Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought a 2008 mongoose blackcomb last year from the axis of evil, aka walmart. :p I am not by any means a hardcore MTB'er yet, but am interested in picking it up and getting more serious with time. I purchased this bike more or less out of a LACK of commitment. I want to make sure I like this before I jump into the deep end and fork over 2-grand on a real mountain bike. The blackcomb is just a trasher bike for now.

I am well aware of everyones bitter distaste towards box store bikes. I am not disagreeing with you but ask that you give me some realistic expectations. My body is 5'11, 155 lbs. So I'm not too heavy. What kind of trails can I tackle with this? Maximum height on jumps etc?

I have ridden the bike around the street, dropped it off curbs etc... easy stuff, just to see how the bike responds. It feels solid and not sketchy. I then went on some local FS road's in my area at about 15 mph hitting some moderate rocks and getting maybe about a foot or two of air. Still held up just fine. I checked everything afterwards... welds, frame, bottom bracket, seat post, chainstays etc for damage/bending. Nothing. I checked the rims for bending... nothing, still true.

What would you say a realistic limit to this bike would be? Im afraid to take it any faster than what I have been doing out of gut feeling.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a Wallybike for years and I rode it HARD. It did fine. I wouldn't try taking it to a terrain park of anything. Singletrack w/ some friends would be your best bet.
I wouldn't try tackling anything beyond your skill level no matter what bike you have under you.
Try putting some better tires on it if you have the dough. It will improve your ride greatly. Maybe a new seat. The stock seats on them are junk. I had a Bell on mine. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yea just go ride it. I started out riding a walmart bike, a Mongoose Snare, I too didn't want to spend the money on a bike till I was sure I wanted to get serious about riding. I put a few hundred miles of singletrack on that bike, I never did any big jumps on it but just your "basic" trail riding. the only problems I ever had with that bike was the brakes seemed to always need to be "adjusted". then when I figured that I wanted to keep riding and it was time to get a "real" bike I sold it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah be glad you have a bike; and go out and enjoy the fresh air.

Don't let anyone try to convince you to buy really expesive components to make it a better bike. It is what it is. And no $700 Crankset will change that. Save your money for when you feel like your skills have improved enough to where you need a better bike.
Those improvements I mentioned earlier will only improve the feel of your ride. Not make it a better bike.
Welcome to Mountain Biking:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
don't get hurt on that bike now tho..

btw did you see any stickers on that bike that said not intended for off road use? i think that includes any type of trail riding. If the manufacturer of the bike suggests not doing it, i wouldn't do it!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Drakken_11 said:
I had a Wallybike for years and I rode it HARD. It did fine. I wouldn't try taking it to a terrain park of anything. Singletrack w/ some friends would be your best bet.
I wouldn't try tackling anything beyond your skill level no matter what bike you have under you.
Try putting some better tires on it if you have the dough. It will improve your ride greatly. Maybe a new seat. The stock seats on them are junk. I had a Bell on mine. Nothing fancy.
This is sound advice, and is exactly what I am doing with my DS Schwinn. Add some good tires and a seat and ride the heck out of it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yah know I never understood that. Why make a bike that looks as if it is designed for off road, and then put a sticker on it saying the exact opposite??? Why make a full sus. bike that can't do more than the city sidewalk?? I believe my old Wallybike may have had one of those stickers but I ignored it and took that b*tch off along w/ the other warnings.
I believe it all boils down to liability. They know that one day it will break. And some bumbAss kid is going to take it out and try to pull off a Superman or something and get killed. CYB (cover your butt)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, you guys are awesome :thumbsup:

im getting a general vibe that I should stick with the easy stuff for now lol. fair enough...

ive been eying the new kona dawg deluxe for awhile, and im thinking she will be the one i'll be getting eventually. anything to look out for with the dawg?

p.s. i didnt notice any sticker saying i couldn't take it off road...ill try and find the manual... thats pretty hilarious :shocked:

·
Registered
94 Posts
That sticker can normally be found on the Top Tube; near the handle bars. I'll check my GF's bike and see if it has one. If it does I'll take a pic of it and post it.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I wouldn't take it off of anything I wouldn't call a small drop or jump. Again, use your head, be safe and remember that bike has pieces on it that may not be so durable. You seem to understand the appeal of more expensive bikes, which is good. I would just add on that the temptation is there to want to upgrade your bike; but just put enough money into it to keep it riding until you can afford an upgraded bike. Have fun!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Huh, never seen one quite like that one. But, of course I never read them. I peel them off then grab the GOOF OFF.
I wonder what they would define "Leisure Cross Country" as?? Did it come with a DVD of examples??? I think they mean something akin to the park where mothers push there stollers around to work off the baby fat. Do you really need suspension forks for that??? No, i don't think so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the sticker but it doesnt mention anything about not using it as a mountain bike... I took a picture (sorry its fuzzy, took it with an iphone)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmmm. Ok. I can't tell from the pic, but make sure that the Hanger for the Rear Derailer is replacable. You should be able to tell because it will be a different color than the frame. If it is not I would be very careful. I had a Mongoose XR-500 that didn't have a replacable hanger and this summer it picked up a stick and broke the frame. Unrepairable. My frame is now trash.
The pedals look decent. Good thing they are not plastic.
Take off that CheapAss kick stand.
Keep and eye on the Crankset. the teeth might get bent or broken if you dig them into a fallen log on a trail.
If you want to save on a little weight you can cut some of that seatpost off. or buy a new one. Just make sure if you cut it you have at least 88mm of post in the seat tube. I wold suggest upgrading it. You can get a TITEC Hellbent made of 7075 Aluminum for about $20 at Cambria Bike.
The handlebar grips look like they wouldn't give you much to hold onto. Upgrade. You can get some for around $10 at a bike store.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drakken, thanks for the suggestions, i appreciate it.

Yep, thats the beast above, lol

Per your suggestion Drak I took off the kickstand and all of the reflectors on the rims. The stock tires that come with the bike look decent enough... i dont know how they'll hold up though. They are tubed tires. I don't think I'll be upgrading anything on the bike except for maybe the seatpost like you said. I read some forum posts where people bent it over on even 2 foot drops, lol. So for safety reasons I might get something beefier.

As for the rest, would you throw money into this bike if it were yours? honest question... i was just planning on riding it till it broke, whether thats one week or a year from now. Can some of the upgrade parts if I were to get them be transplanted onto a better mountain bike when I get that someday? If so that might be worth it.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
vw_ev said:
Drakken, thanks for the suggestions, i appreciate it.

Yep, thats the beast above, lol

Per your suggestion Drak I took off the kickstand and all of the reflectors on the rims. The stock tires that come with the bike look decent enough... i dont know how they'll hold up though. They are tubed tires. I don't think I'll be upgrading anything on the bike except for maybe the seatpost like you said. I read some forum posts where people bent it over on even 2 foot drops, lol. So for safety reasons I might get something beefier.

As for the rest, would you throw money into this bike if it were yours? honest question... Can some of the upgrade parts if I were to get them be transplanted onto a better mountain bike when I get that someday? If so that might be worth it.
i was just planning on riding it till it broke, whether thats one week or a year from now.
Do this, and save upgrade $ for a better bike:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts