Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When buying a travel case you may want to consider that the dimensions can make a big difference in the shipping costs.

The Crateworks box is 11x30x45.5 this can be shipped fedex ground. The Trico box is 10.5x30.5x47 which is apparently too large to ship via fedex ground. If you can't ship by fedex ground then the shipping rate goes way up (aprox double)

When I checked the DHL shipping calculator the difference was not as dramatic, but still about a $5 dollar difference.

Bottom line is you may want to find out the shipping dimensions of the case and try them on the shipping calculators before you buy.

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
texas said:
When buying a travel case you may want to consider that the dimensions can make a big difference in the shipping costs.

The Crateworks box is 11x30x45.5 this can be shipped fedex ground. The Trico box is 10.5x30.5x47 which is apparently too large to ship via fedex ground. If you can't ship by fedex ground then the shipping rate goes way up (aprox double)

When I checked the DHL shipping calculator the difference was not as dramatic, but still about a $5 dollar difference.

Bottom line is you may want to find out the shipping dimensions of the case and try them on the shipping calculators before you buy.
Good post. Im headed to whistler in July and will be ready!!! went last year and got charged 90 out of JFK and they tried to charge me 180$ on the way back. They gave me cardboard boxes to put heavy stuff in so bikebox would come in under weight. This year i will be shipping my HT there either UPS or Fed ex. DH bike comes on plane. I will borrow a trico box for the flight but am considering a reg bike box cut up to make it smaller to save some money. The case i borrowed last year was already like 20lbs empty. Throw in a dh bike and the weight goes over the limit. My 2 buddies w/ trico cases didnt get charged extra by the airlines.U live and u learn. I was not gonna pay 180$ for my bike on the airline unless it was sitting next to me in coach. Sh!t it was almost reason enough to just stay in BC forever.....

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
texas said:

I've shipped a Trico case UPS ground before with no problems, so UPS is an option.

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPS ground is more expensive.

I guess if you have a trico case you need to ship it DHL or UPS. I know for the trip I am planning UPS is a bout $10 dollars more then fedex each direction.

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
I just shipped a Trico clamshell from NY to San Francisco and back again last month. This was via Fedex Ground.
I believe it measures an inch or so too wide for the "official" Fedex rules, but I didn't get any static from the Fedex representative at either end.

It was super cheap, I might add... something a little less than $65 from Fedex/Kinkos in SF to Brooklyn with my Blur 4X inside.

EDIT: I should definitely add a YMMV... you could run in to a more by-the-book Fedex person than I have.

-rob in Brooklyn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.