Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks all for responses. It's been fun researching information online while passing away the hours during home confinement!

I ordered a Canon Elph 360HS from amazon as part of a "package" for $219. It arrived late last night.

I ran out later today and tried to take the same picture with both the Elph and my Samsung Note 9. Photographs were taken with tripod and self timer so I didn't have to touch the camera. Both were shot in "auto" mode with zero tinkering. No Post processing or filtering. Images were down-resolved 50% to meet upload requirements.

#1:
Elph76 at 50 JPEG image.jpg

#2:
Samusung 50 JPEG.jpg

I won't reveal which is which for now. I have a favorite - but not by any really strong reasons. I like #1 because of the sky and cloud coloring and because the contrast isn't as severe. The walker's arm looks more natural. And the foreground (manhole covers) seem smoother.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
434 Posts
well those are shrunken a LOT more than 50%. 1024x768 res.... less than 1MP. But there is a noticable difference in dynamic range (when side by side or actively *looking* for differences.) Somewhat to be expected. The Elph isn't a big sensor, but it's bigger than the Note 9's main camera. It's also 20MP vs 12MP.

In this specific scene/comparison, about the only advantage the Note seems to pull away with is sharpness, but that's more software than anything in the case of Samsung's camera designs.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
First one for sure is the Elph. more dynamic range, better preservation of details in the brightest and darkest areas, more lifelike colors for sure. Look, cell phones and what the cameras in them can do ...it's amazing. But there wouldn't be a market for anything else to take pictures if they were as good as some people imply they are. Enjoy the new camera. I'm sure it will make your life easier, and your photos more....."publish ready".

Thanks all for responses. It's been fun researching information online while passing away the hours during home confinement!

I ordered a Canon Elph 360HS from amazon as part of a "package" for $219. It arrived late last night.

I ran out later today and tried to take the same picture with both the Elph and my Samsung Note 9. Photographs were taken with tripod and self timer so I didn't have to touch the camera. Both were shot in "auto" mode with zero tinkering. No Post processing or filtering. Images were down-resolved 50% to meet upload requirements.

#1:
View attachment 1337385

#2:
View attachment 1337387

I won't reveal which is which for now. I have a favorite - but not by any really strong reasons. I like #1 because of the sky and cloud coloring and because the contrast isn't as severe. The walker's arm looks more natural. And the foreground (manhole covers) seem smoother.

Thoughts?

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Both are good interpretations of the scene, one has more possibilities for editing.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cotharyus nailed it. Pic #1 is the Elph.

Picture file sizes are 8.4 Mb. MTBR won't take 'em "as is." I launch MS paint and scale by 50% to get 4.2 Mb file sizes. Those uploaded but must be down-resolved by the site.

How do I upload higher quality pics?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts

Picture file sizes are 8.4 Mb. MTBR won't take 'em "as is." I launch MS paint and scale by 50% to get 4.2 Mb file sizes. Those uploaded but must be down-resolved by the site.

Size limitations on forums are typically driven by a desire to conserve space on the server. As far as I know, the only way to make a higher res option available on the forums is to have it hosted elsewhere and link to it.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts

I use photoshop CC, adjust saturation, and sharpen with unsharp mask tool set for 150, 1, 1. I then downsize to 96 dpi, save as a jpg, at level 7 compression, in the srgb color space. These are handled about as well as anything by the site. I set my camera to do as little editing as possible.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I'll throw another option into the mix, though it's over the $200 point.

I've been using tough cameras as part of my standard gear for about 10 years now. My current one is an Olympus TG-5 and it does a great job in most conditions. It's waterproof, dustproof, crushproof, freezeproof, etc, so I don't worry about it in any conditions... or crashes.

I've compared it to the most recent iphone camera and it still has an advantage in picture quality, though that gap is closing fast and, to be honest, in low light, the iphone can do better with it's night mode.

If you haven't picked one up yet, it's an option worth considering since you don't have to baby it and if you drop it, dunk it or crash on it, it'll be just fine.

It does well with both scenics and sport mode pictures.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
This little gem is hard to beat. Excellent low light capabilities, great video capture. WiFi to IPad. Fits in a shirt pocket or small 1010 Pelican case for maximum compact protection while riding. Well worth the $400+- price tag.

Pretty good tutorial below.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can pick up a used older model Fujifilm X100 for around the 200USD mark.

If you don't mind shooting with a 35mm equivalent lens they are great cameras, depends a bit on what you intend to shoot though.

The X100S takes exceptional photos, much better than most point and shoot cameras. You can set it to auto mode if you want but the physical controls for all the main setting makes it also a great tool for leaning how to use a camera.

I really like the hybrid viewfinder too, a much nice photography experience than using an LCD for framing.

If you are not interested in editing photos, the Fujifilm processing is very good. They produce exceptional out of camera JPEGs.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts