Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 29er or cx frame for bike camping, exploring gravel roads, and some XC stuff here and there. I'd like plenty of braze-ons and disc-brakes.

My Zion 29er has no braze-ons.

A Cross Check would probably work just fine, but I don't want to give up disc brakes.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
852 Posts
Probably kind of obvious, but how about the Karate Monkey? The Fargo would also be great for those applications, but its more expensive.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I have a Cross Check and a Karate Monkey. I'd say the Monkey would suit your needs better, especially since you want disc brakes. As someone else mentioned, the Soma Double Cross Disc would also be a good choice, depending on your terrain. It will be the lightest option as well, but doesn't have the big tire clearance that the Cross Check has.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
You could buy a disc fork for a CC, which would give you a disc on the important end.

The Salsa La Cruz, if you can find one, would fit the bill.

Maybe a Singular Peregrine.

Look into a disc frame 'cross bike. I've heard the Trek Portland cane take a 40mm or so tire, and has discs. I think the cheap Nashbar X frame has similar clearances.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Monkey has been considered, but I just don't like the Monkey's rear track ends. If it had vertical dropouts it would be great.

I've also considered the La Cruz, the Soma Double Cross, and the Singular Peregrine.

The Peregrine is just about perfect, but doesn't it have an EBB?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
If you aren't in a hurry Salsa will have a bike that will scratch that itch after February or so. Called a Vaya. Think "Fargo-lite" and you'll be right on track with what it is. ;)
Wow.... Is the VAYA going to have the tall head tube and still be drop bar specific GT? I love riding drop bar mountain bikes but the Fargo is pretty heavy. Is the Vaya steel ?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
N10S said:
Wow.... Is the VAYA going to have the tall head tube and still be drop bar specific GT? I love riding drop bar mountain bikes but the Fargo is pretty heavy. Is the Vaya steel ?
Yeah, steel it is. Drop bar specific? I'm pretty sure it is. I'm totally guessing here, but I think the Vaya is basically replacing the LaCruz in the line up.

Again.....that's purely speculation on my part.

But we'll all find out more real soon. The Vaya is due out for public consumption soon and will be shown in February at Frostbike, which is parent company QBP's little bike show in their warehouse. Dealers already are leaking info on the Vaya, so maybe we'll hear more before then.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
rockhound said:
I hope it doesn't have that big ol' headtube like the Fargo.

Give me something traditional, like a Cross Check, La Cruz, and Peregrine combined and in 4130. :thumbsup:
Did you check out the Vassago Fisticuff? Sounds a lot like what you're looking for.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ianick said:
Did you check out the Vassago Fisticuff? Sounds a lot like what you're looking for.
I've seen them and they don't fit the bill for me.

I don't want track ends and the only rack mount I saw was near the rear dropout.

I'd also prefer a disc-only frame, but that's just aesthetics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.