Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at possibly buying some Sidi Dominator 5's or the Giau's. I was set on the Dominators; however, if the main difference is the buckle, i'd rather save a buck.

Questions:
-Is it the same sole?
-Is it the same upper material?
-Much of a weight difference?

Either way, both should be better and last longer than my first pair of mtb shoes (Nike acg)
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Giau's are the 3 strap, right? They appear to have many similarities in construction and fit with the Dominators. It appears the Dominators have replaceable soles unlike the Giau. I was afraid the hard plastic soles would be very slippery on rocks but they've been OK and sure last longer than rubber soles. I wish the Sidi heal was wider, it's easy to turn an ankle - I guess its too narrow to save a couple grams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
The Gaiu looks like it's along the same lines as the Bullet and the Blaze from a year or two back. Those shoes were made in Romania instead of Italy like the Doms. I'll check when I get to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts
If you have to do any real hiking (with your bike) while wearing Dominators, the soles will split from the shoe (like backwards flip flops). They are NOT worth the money. Get something with toe guards.
 

·
In Bum Fcuk Egypt
Joined
·
73 Posts
I haven't had ANY problems with Dominator 5's going on two years now. I've had Shimano's, and Answers. Glad I bought the Sidi's.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts
I would not recommend Dominators for anyone who is riding with hike-a-bikes (here and there) in any wet conditions. The soles will peel away. It happened to me with the last two shoes. The last Dominators only lasted 4 months for me.
 

·
don't try this at home
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
Pisgah said:
I would not recommend Dominators for anyone who is riding with hike-a-bikes (here and there) in any wet conditions. The soles will peel away. It happened to me with the last two shoes. The last Dominators only lasted 4 months for me.
not been my experience at all. maybe CQ has gone downhill. i've been wearing the same pair for about 10 years and have done my share of hike-a-bikes. that being said, i am looking for new shoes too and looking for something a bit less coin then Dom 5's.

i think there may be better shoes in the price range of the Giau's from Specialized and Northwave to name a couple.
 

·
Birdman aka JMJ
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Huh?

Pisgah said:
I would not recommend Dominators for anyone who is riding with hike-a-bikes (here and there) in any wet conditions. The soles will peel away. It happened to me with the last two shoes. The last Dominators only lasted 4 months for me.
My Dominator 2's are still going strong after over 8 years. I just replaced the straps & buckles, so I'm ready for another decade or so of use.

FWIW - I've done a few hike-a-bikes, but prefer to keep my shoes on the pedals where they belong. Also, I don't ride in the wet.

I've got a pair of Sidi Bullets on standby (screaming deal too good to pass up), but they've been sitting in the closet for almost 3 years, as the Dom's thankfully refuse to die.

I'll give any Sidi shoes the thumbs up.

JMJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts
Birdman said:
My Dominator 2's are still going strong after over 8 years. I just replaced the straps & buckles, so I'm ready for another decade or so of use.

FWIW - I've done a few hike-a-bikes, but prefer to keep my shoes on the pedals where they belong. Also, I don't ride in the wet.

I've got a pair of Sidi Bullets on standby (screaming deal too good to pass up), but they've been sitting in the closet for almost 3 years, as the Dom's thankfully refuse to die.

I'll give any Sidi shoes the thumbs up.

JMJ
HUH??

Any pair of mountain bike shoes lasting 8 years needs more use. I have owned dominators since 94. They used to last 2-4 years of hardcore (and I stress hardcore) use when the side of the shoe would finally blow out. However, my last pair's sole peeled away in a matter of months. The pair before that lasted about 8 or 9 months when the sole peeled away.

I gave up on them and I am warning others who are biking in wet, steep conditions that they should look elsewhere.
 

·
Birdman aka JMJ
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Pisgah said:
Any pair of mountain bike shoes lasting 8 years needs more use.
And they'll be getting more...:)

Must be a SS thing - moschika has 10 years on his - WTF?

Doesn't matter - 56cbr600rr went ahead and ought the Dominator 5's anyway (post #4).
 

·
Proud bike-o-holic
Joined
·
977 Posts
I hope the sole on your shoes last at least 10x times the rubber sole in mines. Good luck mines are interchangeable, so take care of yours since they aren´t.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top