Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The G2 vs. Niner (etc) geometry thread got me thinking:

Does anyone know a (a bit more modern) bike resembling original G1 geometry and designed around 100mm (fox 41mm off-set) fork?

I loved my original 04-05 purple Rig (with a few small updates). Yes, it felt a bit slow and clumsy at first but man did it descent/ascent some technical places. I guess I like stable bikes, heh. My current Singular Swift has 110mm stem and 710mm flat Salsa bar - and now the steering feels ok, with previoysly tested shorter stems and narrower bars the steering felt "twitchy"! I recently bought an AM FS 26" (Specialized Pitch Pro) and with 105mm stem and 685mm bars it still feels slightly nervous to me, and I am going to up date the bars to the 700-710mm range. I guess long arms and relatively wide shoulders has something to do with this...(184cm, 85kg with long arms&upper torso)

I somehow ended up liking Rig's long(ish) chain stays too, lifting the fork was really predictable and at least it was hard to end up on your ass...:) A bit shorter stays should do no harm though.

I ended up selling the Rig as I was concerned about the durabily, I felt the rear end flexing a lot all the times (I like technical riding). Still, I liked the geometry so much that I regret selling the bike at times...

So, my next 29er should be something like the original Rig but a bit sturdier. Probably 1 x 9 set up and should fit at least real 2,35's in the rear. I have 100mm Fox 29er lying on the garage as I dig the SIngular's fully rigid set-up. So, fork choice is obvious.

Steel preferred but light&sturdy aluminium bike might be ok too. Should be ok in the longer xc rides but take some abuse and technical terrain too. Anyone?

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
852 Posts
I'm not sure that I read what size your Rig was, but I looked at the Fisher archives and see longer TT, slack HT angle, steep ST angle and 17.3" chainstays.

The first few that resemble that to me are Vassago (longer CS though) and Siren John Henry in steel. However, these bikes are not built around a 100mm fork (though some here run100mm on Vassagos without problems). Soul Cycles Dillinger in aluminum also fits the bill. I think the Chumba HX2 is close too.

Those are a few that I can think of. I like the same long and low geometry myself, so I currently own a Vassago and SC Dillinger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Rig's size was L (19").

Long and low, that's it.

Current Specialized (L, 19") = exact the same...some people complain that w/ Specialized they won't see where the bars are...:) (and I still run a relatively long stem, especially considering Pitch is an AM frame)

I guess On-One Inbred 29er is another option (not light though)...isn't the new version optimized for 100mm?

PS. Vassago's looks pretty good to me, Bandersnatch 18" would probably work quite well...

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
852 Posts
JJN said:
Thanks.

Rig's size was L (19").

Long and low, that's it.

Current Specialized (L, 19") = exact the same...some people complain that w/ Specialized they won't see where the bars are...:) (and I still run a relatively long stem, especially considering Pitch is an AM frame)

I guess On-One Inbred 29er is another option (not light though)...isn't the new version optimized for 100mm?

PS. Vassago's looks pretty good to me, Bandersnatch 18" would probably work quite well...
Yep. I have an 18" Bandersnatch and love it. Flies downhill and climbs great. HT angle on the Inbred is a touch steeper and ETT is a little shorter than what you are describing. I tried it and didn't like it as much as the Bandy. FWIW, I'm running the Bandy rigid with an ODIS fork and the SC with a 100mm Reba SL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Bandersnatch is quite tempting.

However - this is a future project.

It seems that in many cases I am stuck right between the sizes (L/XL)...I could even go a little longer HT (on the Vassago) but keep the 18" or 19" height (That old Rig was exceptionally long - 627mm effective tob tube w/ 19" frame!)

·
Registered
249 Posts
from trek's gary fisher faq i get the impression that the chief difference between genesis 1 and 2 i just the fork offset...if you take a genesis 2 and give it a fork with 38 mm offset you've got the original genesis...i could be wrong tho

·
Registered
180 Posts
common_man said:
from trek's gary fisher faq i get the impression that the chief difference between genesis 1 and 2 i just the fork offset...if you take a genesis 2 and give it a fork with 38 mm offset you've got the original genesis...i could be wrong tho
I originally thought this to be true as well, but I had a small purple rig myself (g1) and the effective top tube was 589.30mm. The new G2 small's have a 570.00mm effective top tube. So they've shortened the top tube's from g1 to g2.

The other sizes aren't as drastic 609.60mm shortened to 601.90mm for the 17.5" frame. These numbers are comparing the 2006 Genesis geometry to the 2010 G2 geometry, from the fisher website. All numbers are for the Rig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.