Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had this one in my head for quite a while; it just took the stars lining up to make it happen. The main thing I needed to do was to let go of my SyCip Diesel 26er single speed. I loved that bike but once I started riding 29ers I couldn't get myself to ride it any more, so it got passed on to a new owner and some of it's parts got recycled onto this bike.

I just got it together today so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet (theme in here lately, huh?). I probably won't ride it for a while either, the Pugsley is a better tool to use in the snow here in Montana right now anywhoo. I was pleasantly surprised by the final build weight - 23.1 lbs. with bottle cages and some heavy parts (Reba, Jones bars, cheapo Shimano pedals).

Build kit:
Semi-custom 18"/21" Ventana El Comandante frame
Rock Shox Reba SL fork, 100mm travel (for now at least)
Torquoise King Headset
Moots Ti-Beam stem, 120mm 0 rise
Moots ti. headset spacers, 15mm & 25mm
Moots Straight-Laced seatpost, 380mm
Bontrager Race Light saddle, ti. rails
Jones H-Bars
Hayes Mag XC Brakes
White Industries ENO Crankset, pewter/ti. color (exclusive to The Path bike shop)
32 tooth ENO chainring
Shimano 540 SPD pedals
18 tooth Endless cog
King universal disc SS Hubs
Stan's Arch 29er rims
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 tires
blue valve caps

I'm thinking this will be my racing weapon of choice next year. Last year I built up a rigid ti. 29er single speed and rode it more than any of my other bikes, I think this bike is going to be even better.
Attached Images

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm going to have a talk with Lynette about this "exclusive" stuff. Maybe we can get a run of purple just for our shop.

Really sweet bike. Looks fast.

·
Registered
564 Posts
AteMrYeats said:
I'm going to have a talk with Lynette about this "exclusive" stuff. Maybe we can get a run of purple just for our shop.

Really sweet bike. Looks fast.
They will do any color you want as long as you order enough of them.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MMcG said:
Congrats! That's an interesting color you've got there with that CK headset.
Thanks Mark, the headset covers both the old and the blue. I had it on my Maybe Baby Blue SyCip SS and it matched nearly perfectly. If I was starting from scratch it'd have a navy headset on it, but it matches the bottle cages pretty close. I'm not going to kick it out of bed (don't tell my wife I said that).

·
Registered
564 Posts
xmynameisdan said:
Do you know what that number is?
When I asked about getting hubs done in different colors I was told 5 pairs, which is 10 pieces. So I think if you ordered 5 pairs of cranks that would make 10 pieces and they would do it but I could be wrong.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Nice bike....

Looks like that HA would go well with a Fox fork. I like that model's shortish TT and slacker HA.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Miker J said:
Looks like that HA would go well with a Fox fork. I like that model's shortish TT and slacker HA.
Yeah, I figure with the fork set at 100mm the head tube should be 69.5-70 degrees. I've heard nothing but good from the people riding the bikes with 100mm forks. I'm intrigued by the Fox forks, but not intrigued enough to lay down the cash for one. I got in on the OEM fork deal at Speedgoat and I've been nothing but satisfied by the Reba on my Vicious Groover, better to not fix something that's not broken.

·
moe.
371 Posts
I am one of those running the fork at 100mm

el-cid said:
Yeah, I figure with the fork set at 100mm the head tube should be 69.5-70 degrees. I've heard nothing but good from the people riding the bikes with 100mm forks. I'm intrigued by the Fox forks, but not intrigued enough to lay down the cash for one. I got in on the OEM fork deal at Speedgoat and I've been nothing but satisfied by the Reba on my Vicious Groover, better to not fix something that's not broken.
...on an El Padrino. You probably knew that from my post in the V forum. Anyway when if you do go to the 80mm, please let me in on your ride report comparison. I will of course do the same. Beautiful bike. BTW, do you know if these '08s Ventana frames are using straight gauge tubing-just curious.

Thanks

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
mtntrance said:
...on an El Padrino. You probably knew that from my post in the V forum. Anyway when if you do go to the 80mm, please let me in on your ride report comparison. I will of course do the same. Beautiful bike. BTW, do you know if these '08s Ventana frames are using straight gauge tubing-just curious.

Thanks
in my experience, you can expect approx. 20mm less travel going from 100mm to 80mm...my 2 cents anyway

·
moe.
371 Posts
Thanks Fo

FoShizzle said:
in my experience, you can expect approx. 20mm less travel going from 100mm to 80mm...my 2 cents anyway
With all the preoccupation on the forum about sluggish handling with slacker HAs, and the Ventana HT niners having 70.5 HA and geo recommending a 80mm fork, I thought I was going to be in trouble running my fork at 100mm thus even further lowering the HA but so far so good. Fortunately on the F29 it's relatively easy to go back and forth between 100 and 80mm-or so I am told.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Bikes to the left of me, bikes to the right.
Lost in the middle with you.

Nice bike. :D :thumbsup:

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
What size?

slocaus said:
Bikes to the left of me, bikes to the right.
Lost in the middle with you.

Nice bike. :D :thumbsup:
Were those....

29 inch Steeler Wheels?

(du-dum of the cheezy joke drum sound)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts