Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Looking for a few suggestions on SoMo. I've done National coast-to-coast, Telegraph to DC, and Mormon (to 24th).

Heading up there tomorrow (Friday) AM to spend the better part of the day finding chunky trail to play on. Happy to do a lot of pedaling. Meeting an out-of-state friend known for pedaling / peddling Lenz bikes with lotsa travel.

Wondering about working in Holbert, Corona Loma, or other techy good'ns I haven't seen, combining that with all of National in one direction or the other. Climbing back up on the road is OK, if necessary.

Any suggestions, or anyone up for a long day on the mountain? Would love to see some of the B-lines out there...

Thanks.

G

·
Krein said:
Hey All,

Looking for a few suggestions on SoMo. I've done National coast-to-coast, Telegraph to DC, and Mormon (to 24th).

Heading up there tomorrow (Friday) AM to spend the better part of the day finding chunky trail to play on. Happy to do a lot of pedaling. Meeting an out-of-state friend known for pedaling / peddling Lenz bikes with lotsa travel.

Wondering about working in Holbert, Corona Loma, or other techy good'ns I haven't seen, combining that with all of National in one direction or the other. Climbing back up on the road is OK, if necessary.

Any suggestions, or anyone up for a long day on the mountain? Would love to see some of the B-lines out there...

Thanks.
Holbert is about as tech as it gets. That or head over to the other peak and hit up Alta. Geronimo?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
you like to ride big rides.....so......Start at either Pima or 46th.

up morman/nat to BV. (clime Java if you start at 46th). at BV continue up national until you get to Holbert. go down holbert. Climb road to BV. go down Geranimo take canal path to 24th. climb up that. then transition to National and go down to car.

that should fill your day.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sixsixtysix said:
Holbert is about as tech as it gets. That or head over to the other peak and hit up Alta. Geronimo?
What's the best direction on Alta -- West to East?

Thanks. Looks pretty reasonable to work in Holbert and Geronimo, per BrianC's suggestion.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
brianc said:
you like to ride big rides.....so......Start at either Pima or 46th.

up morman/nat to BV. (clime Java if you start at 46th). at BV continue up national until you get to Holbert. go down holbert. Climb road to BV. go down Geranimo take canal path to 24th. climb up that. then transition to National and go down to car.

that should fill your day.
You just described the perfect ride.
Hopefully sometime soon...

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Krein said:
What's the best direction on Alta -- West to East?

Thanks. Looks pretty reasonable to work in Holbert and Geronimo, per BrianC's suggestion.
Is Mikesee going to be in my backyard? I must work one last day in 2008 tomorrow or would definitely loby to join you. Sure you can't wait till Saturday or anytime over the next 2 weeks that I am on vacation?

Reading over the other suggestions gave me this idea for an incredible loop that will ttreat you to SoMo Gnar deluxe... I'm guessing it's maybe 27 miles or so. Not for the faint of heart or weak of limb:

Start at Pima Canyon/48th St parking lot - go up National to Buena Vista. Continue on National till it crosses the road to the towers, pick up Holbert. Holbert is an absolute blast on my 'Moth so the 6" variety should be even more fun... At the bottom of Holbert shoot across the pit to the Central Ave SoMo entrance and then pick up the trail that parallels road on the west side (can't recall name right now) to the Y-intersection with San Juan road (or just take the road). Here pick up Bajada to the Alta trail parking lot and then climb Alta (east to west is best direction by far). Take Alta to the San Juan parking lot and then take National to Bajada back to Y-intersection. Here you could just climb the road up to Buena Vista and then pick up National, or you could do trails all the way to the same point (lots of steep climbing/hike-a-bike). Then shoot back onto National and return to your starting point.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Reading over the other suggestions gave me this idea for an incredible loop that will ttreat you to SoMo Gnar deluxe... I'm guessing it's maybe 27 miles or so. Not for the faint of heart or weak of limb:

Start at Pima Canyon/48th St parking lot - go up National to Buena Vista. Continue on National till it crosses the road to the towers, pick up Holbert. Holbert is an absolute blast on my 'Moth so the 6" variety should be even more fun... At the bottom of Holbert shoot across the pit to the Central Ave SoMo entrance and then pick up the trail that parallels road on the west side (can't recall name right now) to the Y-intersection with San Juan road (or just take the road). Here pick up Bajada to the Alta trail parking lot and then climb Alta (east to west is best direction by far). Take Alta to the San Juan parking lot and then take National to Bajada back to Y-intersection. Here you could just climb the road up to Buena Vista and then pick up National, or you could do trails all the way to the same point (lots of steep climbing/hike-a-bike). Then shoot back onto National and return to your starting point.
This one sounds good too! :thumbsup:

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DurtGurl said:
Is Mikesee going to be in my backyard? I must work one last day in 2008 tomorrow or would definitely loby to join you. Sure you can't wait till Saturday or anytime over the next 2 weeks that I am on vacation?
Yep, Mr. see is heading south for a few days. Down to Tucson for the weekend, but there's some chance of another Phoenix ride early next week. Maybe Goat Camp? I'll post here when / if we know more.

Thanks for the route suggestion. I've got Dale's map and it sounds like linking Holbert and Alta, then back on National ought to punch our ticket. Looking forward to it -- been too long since my Behemoth has been out there.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
Krein said:
Hey All,

Thanks.
ok-
You want a long day with the best of the best?
Ride up National from Pima Canyon to the top of Mormon (24th Street)
Down 24th street
Over to the Boy Scout Camp to pick up Geronimo
Climb Geronimo to the Cochise intersection (just past the half-way point)
Drop Cochise back down to the Boy Scout Camp (great set of commit or pay switchbacks)
Climb Geronimo to BV
Ride National over to the top of Holbert
Drop Holbert
ride the trail (don't know the name) and road over and up to the bottom of Kiwanis
Climb Kiwanis up to Telegraph Pass (great technical climbing)
Climb the Catwalk (National) up past the towers, past BV, and to the pass
Climb up out of the pass up to the top of Viejo (some creatans call it Old Man's)
Drop Viejo down to DC and spin back

I've done all of this except the little extra loop to get Cochise and instead of dropping Viejo, I ripped back on National.

I can't think of another way to get as much good stuff as SoMo has to offer in one ride. Have fun, wish I could go but I'm a slave and can't break free from my shackles.

And give you the 411 on the B-lines online? I don't think so ;)

·
Dave
899 Posts
Krein said:
Any water refill spots, other than the South Mountain Environmental Education Center near the bottom of Holbert?

Thx.
There should be water at the Ramada near Pima Canyon Rd the one next to the port-a-potty:eek: There's also water at Desert Foothills parking lots which could be accessed via dropping down from telegraph pass (head south) to the west side of DC. Follow the sidewalk back to parking lot for water. About 3 minutes of riding.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Great loop, but instead of climbing the road to National, pick up Ranger from Bajada and climb up Ranger to National and the take Natinal all the way back. Here's a map showing the route in Blue. 30 miles and 5800 feet of climbing. Perfect long tech ride for a young whipper snapper like Chris :eekster: .

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=4

DurtGurl said:

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Epicrider said:
Great loop, but instead of climbing the road to National, pick up Ranger from Bajada and climb up Ranger to National and the take Natinal all the way back. Here's a map showing the route in Blue. 30 miles and 5800 feet of climbing. Perfect long tech ride for a young whipper snapper like Chris :eekster: .

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=4
So what day are we doing this ride? I need a few rides to get back in shape first so I suggest between Christmas and New Year's. NM Joe and Robert will be visiging AZ and riding our trails Dec 28-29-30th - I think we need to take them on this ride on one of those days. Perhaps Sunday Dec 28th so that all you poor slobs stuck in jobs during the week can join the epic ride????? Let's set a date!

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for the suggestions, folks. We ended up doing pretty close to what DurtGurl described and it was a great day on the mountain. It got a little epic due to our retrying / sessioning early on National, plus missing the Holbert turn off.

Some pics and a couple vids here:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2008/12/23/mc-techfest-day-1/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.