Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
mtb enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker of mine lives near SoMo and is interested in mountain biking. She's real 'green' to the sport but hears me rave and is peripherally interested in the sport now. I want to know what trails in and around SoMo she should try first, as I don't want her to get overwhelmed, hurt, or discouraged. Furthermore, can anyone recommend a good lbs around that area that she can go to? Maybe give some suggestions too about a decent starter woman's MTB in the $1000 - $2000 range? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Desert Classic is considered beginner. But keep in mind, it's still AZ. I'd recommend Papago for a pure beginner, but DC is probably the easiest trail in SM.

As for LBS, check out Javelina Cycles. They used to be on Chandler Rd, but I believe they are moving. They recently became a Giant dealer.

·
mtb enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Desert Classic is considered beginner. But keep in mind, it's still AZ. I'd recommend Papago for a pure beginner, but DC is probably the easiest trail in SM.

As for LBS, check out Javelina Cycles. They used to be on Chandler Rd, but I believe their are moving. They recently became a Giant dealer.
Great advice, thx. Looked at West Park Loop Trail at Papago and its described as a beginner MTB loop. I'll also have her check out Javelina.

·
No Clue Crew
7,032 Posts
I've had good experiences at SMC down in 'Tukee on Ray Road.

If she's truly a beginner, not sure anything at South Mountain is appropriate, but I guess Desert Classic is the most "beginner" trail.

·
Registered
837 Posts
even though the trails you take her on will be "beginner", Have her wear knee and elbow protection along with her gloves and helmet. Falling on a first ride, :eekster: and wearing scabs and scars from that, can scare off a rider before they will give dirt cycling an honest chance...

·
mtb enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All great suggestions people. SoMo may be a little too much, at first. What would you think about Pemberton main possibly for a beginner? Also, should she consider a 29er for a first MTB?

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
There's a really beginner section of trail off of San Gabriel in tukee. There's a real flat section with lots of trails That you can twist up and hook up with desert classic. Warpaint is another good spot to start. I g
highly recommend Javelina bikes. Great guys over there:)

·
Registered
366 Posts
She's real 'green' to the sport but hears me rave and is peripherally interested in the sport now.
As stated earlier, PADDING. Or she will be on to the treadmill the first time she spills. Elbow, knee, and a girdle. This is as important as trail selection for the first dozen rides or more.

No clips until she has a fire in her belly for it. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's a really beginner section of trail off of San Gabriel in tukee. There's a real flat section with lots of trails That you can twist up and hook up with desert classic. Warpaint is another good spot to start. I g
highly recommend Javelina bikes. Great guys over there:)
That's what I was going to say. Park at the elementary school and ride around in this area (circle) for a while. Slowly work up to Desert Classic, then ride around the base of the water tank area for a while, and so on.

I've been doing something similar with a friend of mine and you really have to start slow. She's an experienced road cyclist, but mountain biking is a whole new can of worms. Pemberton, Desert Classic, and even PMP in my opinion are too much at first. You need to start on flat, smooth dirt. If you scare her, or she spends the whole ride pushing her bike over rocks, she is not going to be interested in trying it again. Trust me. It's like when a girl takes a guy dancing.

And SMC (South Mountain Cycles) off Ray Rd is awesome.

Attachments

·
Huffy Rider
1,399 Posts
Personally, I would say no to a 29r, as a female. I test rode one and they just didn't work for me and the type of terrain I ride. It takes more umf to get the momentum thing to work for you, I felt it was working against me. I am not all that strong on uphills and getting those big heavy wheels to turn was difficult for me. JMHO.

Brenda

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
All great suggestions people. SoMo may be a little too much, at first. What would you think about Pemberton main possibly for a beginner? Also, should she consider a 29er for a first MTB?
Pemberton is perfect for a beginner.

What I always tell those looking to get into mt biking, start off with a hard tail. HTs require the rider learn handling skills they might not get with a more forgiving full suspension. In regards to wheel size, I'm not really sure. I ride both, and I personally feel 29-inch tires are great, as the roll over all kinds of stuff. However, I've been riding for 10 years, so part of that might be that I'm not considered a beginner.

·
Registered
931 Posts
For 1-2k you could get a great full suspension 26 on Ebay. I heard the argument for a hard tail and it is valid, but the contra point would be the full squish would be a much more enjoyable ride IMHO.

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
First thought that came to me when you mentioned "beginner" is Pemberton as others have mentioned. This is a perfect trail to get your feet wet on. Maybe just a couple spots she'll have to get off and walk a short distance but nothing that is discouraging. The scenery is great too. This is where many a peeps get their first taste.

·
mtb enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You all are great and thanks for the responses. Lots of good info here. Kudos to the AZ MTBR crowd.

·
Registered
179 Posts
didn't cactus rent bikes?
but are they still down in tukee?
maybe find some shops so she can try a couple of each, hard tail, full sus, 26 and 29er.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Me and my son are Noobs also. so finding all these forum threads helpful. We just did San Tan regional park last sunday, thinking Hawes this sunday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts