Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a pike team and am having trouble getting small bump suppleness, i weigh 190 with gear and have about 10 hours on the fork, i am only getting 20mm sag, and the fork feels very stiff!! anyone had oil levels off?? it seems wierd that other people complain of it being to soft, mine is just the opposite, any ideas????

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
bogmonster said:
Hello, i have a pike team and am having trouble getting small bump suppleness, i weigh 190 with gear and have about 10 hours on the fork, i am only getting 20mm sag, and the fork feels very stiff!! anyone had oil levels off?? it seems wierd that other people complain of it being to soft, mine is just the opposite, any ideas????
i'd think either too much oil, or possible something wrong with the compression adjust; something making it stick somehow. i've got a team, and haven't noticed anything like this. though i've only had the coil side on mine open, not the damper side; i've not had a reason to open that one yet. maybe i will just to take a look.......

yeah, most of the dislikes i've heard are along the lines of too soft------->next spring weight up. i only weight 165 max, with gear on, and i went up one from the stock spring.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Am Also Thinking Compression

that is what i am leaning towards, when i adjust the compression it makes no difference at all, i am thinking it is stuck in almost locked position. I am going to go buy a few new tools tomarrow and take it apart to measure oil and check the compression mechanism.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Any update on what was going on?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not Yet

Sorry, No Findings Yet, I Was Getting Ready To Disassemble The Dampening Side And I Could Find My Snap Ring Pliers, Then The Weather Turned Ugly With Rain, And Our Trails Here Are Sensitive This Time Of Year When Its Wet. I Will Hopefully Get To It This Weekend, Probably A Bad Oil Level........mark

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Too much oil in the Motion Control side could cause some sort of hydraulic lock. It is easy to take the MC unit out and dump the oil and remeasure it back in. This sounds prudent in any case. RS has good instructions you can download from their site. It's a pretty easy fork to work on.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
bogmonster said:
that is what i am leaning towards, when i adjust the compression it makes no difference at all, i am thinking it is stuck in almost locked position. I am going to go buy a few new tools tomarrow and take it apart to measure oil and check the compression mechanism.
Definitely something wrong with the compression then. Going from full soft to lockout on the compression is a HUGE difference when it's working correctly. If it was simply stuck in lockout (max compression setting), winding the floodgate fully open would dramatically reduce the lockout threshold point. This would be a simple test to try. If this makes no difference, then the compression circuit is definitely not working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.