Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
rip the line
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding South Mountain on Wed. Rode a bunch of National. There were a bunch of rocks put in the way of some of the better lines. Is this being done by hikers or the powers that be or what's up? I was tempted to move them, but decided to find out what was going on with it. I mean there were deterrent type rocks everywhere. Missed a few good lines because of them. Sorry if this is a copycat thread.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
sunsetrider said:
I was riding South Mountain on Wed. Rode a bunch of National. There were a bunch of rocks put in the way of some of the better lines. Is this being done by hikers or the powers that be or what's up? I was tempted to move them, but decided to find out what was going on with it. I mean there were deterrent type rocks everywhere. Missed a few good lines because of them. Sorry if this is a copycat thread.
It's hard to say without knowing what lines in specific.

·
rip the line
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several of the jumps had some rocks blocking them. One part I'm thinking of is when u finish the climb up Mormon and start down that hill, there is a little berm type roll on the left, someone put rocks all on top of that. There were some others, I don't ride up there a lot so I can't tell u exactly where they were, but there was quite a few places where someone had done some rock line blockages. I was just wondering if this is a common problem on SOMO?

G

·
Its most likely hikers. There aren't a lot of rangers out doing trail work, and when they do its pretty obvious they want a line closed. Not just a couple rocks.

G

·
sixsixtysix said:
Its most likely hikers. There aren't a lot of rangers out doing trail work, and when they do its pretty obvious they want a line closed. Not just a couple rocks.
Yeah... if a ranger did it there would be some wood, brushes, dead plants AND rocks :rolleyes: But they only block uphill lines

·
No Clue Crew
7,707 Posts
Saw the rocks yesterday on the little connector between the top of Mormon and the split. Blocking the new-ish high line to the left as you go down. Not much of a big deal IMO, but it's definitely new.

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
sunsetrider said:
One part I'm thinking of is when u finish the climb up Mormon and start down that hill, there is a little berm type roll on the left, someone put rocks all on top of that.
I know that spot... sounds like it was just to test your bunny-hop skills.

More rocks while descending National = more fun!!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
beardedstealth said:
More rocks while descending National = more fun!!:thumbsup:
Also equals fewer teeth :thumbsup:

We know it wasn't Posh. He doesn't even know the benefits of proper wire management in a PC let alone proper rock placement on the trail.:madmax:

G

·
cesslinger said:
Also equals fewer teeth :thumbsup:

We know it wasn't Posh. He doesn't even know the benefits of proper wire management in a PC let alone proper rock placement on the trail.:madmax:
"Posh Rocks" They're only good for Ginger whips anyway... Do you need to be refreshed on proper Ginger Whip technique again?

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,350 Posts
Mike-e said:
"Posh Rocks" They're only good for Ginger whips anyway... Do you need to be refreshed on proper Ginger Whip technique again?
Where is Posh? He's been mysteriously missing since he met Freddie.

G

·
azdog said:
Where is Posh? He's been mysteriously missing since he met Freddie.
Why ask when you already know? He also just got another computer, he's getting his master....... comand station ready. Jergens bumped up his sponsership to 2 bottles per week

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't think rangers are going to close alternate lines that are still on the trail, i.e. descent from Mormon to National intersection and some of the little rock booters up Natty farther. When they close something, it's usually a trail where it shouldn't be and covered by dead trees and cacti. I usually see a little yellow 'area closed' sign as well. They're not just going to pile loose rocks and risk the safety of riders. When I'm pedaling I try and take the time to clear the rocks out. There's more riders than militant hikers, if we all keep clearing the boobie-traps, we can stay on top of it. If you see someone stacking rocks, just pull up and start clearing while they're stacking. Hopefully they get the hint. If not.....well, it's a big park, hard to find a body before the 'yotes get it. :madman: :madmax:

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
berzerker said:
I don't think rangers are going to close alternate lines that are still on the trail, i.e. descent from Mormon to National intersection and some of the little rock booters up Natty farther. When they close something, it's usually a trail where it shouldn't be and covered by dead trees and cacti. I usually see a little yellow 'area closed' sign as well. They're not just going to pile loose rocks and risk the safety of riders. When I'm pedaling I try and take the time to clear the rocks out. There's more riders than militant hikers, if we all keep clearing the boobie-traps, we can stay on top of it. If you see someone stacking rocks, just pull up and start clearing while they're stacking. Hopefully they get the hint. If not.....well, it's a big park, hard to find a body before the 'yotes get it. :madman: :madmax:
Yeah, that's the spirit!

G

·
yetisurly said:
you are some kind of moronic effigy of George Jetson.
"A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years, a dummy, often roughly made and intentionally amusing or insulting, representing somebody disliked or despised"

Why do you despise me?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.