Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With a little silver thrown in.

The Requisite Box-O-Parts, courtesy of Larry at Mountain High:

Add one White RFX and one 36 TALAS (both from the classifieds)

Add Parts and stir:

MMM, Plastic.

What's with the Chia tread?

More to come.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
xjbebop said:
Hadley's.....bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

What tires are those??

I was just looking at those Mega brakes....please post a review after some use!

nice ride!
They buzzzzzzzzzzzz; since I have been riding Hopes the Hadleys seem whisper quiet.

WTB Prowler (on the rear) good rear tire for around here, but they do wear quick.

I'll be taking them out for a spin tomorrow and will report. The lever feel is nothing like Shimano, they feel very gradual (though I have not bedded them in yet). At first I thought there was air in the lines.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Final Build

Took me about 5 hours to get the sucker built up. Really didn't run into any problems, other than installing the crank then remembering that I had a chain guide still to install :eek: I had originally ordered a 75mm stem, but picked up a 50mm Easton on fleabay for $20. Cockpit is cozy, but not uncomfortable.

I still need to trim up the brake lines and add an AMP. And I'm really looking forward to riding flats, I hate clipless.

That is my normal saddle height . . . when pointed downhill, that is :D

It came in at 32.5 lbs.

Frame: 08 RFX, XL
Shock: RP23
Fork: 08 Fox 36 TALAS
Headset: FSA PIG DH
Stem: Easton Havoc 50mm x 10 deg rise
Bar: Gravity Lite 40mm rise
Grips: Oury lock on
Brakes: Formula MEGA 200mm front/180mm rear
Cranks: Gravity Lite 175mm 22/32/bash
Shifters: X9 trigger
Rear Der: X9 med cage
Front Der: X9
Chain: PC 990
Cassette: PG 990 11-34
Pedals: Wellgo MG-1
Seatpost: Thomson
Seatpost Collar: Hope QR
Saddle: WTB Silverado Pro
Hubs: Hadley 32h
Spokes: DT Swiss Comps
Rims: WTB LaserDisk FR
Tires: WTB Stout/Prowler
Build Weight: 32.5 lbs.
Rider Height/weight/inseam: 6'4", 250 lbs, 35" or so

Sorry about the crappy pic, I'm using my backup backup camera.

·
trail fairy
9,531 Posts
about time TLL

looks great welcome to the RFX brigade even though you went to the Yoda light side :D nice stem bar combo, let us know how ya get on with the saddle over time:thumbsup:

Nice specc, and build I liiked the slow realease approach least you did it over a day, zilla did his over weeks, CC over years:lol:

White bikes do look sweet, though tidy only says that cause his is always in the living room and never gets dirty and white bikes always look good inside:lol:

Enjoy that puppy ya gonna have lots of good times together, we want ride pix now, so go find some English clay mud roots whatever and show us some UK piccs:thumbsup:

Ps ahh PIG HS, ok just keep it cleaned regulary and greased and it will be fine, they are not as well sealed as King or Hope, CC, I was doing mine after every muddy race on my DH bike and still it rusted, it will seize as well so easy to do on a single crown, enjoy TLL..

chir..

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trailadvent said:
about time TLL

looks great welcome to the RFX brigade even though you went to the Yoda light side :D nice stem bar combo, let us know how ya get on with the saddle over time:thumbsup:

Nice specc, and build I liiked the slow realease approach least you did it over a day, zilla did his over weeks, CC over years:lol:

White bikes do look sweet, though tidy only says that cause his is always in the living room and never gets dirty and white bikes always look good inside:lol:

Enjoy that puppy ya gonna have lots of good times together, we want ride pix now, so go find some English clay mud roots whatever and show us some UK piccs:thumbsup:

Ps ahh PIG HS, ok just keep it cleaned regulary and greased and it will be fine, they are not as well sealed as King or Hope, CC, I was doing mine after every muddy race on my DH bike and still it rusted, it will seize as well so easy to do on a single crown, enjoy TLL..

chir..
Yeah, I wasn't really trying to go light, but it just turned out that way. If I like bike the way I think I will I'll go coil later. Really, for someone in my weight zip code it is a good choice. All the pix were taken this AM, I finally setup a Picassa account so putting up pix is a snap. Note to self: remove dirty laundry and empty boxes from background before taking picture.

Tidy of course was my inspiration, though I am not as gnarcore as he is. And I'm on the other side of the pond, so I'll have to settle for the dry and dusty trails of Marin. As I have been riding a 29er exclusively for the past year, it should be interesting.

I went with the Pig sealed, so hopefully I won't be greasing bearings :D But yeah, I have had other FSA headsets that did, good advice.

I'll leave you with a pic of my new riding shoes--I went skatestyle.

·
trail fairy
9,531 Posts
Sweet TLL marin you lucky bugger enjoy that build is going to be sweet there, somehow I thought you were close to tidy oh well maybe the white frame had me confused, I do have some memory issues, like when did I get a dog and why dosen't it have an owner thats blonde and looks like Rene's sisters, oh well have dog the rest should be easy:D

Yeha got watch ya that wiley old sleeper Tidybeard I bet he's a closet nar DH rider from way back, hes all cooked and readyto roll, full coils big tires, he rips he just shows the sheepish piccs to put us off the scent! um White bike, sheep are white:skep:

Ah yeah I don't trust the sealed in sealed but al good, ahh I se ya went the Zilla way huh, hes a trend setter, how could we get lost at THC with either of you too on point and tail end charlie:D :thumbsup:

Anyways dude I think ya got a sweet rig there, don't worry about my light comments mostly its just tease, the RFX is proven light or nar it can go with way like Tidy:D

Enjoy bro:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
trailadvent said:
Ah yeah I don't trust the sealed in sealed but al good, ahh I se ya went the Zilla way huh, hes a trend setter, how could we get lost at THC with either of you too on point and tail end charlie:D :thumbsup:
:
Will have to see how the HS works out--It sure is beefier than the Orbit Extreme I was going to go with originally. As for the shoes . . . well at this point anything beats clipless (in my book).

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ride Report

I have had a chance to wring the RFX out on a few rides, here are my impressions so far:

Coming form a 29er I really did not know what to expect, going back to a 26" wheeled bike. Would I feel comfortable on small wheels? Truthfully, after a minute in the saddle it became a non-issue. I definitely notice the difference in momentum on the bike, as it does not keep momentum quite like my 29er; but it is easier to accelerate. There were other differences as well, but none that are dealbreakers, save one. As this is not a stupid 26 vs 29 debate, I'll not bother with all of that.

The ride: amazingly plush. Really, I felt that I had bottomless travel. I took it down a moderately steep trail that had a number of craters, potholes, rocks, and what have you and never once felt the rear get even close to full travel. as I'm still dialing in the shock, I may still have too much air in it, but dayem, this thing is plush. Feels like a Turner, for sure.

Climbing: I was expecting to be disappointed, as I have been riding a hardtail. Forget that. This bike climbs incredibly well. One thing I immediately noticed on a long climb is hat the slacker STA allowed me to get my saddle further back, which actually made my pedaling more efficient. I ran the propedal on "1" so there was little bob while I still had some suspension to allow the rear wheel to track through the bumps. And even though my 29er has similar gearing to a 26" bike, I still found the RFX to be easier to pedal up the hill.

Other plusses: The fit is perfect. Thanks to a tall HT and short stem, the bars are in perfect position. It fits me far better than my El Padrino, which means that it will be ridden far more. I also love how easy it is to keep my weight back on the bike when heading downhill. Handling and balance are neutral, even at low speed. I can't really offer up anything else as I just don't have enough time on the bike yet, but I am very impressed so far, so much so that I'm going to have to find a 29er that mimics the RFX in terms of fit and handling (that's the dealbreaker I was referring to).

Major props and thanks to Larry @ Mountain High Cyclery for the parts and Wheels. The wheels are rock solid. I am so glad we went with the Hadleys.

I'll post up a separate review of the MEGAs later.

·
Time flies...
2,205 Posts
Nice,
I think it's good to try other beverages on occasion to remind us just how sweet the Turner kool aid really is!
Larry built up the Hadley-based wheels for my Flux a few years ago and they are still the most solid wheelset I've got.
Still interested in the Mega's as well...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.