Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This frame started out as a Trans-blue front with a black ano rear.. As much as I like trans blue, the blue/black just wasn't doing it for me, so I sent it off to the guys at Sycip for freshening. I chose the color almost literally on a whim, but I'm pretty excited about the result!

Build kit is the XO-All mountain with (of course) a set of Formula Puro's, and a Bontrager carbon handlebar. I don't know the precise weight, but it rides a lot lighter than you'd expect.. (As many of you well know!)

I'm happy to say the bike has some dirt on it now!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
sweet:)

looks nice!

it might look even cooler if u put the black decals on it instead of the silver. would stand out more :D

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
Sweet color...never thought about Sycip for a paint job...how much did they charge for that?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I love it, very one of a kind!

What do you think of the brakes?

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
Sweet...

Sweet lookin ride and color choice... Nice to see that other people are repowdercoating their bikes before they even get them. That color looks like something that you'd see on a car from the late 50's. I'm having a blast riding my Nomad and I am sure you'll dig yours too.

( PM me if you'd like to buy my two month old DHX air )

D

G
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dirty D said:
Sweet lookin ride and color choice... Nice to see that other people are repowdercoating their bikes before they even get them. That color looks like something that you'd see on a car from the late 50's. I'm having a blast riding my Nomad and I am sure you'll dig yours too.

( PM me if you'd like to buy my two month old DHX air )

D
Thanks for all the compliments guys!

This was actually a frame that I inherited from my business partner. It had been ridden quite a bit, and the bearings were in pretty sorry shape thanks to a really muddy trip he took to Whistler.

Since I had the frame apart to replace the bearings, I figured I might as well turn it into something that was really my own, and one thing led to another. Once the smoke (from my credit card) cleared, I had the bike you see here.

I thought about going with the black decals, but I like the understated effect of the silver.. If anything painted sparkly toothpaste blue can be called understated.

Since I work for Formula in the US, I got a pretty good deal on the brakes.. I think they work really well, but I may be biased. :p We're now the secondary supplier for Santa Cruz, so it's possible that if you order a build kit from them you could get a set of our brakes in the kit. (The K24, not the Puros.) I'll stop spamming now.

The bike is a riot to ride. I had a Truth for four years before getting this rig together, and I just have way more fun riding this bike.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sweet Ride

That's are really sweet looking and one of a kind Nomad. On my computer, that color reminds me a lot of the Seafoam Green that was available from Volkswagen in the early sixties. Very cool bike! Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Wow, a nice muddy one!

I see you have a strait seatpost and the bike looks pretty sloped with the 36 in front. Did you try out a few position and do you feel well positionned above the crank for pedalling with that post? thanks

Bora said:
Ok this is mi "new color" i think i prefer.....

sry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes..because whit the seatback post moves the rider to the rear of chassis even a small amount will weight the rear wheel too much while climbing and cause the front tire to become too light (but if you chose the smalest frame!!!!!!!you m ust put the seatback post)..... i think this bike had the magic seat/head angle......................................and jumps perfectly..that is the advantage to for the straith post......................................try it and you will see

Attachments

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
This was actually a frame that I inherited from my business partner. It had been ridden quite a bit, and the bearings were in pretty sorry shape thanks to a really muddy trip he took to Whistler.
:eek: :eek: :confused:
Why no comments about this? The frame can't be more than a few months old (8 to 9 max if was pre-production) and the bearings are shot already?

That is scary!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
SSINGA said:
:eek: :eek: :confused:
Why no comments about this? The frame can't be more than a few months old (8 to 9 max if was pre-production) and the bearings are shot already?

That is scary!
Muddy Whistler kills bearings like nothing else. Doesn't really matter how old it is, take it to Whistler during a muddy spell and you can kiss the bearings goodbye-unless you tear it down and rebuild it every day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts