Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, sometimes you're the ball... ~Dire Straits

An epic weekend here in Southern Alberta. Nyquil and I were out scouting more of the Canmore Gathering trails, making sure the dirt is just perfect.

Sunday was the day for Moosepacker's trail. Much to our delight it was a balmy 31 degrees celcius and a 45 minute climb awaited us. Mondy

I've been riding my new Heckler quite a bit lately and having a blast on it. Even better as my Jericho SS is down for the count as my Fox F80x is in the shop for warranty repairs. I started to notice a bit of a clunk/creak coming from what I thought was the handlebar. Seemed to get worse throughout the ride but I just figured the headset was a bit loose.

Monday, headed out to Baldy Pass for a rip through the forest. Again riding the heckler with a freshly tightened headset. On the first climb however, the creak was still there and worsened significantly toward the end of the ride. To the bike shop we go and low and behold, my Talas has to go back for repairs for the 3rd time in a year.

So, as I sit here, I have no mountain bikes as both have Fox forks on them. 4 rides on the f80x and it's in the shop. For the 3rd time in a year my Talas is in the shop. I'm beginning to look at Manitou's site...must resist the credit card...must resist...

Anyone else having troubles with Foxes?

Here's some images from the weekend...

b.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Uuuhh..what are those blue bubbly things on the ends of Nicole's bars?

Jed is trying to talk me into bringing my ss to Canmore. Is he mad?

Let me know if I need to go by Fox and bring your forks home to ya. Hopefully I'll have clothing for you guys too.

I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this trip.

Sabine

·
Jed Peters
1,412 Posts
Sabine said:

Let me know if I need to go by Fox and bring your forks home to ya. Hopefully I'll have clothing for you guys too.

Sabine
I am bringing mine. 36:21.

Don't be a puss.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yes, he's mad!

Sabine said:

Sabine
Brad and I were talking yesterday, while on the trail about about ss or geared. We are planning some epics with lots of quick elevation gains for the gathering. We both thought geared would be the best choice. You don't want to limit yourself out there...'cause it's sooo fun!! Suzy's bringing the Titus...last I heard.
Nic

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
I feel your pain...

I had a Fox Talus as well. On after the 6th trip in 9 months to Fox to have it "repaired" still didn't fix the oil leak (the oil on the outside of the box when I received it was my first clue), Fox replaced my fork with a brand new, in the box Talus. After receiving the brand new, in the box Talus, I traded it to my LBS straight up for a Marzocchi Marathon SL.

As a result of having a fork that actually spends time on my bike instead of at the OEM or with UPS, I seem to be riding my bike more. Funny how that works, no?

·
Registered
681 Posts
nyquil said:
Brad and I were talking yesterday, while on the trail about about ss or geared. We are planning some epics with lots of quick elevation gains for the gathering. We both thought geared would be the best choice. You don't want to limit yourself out there...'cause it's sooo fun!! Suzy's bringing the Titus...last I heard.
Nic
Well, since you two are going to be on the Titi, I better at least have gears. I will fish my geared bike out of rubble that is my house. I think I saw it under some drywall dust about 3 months ago.

So, that still doesn't explain the blue bubbly things?

Sabine

·
Registered
681 Posts
Simpleton said:
Thanks for the teaser. I'm really looking forward to kicking back at the gathering - it's been a looong time since I rode a mountain bike in, well, the mountains!

A vital question for Canmore veterans - how easy is it to find good beer in town?

Matt
I was told you would be bringing the beer. Didn't you get copied on that email? If not, here it is:

"Matt will be bringing the beer"

Sabine

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sabine said:

Sabine
Bubbly things: Streamers because it looks cooler when...and I quote "When I kick guys asses up hills" ...end quote.

dunno about the SS partner, the only worry you'd have would be the altitude and the fact the climbs don't seem to end.

My foxies are possibly going to Edmonton for neutering, the Talas has a problem with the crown/stanchion junction and they're off warrantly so I'm going to see if fixing them is worth it vs. "the hookup". I'll keep you posted.

BTW - I got the first Swag item yesterday. Oh yes, it's going to be bountiful.

Can't wait to see you!
b.

·
I think this is a trail..
147 Posts
Great weekend to be out and about! Sorry to hear about all the problems with those Foxes. Kinda glad I picked up a Manitou Minute on Ebay, now I just need the hippies in Tahoe to send out my new frame...

Rode the Kananaskis 8 on the Snot Rocket friday night but that was the last I saw of her for the rest of the weekend.

Did a road century on saturday, Lake Louise to Saskatchewan River Crossing and back. 160kms and 5000 feet of climbing, beautiful ride.

Sunday we scrambled up Mt Rae on Highwood Pass. At 10,500 feet the views were amazing.

Attachments

·
Jed Peters
1,412 Posts
nyquil said:
Nic
Don't worry Nic, I'll be riding Brad's heckler quite a bit.

And he thinks I'm joking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah right!

Zonic Man said:
Don't worry Nic, I'll be riding Brad's heckler quite a bit.

And he thinks I'm joking.
You'll be riding his Heckler....only if he gets his Fox Forks back....yup, 2 of them are going into Fox for repairs. He's riding the cycle-cross in the mountains until the forks are back. Wanna' trade and ride his cross?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.