Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loop around South Mountain.

Pima Canyon - Mormon - National - Holbert - Los Lomitas - Ranger - Bajada - National then off trail to some ruins of houses and then on unmarked trail following the far South West end of the mountain which will connect with the wash just below the "ruins" - ruins trail to Desert Foothills Parkway to Telegraph TH and then back to Pima on Desert Classic.

Other than the road section it is a complete ride of the south side from one end of the mountain to the other!

This Sunday Jan 11 - 9:00am FIP North Ramada.

Roughly 35 miles. Should be a great ride and some tech with fun exploration of the west end of the mountain.

Anybody welcome, but due to distance and tech descent on Holbert, mostly for experienced riders. Bail out after Ranger, you can walk Telegraph and home on Classic or take road to BV. Water at Telegraph Trailhead on way back.

SS friendly, as long as everyone doesnt mind waiting for me to walk parts of Holbert!!

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
What a great test for some new parts that I got. 180mm cranks and a 22t should be quite a change from 175mm 33x20.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cesslinger said:
What a great test for some new parts that I got. 180mm cranks and a 22t should be quite a change from 175mm 33x20.
Nice. I have 32x20 on 180's. But I think your 22t will definetly come in handy on the more tech stuff. Interesting to see how much more spin you will get.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dtownmtb said:
I'm considering this. Can you give some directions to the start point?
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=P...e=33.36325&longitude=-111.9827&geocode=STREET

East Pima Canyon Road. Off of 48th St between Elliott and Guadalope. Elliott Road being nearest freeway exit.

Pima Canyon Road leads to Pima TH where there are two covered ramadas. We will be meeting at the North one. Parking is pretty busy on Sats so plan on getting there early. Or you can meet at my house. I live close to Elliott and 48th and takes 6mins to the TH from there. PM if you want my address!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DurtGurl said:
Darn it... work duties are likely going to keep me off the bike this weekend. It's rare that I have to work on weekends so I shouldn't complain, but I was really looking forward to this ride!!
Thats not good. Im off to work now to get it out of the way. Hopefully it changes because I was looking forward to riding with you.

Brit.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
BritMtnBiker said:
Thats not good. Im off to work now to get it out of the way. Hopefully it changes because I was looking forward to riding with you.

Brit.
It's 8PM and I'm still at work :( Tomorrow will be another long day in the lab so I guess we'll meet up some other time. Have a great ride. I might try to do a quick DC spin around 8 or so - maybe I'll be lucky and see Kort rolling to the ride start.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RIfreeDE said:
I was thinking we should add Alta after National on the West end. National connects to Alta as San Juan, the end of National. Thoughts?
Kort mentioned that as well, and I nearly went that way last week when I was doing the loop the opposite way. But heard that it was not very SS friendly from East to West. Lets see how time is when we get done with Holbert and can make decision at the Bajada Alta split. Plus I told the wife I would be home by 3 to help make dinner for some friends that are coming over. But could be a little late!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Long day today!

I left the house at 8:45am and got back at 4:30pm!

Did the whole loop. Around 33 miles.

Hope that Chuck and Kort made it home safely on the road.

Great ride apart from the climb up the horse path that was a little tough after a long day in the saddle. Im glad I didnt die on Holbert. Thanks to Kort for showing us the way.

Glad to have met the Black Sheep boys, fun to have a pack of SS's heading up National.

Couple of beers and half bottle of red and some lasagna and I am done for the night!!

Will post up some pics later!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Good to meet you Jonathon. Having a SS only group is always fun. Hope you guys didn't suffer too badly after we left!
Jon

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
azjonboy said:
Good to meet you Jonathon. Having a SS only group is always fun. Hope you guys didn't suffer too badly after we left!
Jon
The worst was a few parts of Bajada, we just never were able to get a good flow going. But the climb up from the first set of ruins at end of mountain was not fun. The first part was gradual climb on a two track that was ok. But once the horse trail started it was so loose and narrow and grade was sufficient to not being very SS friendly. We walked on and off for about 20 mins, but after that we were able to move well, until Kort and I got seperated from Chuck and we spent 30 minutes looking for him. We finally were able to get him on the phone and he had gone down a dirt track to the golf course at end of Chandler were we stayed on the ruins trail. I was worried he was lost so we backtracked alot and made sure he was ok. I went down the two track and saw a hiker if he had seen a biker and he said no, but somehow he must have missed us in the wash. Plus on flat added a little time.

But we had fun and I was in big trouble with my wife when I got home slightly later than planned!! I think after the Pemberton story she is even more paranoid when I go out on long rides!!

Lets try and put some more SS rides togther!

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
I apologize for my terrible navigation through the wash. I ended up on Pecos and Central when I hit pavement!!!

The ride home on Chandler was very slow, which was fine because I was pooped.

Otherwise, the trip was tough but I loved every minute of it, minus the walking parts. When I got home I ate an entire Boston Market family feast by myself. A whole chicken, 3 sides, and 3 pieces of corn bread never tasted better!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.