajada...

...starts about at the East end of Alta and runs to where San Juan is closed. Right across that intersection is another trail that rolls through the lower, flat park area. There are a bunch of trails that roll through that area from Alta to the park entrance at Central. I've never ridden any of them except the one that's named with some dude's name. That was a very beginner type trail and I'd imagine all the others down there are pretty easy as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts