Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
wow, so like....would it be a bad thing to have two DH/FR fully's ? :p

saw this on rs cycle http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.14976/.f?sc=7&category=459

god :p I think as soon as the MC is finished, I have to start saving for one. I've ridden the RST fork, its great actually. so do you think its worth saveing for it? I'm getting rid of a yakuza right now. but thats because its a big hardtail. this looks like a bike that could really play all day on the mountain. components are somewhat entry level. cranks, I have brand new hussefelts, those would replace the old ones. and if the hayes sole went out. I've got hayes "IH"2's to replace them.

so, good idea for a backup/playbike ? seems like such a sick price, reviews on the bike are great too.

heres the spec
* Category - DOWNHILL DUAL SUSPENSION SINGLE PIVOT
* Frame - 8" TRAVEL DUAL SUSPENSION SINGLE PIVOT W/ SEALED BEARINGS, 1.5 HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE
* Rear Shock - MANITOU METEL RP COIL, 9"X2.75"
* Fork - RST RAPIDE DUAL, 180MM TRAVEL
* Handle Bar - ALLOY DH, 31.8MM CLAMP
* Stem - TRUVATIV HUSSEFELT, 31.8MM CLAMP
* Headset - FSA 1.5 TO 1-1/8 REDUCER
* BB - TRUVATIV HOWITZER
* Crank - TRUVATIV RUKTION, 170MM
* RIngs - 38T STEEL
* Pedals - WELLGO ALLOY PLATFORM
* Chain - KMC Z72
* Saddle - SDG BEL AIR RL
* Seatpost - ALLOY 6061
* Front Hub - ALLOY DH DISC, THRU AXLE, 36H
* Rear Hub - ALLOY DH DISC, THRU AXLE, 36H
* Front Derailleur - E13 LG1
* Rear Derailleur - SHIMANO ALIVIO
* Shifter - SHIMANO ALIVIO RAPIDFIRE
* Cassette - SRAM PG-830, 11/32T, 8 SPEED
* Brakes - HAYES SOLE HD W/ V8 ROTOR
* Brake Lever - HAYES SOLE 2-FINGER
* Rim - WTB DUAL DUTY FR
* Spoke - 14G STAINLESS BLACK
* Tires - WTB TIMBERWOLF DH 2.7/2.5
* Size - 16", 17", 19"
* Colors - MATTE BLACK

·
Professional Troll
2,779 Posts
"high end specs"
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Shifters: Shimano Alivio RapidFire
Crankset: TruVativ Ruktion; 170mm; 38T Steel
Fork: RST Rapide Dual; 180mm

Not to be a douche bag, but that is a tad misleading. BTW don't get it, pointless

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, but while those "high end" ones go in the garbage, they get replaced with parts that I'll never use that are sitting around.

Shimano Deore
shifters would stay
brand new Truvativ hussefelts 26X36+bash
and the RST is actually an okay fork.

·
Registered
287 Posts
it looks like the seattube was designed by a monkey. but i could see why you would be interested. although i would like to know....who has a backup bike?
i dont think theres any more proper analogy than a backup wife...

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vardiel said:
it looks like the seattube was designed by a monkey. but i could see why you would be interested. although i would like to know....who has a backup bike?
i dont think theres any more proper analogy than a backup wife...
lol, backup bike. like, when I go up to whistler in july, I'll take bolth bikes. if I mess up my nice bike, I could still ride up there w/o paying like $70.00 a day for rentals. also if I just wanted to ride something other than my zone one day, it would be there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
also keep in mind that if your reading reviews off mtbr...keep in mind the market that the people writing the reviews belong to. If thats your first freeride bike ever your going to fkn LOVE it and its gunna be the best suspension, geometry, and comfortable riding bike you've had yet. If your steve peat...it would be a bit of a different perspective.

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
todd_freeride said:
lol, backup bike. like, when I go up to whistler in july, I'll take bolth bikes. if I mess up my nice bike, I could still ride up there w/o paying like $70.00 a day for rentals. also if I just wanted to ride something other than my zone one day, it would be there.
I would rather pay $70 for the rental than $900 for a bike that is going to get the same amount of use.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry guys, looks like I've got some bike fever. I just really like the bike, because I've NEVER seen anyone on one of these. barely anyone has ridden the RST fork {cept me} and I mean. I just hate spending so much on a FR/DH bike. because I would rather ditch something like this bike in a rock garden, or off a skinny than to ditch something like a VP free.

I mean, I just hate it sometimes. like, I only have good luck with the cheaper products. like, if I were to buy this bike, every component on there would probably outlast my zone. its like, my stance kingpin. fit perfictly on my bike, was the easiest installation of a DC fork I've ever gone through. whare as I get a 05 shiver, have spent like 10 hours trying to get it to go on my bike, and have come to the point of giving up. every high quality part has failed me, and I've never had like a cheap part fail me. 05 66 I broke, the kingpin served whistler, is still fine. now the 05 shiver wont fit. I mean, this bike has some nice features. like the e-thirteen chain guide, the RST fork, the metel rear shock. the frame is pretty nice, even if the RST had a problem, I could get something like a 1.5 sherman breakout and it would be such a nice bike.

I mean I've spent a lot into my Zone now. and yet it is starting to rattle, fork wont fit on there, headset is starting to suck, wheels are starting to get floppy. its not just because its a DH bike or anything, I dunno....I had a 04 bighit that I had bought for cheap, it had been ridden really hard, and kept completly stock, did it rattle and shake around ? no. it had a very similar build to my bike, just with a much crappier fork. and not as nice of a wheelset.

I'm a smooth rider, and take such good care of my bikes. I see something like this and think "okay, $899.99, cheap price, I know I can keep it running fine, I know its limits if it has any and I mean, with being put together as best as I can, it'll be a solid bike. I wont change out anything on it. just keep it as it is. thats what I did with my P.2, hell I'm still running the original drivetrain, even the rear wheel. and its never even thought about giving up.

also due to the fact that I've never seen one of these on the trail makes me want one. after the P.2 craze that went on, where everyone had a P.2 {which now everyone has a STP} I wanted to have something really different, and something that no one else was riding on the trail. its so much more interesting to be riding some odd bike, with a completely different fork and components. than to get to the bottom of whistler and see your fork on 50 different bikes. I mean, sure...maybe thats because that works well. and I'm sure it does. but riding something from a small different company like RST or Manitou makes me so much happier. I hate supporting marzocchi and rockshox. just tired of all the people that think "well, that bike doesn't have a marzocchi or a rockshox on it, it must suck then" and I mean, for $899.99 this bike looks like it can really take some abuse. sure maybe it doesn't come with hozfellers or saints, and it doesn't have a RC2X on the front of it, but C'mon, its just a different ride. maybe the RST is a great fork, but someone threw away that thought when they saw the brand name. I mean, sure. the $899.99 could take my ibex a little further, but then that would just be one more component that would get trashed anyway. this is DH and FR, components get hammered. I've had shimano acera's last longer than XT's. at the end of the day, something might brake, why go out and spend tons on it just for it to brake anyway.

and then, lets say I snapped my Zone, or I totaled my fork or wheelset. I could grab this bike, go back up the mountain and ride down the same lines. and then if I did upgrade anything on my zone, then the older "better" components would just go to this bike. like haveing brand new used like 4 times hussefelts, waiting to be put on something. I would be able to replace the howitzer's immediately.

gah, sorry about this rant. its just...sometimes people will see something, think "ohh, its not the absolute best" then say its a bad idea. I mean sure, thats your opinion. and thanks for giving your opinion. but the way I see it is "wow, for a cheap price, this looks like a bike that would be able to back me up in a bad situation. lets say some friends wanted to go hit blackrock the day after I totaled my fork. I could just jump on this and go. not only that, but then there could be some days where I leave my nice fully at home. and I could just go out and have fun on my cheap bike, not having to worry so much about my prized ibex.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
todd_freeride said:
Maybe you should get a back up bike IF YOU LIVE IN WHISTLER, fool!! Don't max out your MC on crap like this. You'll be beating you head against a wall later. If you have to, bring along some spare parts to Whistler, like complete set of Wheels, chain, cables, brakes or brake parts, or whatever usually blow through the most. With a second bike, you've just doubled your bike expenditures. One will always be broken because your scavenging off the 2nd, and any time some sweet new up grade comes along , you'll feel it's necesary to buy two. If you can afford it fine, but at least get some thing a little bit more higher quality.:madman: :incazzato:

·
Banned
316 Posts
todd_freeride said:

I'm a smooth rider, and take such good care of my bikes.

and then, lets say I snapped my Zone, or I totaled my fork or wheelset. I could grab this bike, go back up the mountain and ride down the same lines. .
Is it me or is this a crazy thought: Basically crushing your bike into pieces, then grab the cheapest FR?DH pile of crap and going back to hit it again; def a smooth rider. I hope you do not buy the cheapest helmet when you snap your frame, fork and wheelset.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Don't do it!

downhillross13 said:
who even makes the rst fork??? wouldnt buy it just because of that
I don't know about that rst fork but the ones we had on our rentals were a joke.
Aren't the Hayes Sole an x-c brake?

If you buy a dh bike for $900.00 chances are you'll have to put another $900.00 into it.

I've got a new Faith 2 (still in the box) I'd sell cheap. That comes with a junior t. Only $1,950.00 for a new bike.

Downhill Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, man. Do it. That's a freaking bargain!

It's like when I go to the strip clubs. All the hot chicks are taken, so I just get my lappies from the beat-down hoes. Less attitude and I can usually get a two for one!

...and if you believe that, I've got a bridge that I'll sell you cheap. Save your money, a $900 DH bike is most likely a $900 DH nightmare.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, since everyone here is displaying such ridiculous hate for the bike, I wont get it. if I had just the money sitting around, I'd buy it to prove you all wrong. no wonder people have stopped useing the mtbr forums. this really has...become the next pinkbike.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
todd_freeride said:
sorry guys, looks like I've got some bike fever. I just really like the bike, because I've NEVER seen anyone on one of these. barely anyone has ridden the RST fork {cept me} and I mean. I just hate spending so much on a FR/DH bike. because I would rather ditch something like this bike in a rock garden, or off a skinny than to ditch something like a VP free.

I mean, I just hate it sometimes. like, I only have good luck with the cheaper products. like, if I were to buy this bike, every component on there would probably outlast my zone. its like, my stance kingpin. fit perfictly on my bike, was the easiest installation of a DC fork I've ever gone through. whare as I get a 05 shiver, have spent like 10 hours trying to get it to go on my bike, and have come to the point of giving up. every high quality part has failed me, and I've never had like a cheap part fail me. 05 66 I broke, the kingpin served whistler, is still fine. now the 05 shiver wont fit. I mean, this bike has some nice features. like the e-thirteen chain guide, the RST fork, the metel rear shock. the frame is pretty nice, even if the RST had a problem, I could get something like a 1.5 sherman breakout and it would be such a nice bike.

I mean I've spent a lot into my Zone now. and yet it is starting to rattle, fork wont fit on there, headset is starting to suck, wheels are starting to get floppy. its not just because its a DH bike or anything, I dunno....I had a 04 bighit that I had bought for cheap, it had been ridden really hard, and kept completly stock, did it rattle and shake around ? no. it had a very similar build to my bike, just with a much crappier fork. and not as nice of a wheelset.

I'm a smooth rider, and take such good care of my bikes. I see something like this and think "okay, $899.99, cheap price, I know I can keep it running fine, I know its limits if it has any and I mean, with being put together as best as I can, it'll be a solid bike. I wont change out anything on it. just keep it as it is. thats what I did with my P.2, hell I'm still running the original drivetrain, even the rear wheel. and its never even thought about giving up.

also due to the fact that I've never seen one of these on the trail makes me want one. after the P.2 craze that went on, where everyone had a P.2 {which now everyone has a STP} I wanted to have something really different, and something that no one else was riding on the trail. its so much more interesting to be riding some odd bike, with a completely different fork and components. than to get to the bottom of whistler and see your fork on 50 different bikes. I mean, sure...maybe thats because that works well. and I'm sure it does. but riding something from a small different company like RST or Manitou makes me so much happier. I hate supporting marzocchi and rockshox. just tired of all the people that think "well, that bike doesn't have a marzocchi or a rockshox on it, it must suck then" and I mean, for $899.99 this bike looks like it can really take some abuse. sure maybe it doesn't come with hozfellers or saints, and it doesn't have a RC2X on the front of it, but C'mon, its just a different ride. maybe the RST is a great fork, but someone threw away that thought when they saw the brand name. I mean, sure. the $899.99 could take my ibex a little further, but then that would just be one more component that would get trashed anyway. this is DH and FR, components get hammered. I've had shimano acera's last longer than XT's. at the end of the day, something might brake, why go out and spend tons on it just for it to brake anyway.

and then, lets say I snapped my Zone, or I totaled my fork or wheelset. I could grab this bike, go back up the mountain and ride down the same lines. and then if I did upgrade anything on my zone, then the older "better" components would just go to this bike. like haveing brand new used like 4 times hussefelts, waiting to be put on something. I would be able to replace the howitzer's immediately.

gah, sorry about this rant. its just...sometimes people will see something, think "ohh, its not the absolute best" then say its a bad idea. I mean sure, thats your opinion. and thanks for giving your opinion. but the way I see it is "wow, for a cheap price, this looks like a bike that would be able to back me up in a bad situation. lets say some friends wanted to go hit blackrock the day after I totaled my fork. I could just jump on this and go. not only that, but then there could be some days where I leave my nice fully at home. and I could just go out and have fun on my cheap bike, not having to worry so much about my prized ibex.
Just curious, but being the same price, why wouldn't you buy another Ibex Zone?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.