Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
rebmem rbtm
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone out there know of a website that i can hit up to learn some basic skills for street riding? im trying to get into this whole "urban" ( :madman: i hate saying that word) thing. so far i barely got a bunnyhop down, i do have it enough though to huck small stairs not much else though. thanx alot for any help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
does anyone out there know of a website that i can hit up to learn some basic skills for street riding? im trying to get into this whole "urban" ( :madman: i hate saying that word) thing. so far i barely got a bunnyhop down, i do have it enough though to huck small stairs not much else though. thanx alot for any help
get used to the word urban, because urban riding is called urban riding becasue it is in a urban center, man i love the word urban...sorry

anyway nobody flame me for this and i know its wrong but get limewire or bit commit and download dave mirra trick tips vol. 1...i know you shouldnt but i cant find it anywhere else and it is the best instuctional video i could find

although it is based for bmx and park riding it teaches bunny hop, manual, bunny hop 180, 360 bunnyhop, airing table tops, bar spins, quarter pipe airing...which can all be used with an mtb (except bar spins...stick to x ups)...anyway i cant find this anywhere else and it is the most helpful video a beginner could watch

have fun and dont do big drops to flat...keep them under 5 feet or you will seriously wreck yoursel and your bike
 

·
rebmem rbtm
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx dude, i dont mind downloading anything myself. i just wouldnt encourage as you did. LOL.. and i did kinda wreck my bike (and my ankle) on a 6 foot drop, late warning.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
thanx dude, i dont mind downloading anything myself. i just wouldnt encourage as you did. LOL.. and i did kinda wreck my bike (and my ankle) on a 6 foot drop, late warning.....
ya , you get flamed pretty hard here for the dl but if i down load a mtb movie and i like it i will go and buy it for the better quality and to support the makers...but if they did a bad job i wont buy it, i will just watch it again and again on my computer:thumbsup:

and i do plenty of drops to flat and it is hard on your components...if your are just starting urban then i wouldnt recomend large ones, at least not untill you become a smoother rider
 

·
rebmem rbtm
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not smooth what so ever and i just tried that drop cuz i saw one of my friends do it on his downhill bike and it looked easy. so i did it, wiped out (kinda) my fork bottomed out (zocchi x fly 80 mm) i bent my cranks (shimano xt) and messed up my seat (fizik dalimonte <think thats how to spell it) and my feet came off my cranks as they bent and i basically landed on my heel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
im not smooth what so ever and i just tried that drop cuz i saw one of my friends do it on his downhill bike and it looked easy. so i did it, wiped out (kinda) my fork bottomed out (zocchi x fly 80 mm) i bent my cranks (shimano xt) and messed up my seat (fizik dalimonte <think thats how to spell it) and my feet came off my cranks as they bent and i basically landed on my heel.
haha, you tried 6 ft with 80mm...try landing rear wheel first with your weight back over your seat...keep your hands loose and when you hit the ground pivot backwards untill your ass almost touches the rear wheel...this will take atol of the force out of your cranks and fork...but you should get a strong rear rim for any type of urban riding
 

·
rebmem rbtm
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i ride rhino lites on ringle hubs, they havent been out of true since ive owned my bike. and i have a back up pair off of my old diamondback. should i get a bigger fork for drops and stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
i ride rhino lites on ringle hubs, they havent been out of true since ive owned my bike. and i have a back up pair off of my old diamondback. should i get a bigger fork for drops and stuff?
it all depends on head tube angle...if your bike is already raked out then you dont want to get a bigger fork as it will sheer your head tube off (haha ech)...you want to find a happy medium where your bike isnt super raked out and not super steep, but have enough travel to do what your doing

i know im building up a urban/park/dj hard tail and i will probably have between 70-100 mm travel (probably marz. tuned z-1) and it will suit me perfectly with the frame it is going on, you just gotta work on fluididty and smoothness (yes i can make up words)...bmxing helps, take a bmx to a park and ride the hell out of it all day and you will learn to be smooth as there is no suspension at all on one.
 

·
rebmem rbtm
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did that when i busted my previous crank (about 3 weeks ago) bmx riding is so much more fun becasue everything u do feels big. and about the fork, i have a surly instigator and the surly page suggests that i use between 80-130 mm forkso am i safe to only 130 or is 130 where it starts to feel funny or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
eww...bent top tube

but you could probably go to 150 on that...with the stock fork it looks incredibly steep, almost an xc ht but get a low rise stem (around 30 mm) and put a larger fork on if you would like to...if you are riding the stock fork you can go alot bigger and might want to look into a marz. drop of triples or something like that. the largest i would go on that is 160 mm but i am no expert so you might want to ask someboy who is...that frmae is deffinatly not made for urban but im sure if you take it easy it would hold up
 

·
rebmem rbtm
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im definitely not on a stock fork (u mean that rigid thing?) i was looking at getting a juinor T 150mm and throwing a 24 inch rim in the front to cancel out the extra travel, so it feels like my old fork with the head tube angleand has a lot more travel underneath me. (this was a while ago though, i could bring the idea back to life_
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
im definitely not on a stock fork (u mean that rigid thing?) i was looking at getting a juinor T 150mm and throwing a 24 inch rim in the front to cancel out the extra travel, so it feels like my old fork with the head tube angleand has a lot more travel underneath me. (this was a while ago though, i could bring the idea back to life_
no...stay single crown

and i thought it came with a small travel fork:skep:
 

·
rebmem rbtm
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope it comes with a completely solid suspension corrected fork. lol (its not solid feels like it to me though) so if i did the same thing with the z1 single crown would that work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
nope it comes with a completely solid suspension corrected fork. lol (its not solid feels like it to me though) so if i did the same thing with the z1 single crown would that work?
if you get the z1 you will get no more travel....if you get drop off triples you will get more travel....if its more travel you want then get the triples, if not get hte z1 or keep your fork
 

·
rebmem rbtm
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my current fork is 5 years old needing a serious rebuild and really flexy. bounce on the back wheel with me off of it and it moves maybe 2-3 inches up and down with everything tight. not to mention theyre not exactly holding any air anymore, every 2 hours of riding its "pump it up" time, so i think i need a new one. ill just throw this guy on my diamondback or maybe sell it who knows! and what did u mean by "if you get the z1 you will get no more travel" i though the z.1 freerides were 150 mm of travel? is that not more than 80?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...Accessories/2005-Marzocchi-Z.1-Freeride-3.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
my current fork is 5 years old needing a serious rebuild and really flexy. bounce on the back wheel with me off of it and it moves maybe 2-3 inches up and down with everything tight. not to mention theyre not exactly holding any air anymore, every 2 hours of riding its "pump it up" time, so i think i need a new one. ill just throw this guy on my diamondback or maybe sell it who knows! and what did u mean by "if you get the z1 you will get no more travel" i though the z.1 freerides were 150 mm of travel? is that not more than 80?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...Accessories/2005-Marzocchi-Z.1-Freeride-3.htm
ya the fork i was talking about was the tuned version of the z.1 i havent really looked into the other versions of it...if you get 150mm of travel i dont think you will be dissapointed but like i said talk to your lbs...i haent looked into any other versions of the z.1 so i couldnt tell you the quality or anything, look at some reviews here on mtbr and see what people who have the fork have to sat about it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
thanks for the help (was it help?? lol), i hope to find a good deal on a fork or maybe a new bike in general. thanks again :thumbsup:
haha if you dl the video...it was help, anyway ride hard and ride smooth...have fun and post some pics of your bike when you slap a new fork on there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Instigator said:
that fork ist gonna be on there till i raise someserious cash i have 23 dollars so far so u do the math.....maybe october? January at latest? i need a job and money
you sound like me when i started....its soo easy to find a job now a days...if you get a job you could have a fork in a month...easy
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top