Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had this one in my head for quite a while; it just took the stars lining up to make it happen. The main thing I needed to do was to let go of my SyCip Diesel 26er single speed. I loved that bike but once I started riding 29ers I couldn't get myself to ride it any more, so it got passed on to a new owner and some of it's parts got recycled onto this bike.

I just got it together today so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet (theme in here lately, huh?). I probably won't ride it for a while either, the Pugsley is a better tool to use in the snow here in Montana right now anywhoo. I was pleasantly surprised by the final build weight - 23.1 lbs. with bottle cages and some heavy parts (Reba, Jones bars, cheapo Shimano pedals).

Build kit:
Semi-custom 18"/21" Ventana El Comandante frame
Rock Shox Reba SL fork, 100mm travel (for now at least)
Torquoise King Headset
Moots Ti-Beam stem, 120mm 0 rise
Moots ti. headset spacers, 15mm & 25mm
Moots Straight-Laced seatpost, 380mm
Bontrager Race Light saddle, ti. rails
Jones H-Bars
Hayes Mag XC Brakes
White Industries ENO Crankset, pewter/ti. color (exclusive to The Path bike shop)
32 tooth ENO chainring
Shimano 540 SPD pedals
18 tooth Endless cog
King universal disc SS Hubs
Stan's Arch 29er rims
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 tires
blue valve caps;)

I'm thinking this will be my racing weapon of choice next year. Last year I built up a rigid ti. 29er single speed and rode it more than any of my other bikes, I think this bike is going to be even better.
 

Attachments

·
In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mtnbiker4life said:
Gotta love those Chris Kings.........:thumbsup: Is that your downhill bike in the back ground.....the one with the basket on the front :thumbsup:
That's my yard art, it'll have holly in the basket pretty soon. If you look close you'll see a beefy cable locking it to an eye-bolt in my porch, I live a block away from 2 bars, 'nuff said.
 

·
In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FoShizzle said:
OMG....the horror! A moots post! Havent you heard, they are forbade on the Ventana forum! :)

sweet ride!
Naw, so long as the carpet matches the drapes...err...the seatpost matches the stem you're OK. I do have to credit you as one of my main influences in choosing an El Co and looking closer at Ventana in general.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
el-cid said:
Naw, so long as the carpet matches the drapes...err...the seatpost matches the stem you're OK. I do have to credit you as one of my main influences in choosing an El Co and looking closer at Ventana in general.
i am honored....ventana is certainly a worthy company and sherwood is a true gentlemen indeed.

if only i could justify a 6" or 7" travel bike (and had the money) i would unload the RFX for a terremoto or bruja.

i have the utmost respect for sherwood and he is in a league of his own compared to many if not most of his competitors.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
?????????????????
yes...poorly worded...corrected to reflect he is more betterer than other companies. Noel from Knolly seems like a killer person as well of course
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,278 Posts
FoShizzle said:
OMG....the horror! A moots post! Havent you heard, they are forbade on the Ventana forum! :)
Am I sensing a theme here? :rolleyes:

Nice bike, I really dig the blue and the matching WB cages of course. Is it a 18" Seat Tube with a TT from a 21" frame? I think I want some of those Racing Ralphs.

I used to live a block away from a bar (the 8 Ball in Cotati, CA) and the drunks would go through our trash looking for good stuff. This was after they urinated on the lawn, cars, dog, whatever.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Random Drivel said:
Am I sensing a theme here? :rolleyes:

Nice bike, I really dig the blue and the matching WB cages of course. Is it a 18" Seat Tube with a TT from a 21" frame?

I think I want some of those Racing Ralphs.
yes....i think i will order a Moots stem tomorrow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
yessir, that really turned out nice Chad....so how long has it been since Chris King has made headsets in that tone of blue (i'm thinking you've got some ebay gold right there buddy : ) ) ?

also...did i hear correct. You've got a Pugsley now too ?
 

·
In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nwmtb said:
so how long has it been since Chris King has made headsets in that tone of blue (i'm thinking you've got some ebay gold right there buddy : ) ) ?
They discontinued the turquoise the same year the purple and apple green got axed, maybe 2002 or so? Yeah, gold like the nutjob (no offense if it was someone on here) that had an apple green headset listed for $999 buy it now...

nwmtb said:
also...did i hear correct. You've got a Pugsley now too ?
Yup, the right deal sprung up in June of all times. Actually these Jones bars were "borrowed" from it. They were replaced on the Pugs with some Titec Jones bars. Now I don't have any excuses to not come over the hill (or around it this time of year) to come riding this winter. I still need to call you to score a copy of Klunkers too.
 

·
In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Random Drivel said:
Is it a 18" Seat Tube with a TT from a 21" frame? I think I want some of those Racing Ralphs.
Yup, 18" seat tube and tt from 20" (no 21", oops.) size (23.8" vtt). Converting the RR's tubeless was a beeyotch, I converted a pair of Special-ed tires over on the Strong 29er and they aired up by hand. These tool liberal cursing and a multiple shots from the 'ol compressor. They may be best run with tubes, but I've got a masochistic streak I guess.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
RR's are a good hardpack tire, but DON'T BOTHER if you have to deal with sand.

I still blame the tires (it couldn't be rider error, could it?) for a wipeout at speed that cost me a broken collar bone.

Loved the RR's everywhere but sand, and the performance there was bad enough to have me move back to some other favorites.

JmZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Nice 29er

el-cid,

About how tall are you? I'm going to SyCip tomorrow to see what production size frame would fit me. Lately I've been thinking about getting a 29er SyCip SS frame but I'm not sure if the the 29er benefit me since I'm only 5'10" tall. I've heard that 29er frames are great if you're 6ft. or taller...


el-cid said:
Well, I've had this one in my head for quite a while; it just took the stars lining up to make it happen. The main thing I needed to do was to let go of my SyCip Diesel 26er single speed. I loved that bike but once I started riding 29ers I couldn't get myself to ride it any more, so it got passed on to a new owner and some of it's parts got recycled onto this bike.

I just got it together today so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet (theme in here lately, huh?). I probably won't ride it for a while either, the Pugsley is a better tool to use in the snow here in Montana right now anywhoo. I was pleasantly surprised by the final build weight - 23.1 lbs. with bottle cages and some heavy parts (Reba, Jones bars, cheapo Shimano pedals).

Build kit:
Semi-custom 18"/21" Ventana El Comandante frame
Rock Shox Reba SL fork, 100mm travel (for now at least)
Torquoise King Headset
Moots Ti-Beam stem, 120mm 0 rise
Moots ti. headset spacers, 15mm & 25mm
Moots Straight-Laced seatpost, 380mm
Bontrager Race Light saddle, ti. rails
Jones H-Bars
Hayes Mag XC Brakes
White Industries ENO Crankset, pewter/ti. color (exclusive to The Path bike shop)
32 tooth ENO chainring
Shimano 540 SPD pedals
18 tooth Endless cog
King universal disc SS Hubs
Stan's Arch 29er rims
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 tires
blue valve caps;)

I'm thinking this will be my racing weapon of choice next year. Last year I built up a rigid ti. 29er single speed and rode it more than any of my other bikes, I think this bike is going to be even better.
 

·
Bodhisattva
Joined
·
10,833 Posts
psOption3 said:
el-cid,

About how tall are you? I'm going to SyCip tomorrow to see what production size frame would fit me. Lately I've been thinking about getting a 29er SyCip SS frame but I'm not sure if the the 29er benefit me since I'm only 5'10" tall. I've heard that 29er frames are great if you're 6ft. or taller...
I'm 5'10". I own two 29ers and a 26er. The if I had to give up one, the 26er would be the first to go.
 

·
In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
psOption3 said:
el-cid,

About how tall are you? I'm going to SyCip tomorrow to see what production size frame would fit me. Lately I've been thinking about getting a 29er SyCip SS frame but I'm not sure if the the 29er benefit me since I'm only 5'10" tall. I've heard that 29er frames are great if you're 6ft. or taller...
I'm 5'10" tall too. My bikes all have 24"-24.5" top tubes (give or take). I wouldn't hesitate for a second to try a 29er if I were you, I had a fleet of really nice 26" bikes and slowly they've all been replaced with 29ers. The SyCip was the final holdout (of the bikes I actually rode) but I finally admitted to myself I'd be better served with a new 29er SS. I've kept a few 26" wheeled bikes around like my Bontrager Race Lite and my Fisher Klunker but I don't see myself ever riding anything but a 29er as an everyday bike.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top