Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to give SoMo a try today and drove over to Pima Canyon to ride DC... :eek: :eek:

I must be spoiled riding the McDowells because I did about 6 miles and turned around .. Way too many people on one trial for me ... I may have to go back during the week soon though.

I did get the opportunity to flop over in front of a group of hikers because I could not get my left foot unclipped :p :p

and then I tossed my Camelbak on the back seat of my truck in just the right position to have all the weight on the bite tip and allow it to drain 100 oz of water all over my seat during the drive back to Lost Dog. :madman:

:skep:

·
No Clue Crew
7,706 Posts
LOL. I can't imagine what it must be like out there on weekends. Even when I ride at off times on weekdays I see more people in half an hour than I see on an entire ride at PMP.
d

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
I was out there this afternoon with a big-ish tour group (10 riders + 2 guides). It's pretty crazy out there this time of year. The tour groups don't help matters, granted, but there were also just a mess of lycra-clad racers, and total noobs without helmets, and couples on rentals, and every other demographic-that-isn't-me.

In more amusing news, I had some punk kid flip me off as he sloooowly drove by our staging area, scowling the whole way. Color me very, very intimidated.

p.

·
Registered
500 Posts
come on over to the other side

Day after Thanksgiving I rode National C2C. West of Buena Vista LO, with the exception of Telegraph pass area +/- 1mi, was wide open. East of Buena Vista I saw more people on the trail than I do in a year in the Sierra Vista/Bisbee area trails.
I don't live in PHX any more but if I did and Somo was my regular spot I'd roll it from the West end and enjoy the relative solitude, especially on the weekends.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
Yep, the East end is just insanely crowded these days. Last weekend we started out off of 19th Ave we rode over to Kiwanis, took Kiwanis up to National, National over to Ranger and back down. We saw a few people on Kiwanis and a bunch of hikers on the first climb on National. Once you pass the overlook on National it's almost entirely empty.

·
Registered
231 Posts
trb2929 said:
I've got two plans depending on how I feel. One is an up and back. Second is 46th lot, road over to PC. Fire road up and down Javelina.
Don't bother with the pavement, just take beverly canyon to the west loop ridge to fire road.

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Blatant said:
LOL. I can't imagine what it must be like out there on weekends. Even when I ride at off times on weekdays I see more people in half an hour than I see on an entire ride at PMP.
d
I love PMP. I ride it almost daily during my lunch "hour" and every other weekend. During the week it's practically deserted. On the weekends it's pretty packed but once you get a mile or two from a trailhead the hikers really thin out.

Do you ride out there weekends or during the weekday?

·
Registered
238 Posts
My running group actually ran DC on Saturday afternoon, so you may have encountered them. I tried to discourage them knowing how many mountain bikers would be out there on the weekend... but they're training for a big race so they are itching to do many different courses. Sorry about that.

I do agree with idaz... the western half of DC is usually barren, even on weekends. Once you get past the water tower, there are fewer riders and no hikers/runners.

·
No Clue Crew
7,706 Posts
hfy108 said:
I love PMP. I ride it almost daily during my lunch "hour" and every other weekend. During the week it's practically deserted. On the weekends it's pretty packed but once you get a mile or two from a trailhead the hikers really thin out.

Do you ride out there weekends or during the weekday?
Weekdays at various times.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
This is about the time of year I start riding the road bike again until the temp forces people off the trails. Now that I have been exploring the west side though, I might start hanging out there. There is NO ONE out on Alta and Bajada except for some crazy religious cultists from time to time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.