Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting off, thanks to AZdog for schlepping juantabo and myself up the mountain today. It never ceases to amaze me how welcoming the DH scene is down here.

On a negative note, we were stopped short of the Buena Vista parking lot by a park ranger and given a lecture about proper trail etiquette. Apparently two bikers came screaming down National or Mormon last week on the East side screaming at hikers to clear out of their way. The Phoenix Parks n' Rec got a few calls complaining about the shenanigans and as a result are out in full force this weekend warning riders to mind their manners. The ranger also issued some vague threats about taking the multi out of SoMo's multi-use trails.

No worries to the riders sticking to the North trails like Geronimo and Holbert as they were cited as being light on hikers. This seems to only be a weekend problem so don't worry about traffic Monday thru Friday.

I am only passing along this message because the ranger seemed a little heated just because I was on two wheels.

I think that be it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
we got stopped and recieved that threat and info, then i stated that i had a complaint about some of the hikers we came across. that's when i realized i was just a little boy on a bicycle and that grownup's rule. I can't wait till it's 100 degrees out, and all these fakeass mallwalkers r gone and just the real hiker/trailusers exist.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
I've heard rumors of these "rogue, a-hole DHr's" on our precious lady somo. If anyone can identify them, PM me and we can have a pow-wow to let these punks know that they are giving us a bad name. If these are the ones that I think they are this is not the first time they have blanketed us DHr's in a negative light. Oh the day I catch them there will be explosions coming off the top of the mormon lookout. BOOM!

In a different light...we never seem to see many hikers on wed. mornin's:) I avoid somo on the weekends like H1N1...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My better half and myself ran a quick up to the saddle and back down yesterday, as I finished and climbed out at the bench on the jeep road, there was a woman ranger there and she told me that all us "bikers" needed to slowdown and really watch the hikers.

She was trying to say the multi-use trails could be changed to be not so multi-use because of several shouting and yelling incindents revolving around speeding bikes and hikers on national.

She said there were complaints made ( like we have never heard of that before ).

I tryied to explain to her that there are some really unhappy hikers that love to place booby traps and cause problems with bikers , and that i find way more unhappy hikers than bad bikers , she did not care or want to hear anything I had to say and told me to go slow on the jeep road out .

·
dirt visionary
6,516 Posts
I hope I don't run into a harassing ranger on a bad day but good ride as I don't play well with people who single out groups and harass everyone in that said group. Especially if the person being harassed is enjoying their day minding their own and doing nothing wrong.

·
livin' the dream......
1,967 Posts
Few observations;

1. It would take months of parks board, city council, public meetings to even consider taking the multi out of multi trail. Not that it is impossible, but it will not happen over night, and it will not be done by the direction of a park ranger

2. Phoenix Parks department is very hiker focused. Have you been on the parks webpage? Do you see a mountain bike anywhere (not the last time I looked). Did you notice the trail rating difficulties are geared toward hikers? Not that this is unique to Phoenix, but you see where the focus is. Do you see any mountian bike programs? NO. Why? Hikers make up the largest number of total trail users. No big suprise there.

3. I know some rangers at SoMo. I will put a bug in the ear of a few of them and see what the deal is.

4. Like it was said earlier by latedropbob, self policing is in order. I'm not a DH, but as we all know, a bike is a bike to a non biker. This impacts all riders.

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
clockwork said:
I don't play well with people who single out groups and harass everyone in that said group. Especially if the person being harassed is enjoying their day minding their own and doing nothing wrong.
Guess you're not a Sheriff Joe supporter then...:eek:

Anyway, I was out there Saturday. Saw the ranger. Saw a ton of hikers on the fireroad. Had a great ride with some nice conversation with several hikers. Rode slowly when needed. Saw two punks with FF helmets and wearing blue jeans blow through everybody, but I see that every week.

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Guess you're not a Sheriff Joe supporter then...:eek:

Anyway, I was out there Saturday. Saw the ranger. Saw a ton of hikers on the fireroad. Had a great ride with some nice conversation with several hikers. Rode slowly when needed. Saw two punks with FF helmets and wearing blue jeans blow through everybody, but I see that every week.
Did you "chat" with the two punks? It seems like doing that might be helpful.

I avoid SOMO like the plague on weekends this time of year unless I get there before dawn or late afternoon. Too many trail users. Weekday mornings (again pre dawn) are much more fun and cold.

Can't wait for the heat to get here!!!!!!!!!

bobo

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
I think that whether the trails can be closed to bikers and how the process works and whether there are certain hikers/fascists that booby trap the trails are both irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Unless some meaningful change takes place, at some point and in some manner, bike restrictions are the future. Self-policing, spreading the word, keeping your eyes open and the like are not going to change anything.

G

·
First SoMo Biker/Hiker thread of 2010!
:band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band: :band:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just call in complaints about hikers. Let's face it, they're the ones littering trails, placing boobie-traps, wandering around off-trail, and my personal favorite...leaving bagged poop on the trail in hopes the poop-fairy will come by and clean it up. Hikers don't like to be asked to leash their dog, and clean up its poop, nor do they liked to be asked to stay on the trails, as I recently experienced. We all have cameras on our phones, and video camers are super-cheap these days. You can bet I'll have the camera rolling when the next nazi-hiker gets lippy with me. I'll just send a vid to the rangers showing it's not always bikers causing problems. That works better than tossing them off the mountain. I might throw out my back doing that. :nono: Be nice and ride responsibly :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Dirdir said:
Unless some meaningful change takes place, at some point and in some manner, bike restrictions are the future. Self-policing, spreading the word, keeping your eyes open and the like are not going to change anything.
I really don't understand this perspective at all. Why in the world would you discourage bikers against watching their behavior???
Do you really think social influence has no positive impact when trying to change bad behavior???
Are you trolling again??? ;)

I have no data to back up that self policing works on a large scale, but I am 100% convinced that it does. I, for one, do not ride blatant off trail obstacles and always yield to hikers largely because of the people I ride with. When I was a newbie to regular MTB riding I broke rules and etiquite all that time because of a lack of understanding and respect. I don't do that anymore because it is the norm of the people I ride with to not be trail jerks and I have come to enjoy and respect that norm and try to spread that attitude around.

My coworker and I were talking recently about how some of the OHV areas around PHX are abused and trashed. He grew up in a very rural AZ area and thought nothing of shooting a saguaro with a shotgun to watch the ooze come out until a friend called him on it. Now he does not shoot cacti or leave junk in the desert when he shoots. Self policing/social influence worked for him too and there are a few saguaros alive because of it.

I am amazed that you think social influence is not effective. Social influence has HUGE impact on how we all behave. What "meaningful change" that does not come through trail user behavior change are you thinking of?

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
People really need to slow down on the fireroad for one. I do not understand why people feel the need to burn down that thing. I bet that could eliminate like 60% of conflicts right there.

Other than that, we all know the problems that we have with the summer. Like Bob said, I will probably be sticking with the Wednesday morning shuttles and just the early runs on Sundays until it warms up again and all the people leave the trails.

·
lurker extraordinaire
270 Posts
The actions of these park rangers gets under my skin a little. Most of the mountain bikers that I see out there are well aware of trail etiquette and go out of their way to adhere to it. Of course there are some jerks, but there are jerks everywhere, not just on bikes. The fact that two idiots on bikes caused some trouble certainly doesn't justify the park rangers stopping random mountain bikers, days after the incident, to reprimand them and make threats about limiting trail usage. I can understand the need for more of a presence by the park rangers at this time of year with the increased traffic (which that would exist with or without bikers), but the scornful attitude isn't warranted, imo. They're basically out there harassing mountain bikers simply for being on bikes. That's pretty lame as far as I'm concerned.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I'm with sixty on this one...How many times have we heard the same complaints (from both sides)? A little tactically applied shame can either cause someone to change their ways or dig in their heels and act worse. I don't think there's any simple solution to any of this.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
AZDesertRat said:
The actions of these park rangers gets under my skin a little. Most of the mountain bikers that I see out there are well aware of trail etiquette and go out of their way to adhere to it. Of course there are some jerks, but there are jerks everywhere, not just on bikes. The fact that two idiots on bikes caused some trouble certainly doesn't justify the park rangers stopping random mountain bikers, days after the incident, to reprimand them and make threats about limiting trail usage. I can understand the need for more of a presence by the park rangers at this time of year with the increased traffic (which that would exist with or without bikers), but the scornful attitude isn't warranted, imo. They're basically out there harassing mountain bikers simply for being on bikes. That's pretty lame as far as I'm concerned.
You are right, I felt very annoyed when the ranger started in on me for no reason, and really drove home the fact that "they", were after bikers and would not listen to my side of the story .

I could see there would be no reasoning with her at all.---( i wanted to really give her a peice of my mind , but I have learned this is not the way to get anything done )

I still had a great day , ( any day riding is a great day ) and I made alot of hikers happy by having nice conversation with them when passing .

There were alot of new hikers that will soon be gone when the weather changes , alot of this should go back to normal shortly if we all work at it and try to act correctly .

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.