Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like 27.5 xc and trail bikes are rapidly being phased out in favor of 29ers ...

Most shops around where I live don't even carry them anymore and only stock 27.5 enduro/am or DH bikes. Would anything in this category be worth considering over an Ibis Mojo 3?

Seems the industry has really gone balls deep for 29ers, but the few I've ridden haven't convinced me... Sure they roll over stuff more easily and maintain speed more efficiently... but they certainly feel more sluggish, less agile and less poppy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Or wait for the Mojo 4, maybe still a 27.5 and hopefully soon to be released.

·
Old enough to remember ..
34 Posts
I just got my new deVinci Stellar Acera, yep it is a 27.5; rides very, very nicely.
Of course I don't do the far out "stuff" just what I call regular trails. For that and time trialing on our RailTrail it is the "cat's meow".

http://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_1267_scategory_291

And I really like that Rusty Raw colour, besides I had no intention to pay more than Can$1000.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I have a "brunch ride" Yeti SB5 that is built up with a 160 fork that really is sweet. It's a build well suited to the Wasatch/Moab area, at least and will easily take 2.6" tires. Similar to the 5010. My wife is on the SB5 turq but with a 150 fork and she loves that.

But, I think I've only ridden it twice since I built up a Giant Trance 29, so the "sluggish, less agile, less poppy" analysis is pretty far off the mark these days!

If you have to have a 27.5, I'd consider a Bronson as well. It depends on how, what and where you ride and what you need in a bike, of course.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Knolly Endorphin fits the description and is on a killer sale price at the moment!
https://www.knollybikes.com/endorphin

The geo is still pretty modern, given that it is a 2015 design, the STA might be a degree or two slacker than the current trend but IMO this isn't an issue with shorter travel bikes, might even be a good thing. I've found mine to be a great mix of fun and playful on the more mellow stuff while still being reasonably composed on the steeper or more gnarly stuff.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I've never ridden them but was going to suggest Knolly or Evil as well.

I can confirm that the 5010 and older Yeti SB5 bikes are excellent all conditions bikes. I don't know how it compares but that new Transition Scout looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
111 Posts

I can confirm that the 5010 and older Yeti SB5 bikes are excellent all conditions bikes. I don't know how it compares but that new Transition Scout looks pretty cool.
Another vote for the 5010 (I ride one, everywhere, in the PNW). The Transition Scout also looks nice (the current/new Scout was not available when I was shopping a year ago, or I would have demo'd it also). The Scout does look more burly and DH capable (hence the Code brakes verse Guide/G2 most trail bikes have). Good luck!

·
Registered
5,127 Posts

Oh yeah, I guess the closest to an SB5 in Yeti flavor now is the SB140.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can get a very good deal on a Trance Advanced 1 27.5 2019.

Is that still going to be quick / efficient enough on the long climbs and flatter flowy sections?

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
What exactly are you looking for? Do you what a bike for long rides with lots of climbing and desending? A longer travel XC bike?
The reason I ask this is that a lot of bikes, even full on enduro bikes are capable of being all around bikes. Personally, I ride a 170mm fr, 160mm rr enduro bike, which I bought primarily for bike parks and some trail riding, but this bike does so wheel climbing, despite its near 30lb weight, that I use it a lot on big, long (30+ miles, 4000'+ climbing) rides.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Do you what a bike for long rides with lots of climbing and desending? A longer travel XC bike?"

Yup, pretty much. I also ride around town a fair bit with it to but mostly riding up n down techy XC trails, long rides... Occasionally I take my bike across the ferry which involves riding on rolling rural roads to access mountain bike trails.

So I do want something more fun and capable, but something that wont feel bogged down and sluggish on the long distance riding and climbs.

a new carbon trance 27.5 you think would cut it? I can get one for about half the price of some of the other bikes I've been considering.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I would suggest a Santa Cruz 5010. The 5010 could be build up as a lightweight enduro bike or a longer travel XC bike. With proper components selection, you can have a 5010 in the 25lb range.
While I love my main bike, Turner RFX, it wouldn't be suitable for anything other than the type of riding that I have, long climbs, long descents, bike parks, rocky singletrack, etc. If I lived in an area that was flatter I definitely would ride something different.

As far as the Giant is concerned, I've never ridden a Trance but heard they do really well.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I don't know what semi progressive is or what your budget is, but Pivot is still knocking out 27.5 bikes with the Mach 5.5 and Mach 6. I think they still offer the Mach 6 in aluminum if you are looking at a bit cheaper bike. I can only speak from my experience but I really like my Mach 5.5. You can even run the switchblade with 27.5 wheels.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts