1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
100 years earlier.

mergs said:
for some reason that bridge reminded me of Stand by Me
Yes, it does. However, Stand By Me was in the 1950's and the trains were still operating on that track. I believe the last train on this track was in 1867. That bridge is very old. It's a testament to how well wooden structures were engineered back then.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
daddy2 said:
Looks like a nice place to ride. How do you like your One9?
What we lack in hills down here, we make up in scenery and mileage.

{FAWNING MODE ON]
Love the bike. I have a few bikes, but this one became my immediate favorite. It rides smooth like a full suspension, handles as well as my race bike, is light as a feather, fast (even for a singlespeed), and it's so pretty.

The folks at Niner are great too. I talked with the owner for almost 20 minutes about sizing. It's hard to find a 29er for vertically challenged people and this one fits perfectly.
{FAWNING MODE OFF}

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
thanks...

Very nice for N.J. I especially love seeing pics from out West. I don't want to be a hater, but I'm really jealous.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the Niner.. I just rec'd delivery of one in Hot tamale. Great color. It's just sitting patiently until I gather the parts needed for the build. It's going to be a nice winter project. :D

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See the world!

daddy2 said:
Very nice for N.J. I especially love seeing pics from out West. I don't want to be a hater, but I'm really jealous.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the Niner.. I just rec'd delivery of one in Hot tamale. Great color. It's just sitting patiently until I gather the parts needed for the build. It's going to be a nice winter project. :D
I get to travel occassionally for work (actually, I pick the places that will be good for riding). I ship my bike out wherever I am going. It's great to sample other places and it really helps me to learn how to ride better (climbing, technical, etc.). Plus, I get to meet and ride with a lot of great people I talk with on the Internet.

You are going to love the bike. I couldn't wait to build mine up. In fact, I had all the parts waiting for the frame to arrive.

Where do you ride? What gearing are you going with? I am at 34/17.

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
The only traveling I'm seeing is the bus ride into Manhattan every stinking day. :( I usually ride all North Jersey favorites, plus the occasional Hartshorne. My family takes up most of my free time so I rarely get out. I have a 2 and 4 year old plus another coming in May so it will be very interesting if and when I will be able to ride. I may get the double pull trailer for the boys and get my exercise on park paths. I've borrowed one and they seem to like being toted around.
34x17. maybe on flat concrete for me..
Gearing?? hummm "scratching head".. I'm a slow climber on a 35lbs FS so I was thinking about starting on 32x22 and see how that goes. I've ridden 32x18 on a 26" so a 20 on the 29er will be my goal.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
daddy2 said:
The only traveling I'm seeing is the bus ride into Manhattan every stinking day. :( I usually ride all North Jersey favorites, plus the occasional Hartshorne. My family takes up most of my free time so I rarely get out. I have a 2 and 4 year old plus another coming in May so it will be very interesting if and when I will be able to ride. I may get the double pull trailer for the boys and get my exercise on park paths. I've borrowed one and they seem to like being toted around.
34x17. maybe on flat concrete for me..
Gearing?? hummm "scratching head".. I'm a slow climber on a 35lbs FS so I was thinking about starting on 32x22 and see how that goes. I've ridden 32x18 on a 26" so a 20 on the 29er will be my goal.
My kids are a bit older (6 and 12), but they don't bike at all and I can't force them to. I make time for family and biking. If I didn't I'd go crazy. My kids always liked the seat attached the bike. From 8 months to two years it was hours of quiet and exercise at the same time.

My first SS was 34/16, and I was too lazy to make it easier. I had to learn how to deal with it and now I can climb 99% of what's around here, southeastern pa, DE, and northeast MD without getting off the bike. It hurts, but it's pleasurable pain and the downhills are more fun although I still spin like a hamster. I'm thinking about riding rainfest, uh I mean 24h of moochey on the SS next year (if they keep the same course layout).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is that the new trail in the Pine Barrens? Haven't been out there yet, I think one loop is 16 mi & there's a smaller loop around 5 or 6...

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's Parkdale

kramonut said:
Is that the new trail in the Pine Barrens? Haven't been out there yet, I think one loop is 16 mi & there's a smaller loop around 5 or 6...
Where the tracks are, no. It's always been there, just have to find it. The other singletrack is some existing deer path, and some old fire cut. There are really no "new" trails, just newly connected existing fire cuts. Plenty to explore, just don't get lost or the Jersey Devil may getcha or worse an in-bred Piney. Bring a compass and head west when in doubt. It will always bring you back to 206.

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
428 Posts
New trail in the pines???

kramonut said:
Any more info on this new trail in the pines would be appreciated. I didn't hear anything about this.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tour Guide Services Available :D

Wobbegong said:
Thanks for the links. Looks like a day trip is in order!
Let me know when you'll be down and I'll see if I can show you around. I can play tour guide and give you lots of useless info on the area. Well, I find it interesting. In the warmer months, it's great to go kayaking on the three rivers that run through there.

·
Slowpoke
234 Posts
Sweet pics

Last time I saw that kind of terrain was from a canoe rented from Micks somewhere down there in the pines. :)

·
Slowpoke
234 Posts
It was years ago but if I remember right it was the Wading River, and we had a great time. We even stopped at a few of the bridges to jump off and do some swimming. You're lucky to be able to ride there, great scenery!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts