Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a pretty new Scott Scale 940 2013 about 4 months old purchased new. Recently I had new tubeless wheels put on with new rotors since mine wouldn't work with the new rims. I purchased them from my LBS. I was cleaning my rear brake pads and they don't wear evenly. Something is not right. Did they put on the wrong size rotors? Here is a pic below of my rear pads.

image ru

·
Registered
666 Posts
Are both pads worn like that? Obviously looks as though the whole pad is not coming in contact with the rotor.

How do new pads contact the disc? Are they fully touching the disc.

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,341 Posts
180mm rotor on an avid brake system setup for 185mm? Incorrect use of CPS washers perhaps?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes both pads are like that on the rear. It's fully touching the disc except for the part that is not worn out like in the photos above. I have Shimano BR-M596 Disc brakes. The new Rotors that were put on are Shimano 160 SM-RT56-S. Which replaced the 160mm Rear SM-RT64 CL Rotors.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Can you snap a pic of the brake caliper on the bike? Your orbital washers may be in the wrong order. Double check the mount hardware mimics the front.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looks like your caliper is not close enough to the center of your rotor. There are no spacers visible in your pictures that you could remove and it looks like you are running a shimano caliper and rotor, which should be compatible. Is there any chance that your wheel was not quite centered in the dropout when you tightened the QR? Otherwise it could be an issue with the tolerances on the caliper post-mounts on your frame.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you still have your old wheels and rotors? Can you check your old rotors to see if the wear marks suggest incomplete pad contact too?

Did the shop replace your pads when you got the new wheels/rotors? If so, they may have put in the wrong replacements. I don't know if it is the case with more current Shimano brakes, but in the past they had models which had essentially identical pad dimensions but different length tabs with the eyelet. I always thought it was stupid to make so many different spec pads, but what can you do. Something like that could potentially alter the position of the pad material within the caliper if you had replacement pads with shorter tabs, assuming there was room in the caliper for the pad to sit higher up of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts